Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like in the flicks, Vader is a imposing force and the SS figure represents that on the shelf.

I only ever found his presence augmented by his all-black costume, mechanical breathing and Jedi force. All things considered, he never towered above anyone in the movies and there are many scenes in each where he's standing right next to someone else for comparison. Granted Luke and Boba are somewhat short compared to other characters, but so were many of the troopers, that's why I'd love to see a shot with one. I have to wait until the evening of the 31st before I open mine up. ;)

Yep, that day will be sweet.:D

Yep more likely later than sooner but a sweet day none the less. :wink1:

He is at least a inch too tall.....but once on the shelf with other figures, it doesn't matter. Better he be a bit too large than a bit too small.

Like in the flicks, Vader is a imposing force and the SS figure represents that on the shelf.

Thin arms aside, he is a fantastic looking figure. And the arms really aren't skinny. The arms look bigger than the muscle bodies available. The body is large. I put the decent sized Reeve body I was thinking of using and it is dwarfed.

Thanks for the info mate.

I agree I would rather he was a tad bit bigger than being shorter and as you say Vader just like in the movies should have a physical imposing presence in your collection.

I'm getting mine from Collectibles Direct. They have an estimated release date of April, but it may be earlier or later...:dunno

Ouch. That could be a very long and frustrating wait, what with all these new photos going up.

There again, I'm still awaiting Hot Toys' Hulk, so I've given up visiting the MMS186 thread!

I'm already impatient for Han and Luke Hoth.

11882461536_7d35c7bcec_o.jpg

The helmet looks awesome here! Nice pic.

Just watching ESB n 1080p right now. It's funny how wide the helmet is in the movie - much more so than this figure. In some scenes it's almost comically wide, reminding me of Darth Helmet in Spaceballs.

While this thing looks awesome in isolation and without reference, it still has a number of issues.

These are most easily seen to me:

1. Body too tall
2. Helmet too narrow (in proportion to overall figure)
3. Neck portion of mask too tall/elongated (in proportion to full helmet)

I can't find a scene so far in ESB that doesn't show the above (I'm about 2/5 of the way through)

Vader is awesome. Totally happy with it. Wasn't happy paying $250 though, would have preferred a basic Vader figure, sans huge stand I'll never use, mask display I'll never use and lights I'll never use.

Here's some quick shots.

Incidentally, the display dome works fan-fawkin-tastic on ANH Vader :yess: :yess:

Oh, wrapped some gardeners tap around the forearms to beef them up, worked great. Also hacked off some of the mask under the dome to make it sit more to my preference, cool that Sideshow has the scared back of Vader's head under the dome, even though no one will ever see it.

Also height is a non issue with me this time around, its still too big but not enough to waist time or money on mods.

Everything is such a HUGE improvement over ANH Vader. Top to bottom, everything screams quality. Better than any Sideshow 1/6 product I've seen in hand.

King returns!!

Nice job on lowering the helmet.

And agree on the stand. It's nice but HUGE. Should have come with a standard stand.

King returns!!

Nice job on lowering the helmet.

And agree on the stand. It's nice but HUGE. Should have come with a standard stand.

Its take more than death to kill me!

Yeah, lack of standard stand is lame. For $250 throw me a cheap $1 stand :duh

The height of the figure is just too much. After having him displayed with my other figs, it was just too distracting and made the collection look off or not as uniform. The figure is beautiful but he will most likely be going into his own display case. Here is a reference pic I posted earlier.

Question about Emarae's video: After he clipped the display mask into the reveal head did it damage anything?

Invictus- Which Luke is that? Is it custom or bashed?
That's Evilface's Luke. Base figure is the HT DX-07 Bespin Luke with a custom outfit. I agree it looks great.

Question about Emarae's video: After he clipped the display mask into the reveal head did it damage anything?
Good video but I was going to mention that, too. Sounded like the mask was really scratching the sides of the face and especially the ears. Wouldn't be putting it on that sculpt, myself. Agree with the other reviewers that it's not really meant for that, although technically it can be done.

The futzing makes this figure look excellent, I'm really tempted to try and customize my older Hurricane Vader with a more poseable body. Also, for me, the height would be bothersome. I found this pic from ROTJ and these proportions seem ideal for me. Maybe they had Mark standing on a box or something, judging from everyone else's stills and pictures.
huhyde8u.jpg

Your shots are excellent King....I'll take your suggestion on the arms....looks very good. Can't wait for this to make it up my way...

And the lack of a basic stand....some HT releases are suffering from the same omission lately (I'm lookin' at you MOS figures)...for what these cost, tossing in a basic stand should be a given...

The futzing makes this figure look excellent, I'm really tempted to try and customize my older Hurricane Vader with a more poseable body. Also, for me, the height would be bothersome. I found this pic from ROTJ and these proportions seem ideal for me. Maybe they had Mark standing on a box or something, judging from everyone else's stills and pictures.
huhyde8u.jpg

Luke is standing on a higher step than Vader. :lecture

Great pics King! :goodpost:

From your photos the mask/helmet look like Vader from TESB or ROTJ or both....:wink1:

Joking aside thanks again King for the pics and your custom review.

Back