Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid question that's surely answered already but, did you need to do anything special (Like removing a plastic thingy for example?) for the lights to work? Just picked mine up and neither the stand nor the vader lights are working. The fact both aren't lighting up makes me feel like I did something wrong more than a possible QC issue.

All three in fact, Vader and both stands, have a plastic inserts preventing the batteries from touching the contacts - you'll need to remove the battery doors to get the plastic out, then put them back and you should be golden.

All three in fact, Vader and both stands, have a plastic inserts preventing the batteries from touching the contacts - you'll need to remove the battery doors to get the plastic out, then put them back and you should be golden.

Ah alright, was worried a second there, thanks! Got confused since usually the plastic thing is outside of the battery compartment.

Ah alright, was worried a second there, thanks! Got confused since usually the plastic thing is outside of the battery compartment.

That's what I'm used to as well - something with a tab you can pull out. The battery compartments on this guy are very tight fitting and inset, which would probably make it difficult or impossible to pull a piece of plastic through the edges.

It was actually me that reported Rory's post, in the slim hope that this thread wouldn't once again descend into being the Rory vs PP show again like it did earlier in the year.

I guess it has to be a differing size thing. Its hard to believe, but I assure you my Vader fits fully erect and on his lighted stand. I believe others who have not experienced the same, but wonder where the size difference lies. I wonder if maybe its not the Detolfs that are different. A more likely scenario?

I guess it has to be a differing size thing. Its hard to believe, but I assure you my Vader fits fully erect and on his lighted stand. I believe others who have not experienced the same, but wonder where the size difference lies. I wonder if maybe its not the Detolfs that are different. A more likely scenario?

You're reading too much into it. There's some difference in height probably because of the head/helmet and I've noticed too that the plastics on the display base are uneven, but when I originally said "no" I also said it was the short answer. Technically it "fits" but it's not necessarily "fit" for display. Here's an example: A 68" wide car will "fit" into a 70" wide space between two other cars (or a garage, whatever). It's just not practical. If you need to do it and want to make sure you can see him, put him up as high as possible. My tallest Vader, Kenner 1977, sits on the top shelf of a Detolf that's up an additional 27". I can see the entire figure - it was a compromise because he's part of a Kenner vs. Hasbro 20 year display.

My Sideshow vader is on the second (from the bottom) shelf of a Detolf, though the shelf is custom plexi and vader is being modified for height and not displayed on his stand. Anyone up to 6'2" tall or so can stand as close as 1 foot away from the cabinet and still see the whole figure, even though the shelf above is completely opaque.

Last edited:
Second from bottom shelf of Detolf. "Fit for display" IMO.
On stand. Vader is standing fully upright. Plenty of head clearance. I don't have a dog.

Last edited:
Plenty of head clearance.

Take the picture again from 2 feet away standing up - with the camera at eye level (of course). That picture looks like it was taken with a shoe camera or a regular camera sitting on the floor, not exactly viewing height. Nothing wrong with being contrarian, but distorted images and vantage points aren't really adding to the proof.

Then maybe try putting a saber in Vader's hand so he's swinging it. Maybe in both hands in one of the classic poses. Most people will see it doesn't "fit" when there's 1/2" or less above the figure's dome. Just like you can't open the doors in a car squeezed into a parking spot only just as wide as itself.

I don't have a dog.

That's too bad, they're excellent pets, and for Halloween can easily be dressed in any number of Star Wars related costumes, some even fit for display with 1/6 figures.

Last edited:
Take the picture again from 2 feet away standing up- with the camera at eye level (of course). That picture looks like it was taken with a shoe camera or a regular camera sitting on the floor, not exactly viewing height. Nothing wrong with being contrarian, but distorted images and vantage points aren't really adding to the proof.

Vader fits (both technically and aesthetically) perfectly well in a detolf on his official stand.

It's misleading to any collectors that are getting Vader to state otherwise.

Here is:
* SS Vader
* Un-modded, stock height
* Standing fully upright
* On SS official lighting stand
* With plenty of head room
* Displayed properly
* As visible as any figure would be on the second from bottom shelf of a detolf.
* No lens distortion
* Shot straight on: two feet away (although I didn't use my ruler)
* Professional camera
* Professional Photographer (me)

:lol

And I thought you had me on ignore? You keep saying that you have? Please put me on ignore as I was not talking to you and I do not wish to correspond with you further. Thanks.
Bye bye now..

:duff

Last edited:
I see what everyone is saying. Yes, it fits, but there is only about .5 inch of clearance and some might not find that acceptable. I guess I didn't consider it an issue, but if you want Vader in a pose that has his ignited saber any higher than the top of his head, there could be an issue.

Rory, that is a very cool display. I'd like to see it all.

Nice set up Rorywan :)

That ED-209 is a beast!!!!!

Mine's a regular. Came out about two months back. No clue why Sideshow's page says '2nd Qtr 2015'.

I contacted Sideshow. The 2015 date is correct. Apparently they only received a partial shipment of the regular editions. So ya, I won't have Vader for another 10-12 months :( Oh well.

Nice set up Rorywan :)

That ED-209 is a beast!!!!!

I contacted Sideshow. The 2015 date is correct. Apparently they only received a partial shipment of the regular editions. So ya, I won't have Vader for another 10-12 months :( Oh well.

Thanks man, and my god that's a long wait! :(

Rory, that is a very cool display. I'd like to see it all.
Cheers man :duff I will post pics once I get it all sorted out.

What I like about rory's pic is the ED just looks like a robot pup photo bombing his Pic. :lol

Got to finally see this figure in person at Midtown Comics the other day, it does look really nice..... extremely tempted to grab one w/ an upcoming month's coupon... The new PF is what's really holding me back. If the reveal looks awesome, I might save for that instead.

Back