Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics as always, King. :duff

So I guess my plan to keep you away forever failed. :(

His wife must've forgotten to lock the keys to his cage and King took the advantage. Sadly she won't be gone forever and as soon as she is back, King will return to his cage. :monkey2

Height comparison. This has probably been posted before.

lIIOgtU.jpg

Great photos guys!

Tony Meis - which is the custom part on the Vader in your pics? Looks like the figure "out of the box".
Is it wearing one of your custom capes and robes or is that the Sideshow one?
Just asking because of the "Custom Vader by Tone Mei" title that you've got on the first pic.

These in hand photos are superb!

Can anyone confirm whether the mask is the same size as the ANH version, or is it smaller. I would love to see someone put a Hasbro dome on this one although it's good to see that they improved it over the ANH dome.

Custom Vader
- custom robe and cape with heavier fabric for natural drape and hanging appearance

- Shave the side of the body to allow arms to rest lower

- custom inner suit to make the arms a bit thicker

Will take more picture with better lighting soon :)

Ouch. That could be a very long and frustrating wait, what with all these new photos going up.

There again, I'm still awaiting Hot Toys' Hulk, so I've given up visiting the MMS186 thread!

I'm already impatient for Han and Luke Hoth.

I don't mind waiting to be honest. It gives me some more time to pay it off anyway.:lol

Luke is standing on a higher step than Vader. :lecture

I don't think so. Hamill 5'9", David Prowse 6'5" (but supposedly more like 6'4") The offset is about the same as the elevator scene in ESB. You can also see that taller actors like Billy Dee Williams (6') and Harrison Ford (6'1") are not much shorter than Helmeted Vader in ESB.

Your shots are excellent King....I'll take your suggestion on the arms....looks very good. .

Thanks jb.

Yeah, it takes a bit of effort to get the lower sleeve over, but the material stretches well.

Great pics as always, King. :duff

Thanks sir!

Batty said:
So I guess my plan to keep you away forever failed. :(

Jerk!
Great pics King! :goodpost:

From your photos the mask/helmet look like Vader from TESB or ROTJ or both....:wink1:

Joking aside thanks again King for the pics and your custom review.

:lol....thanks shockwave.

His wife must've forgotten to lock the keys to his cage and King took the advantage. Sadly she won't be gone forever and as soon as she is back, King will return to his cage. :monkey2

I actually fashioned a key from bone and hair fragments I have been secretly stashing when she goes to work. Now I can let myself out whenever I want :yess:
Height comparison. This has probably been posted before.

lIIOgtU.jpg

So what you're saying is we need Imperial Guards? I agree.

Agree. And since everyone will have them in standing pose like that. Put them on a tall Buck body and sell em cheap!

I don't think so. Hamill 5'9", David Prowse 6'5" (but supposedly more like 6'4") The offset is about the same as the elevator scene in ESB. You can also see that taller actors like Billy Dee Williams (6') and Harrison Ford (6'1") are not much shorter than Helmeted Vader in ESB.

If you look at the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes, pre-duel, Vader is always about a head taller than Luke.

This reminds me of the Man of Steel fig debates, and my feeling is the same: it doesn't really matter how tall the actors are in real life, what matters is how tall they are portrayed to be in the movie. If you got a Bilbo figure, you wouldn't want it to be 11.5 inches tall to be consistent with Martin Freeman.

Holy crap just imagined a 1/6th scale display with the Emperor, throne and guards with Vader at his side. Mega!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Question about Emarae's video: After he clipped the display mask into the reveal head did it damage anything?

That's Evilface's Luke. Base figure is the HT DX-07 Bespin Luke with a custom outfit. I agree it looks great.

Good video but I was going to mention that, too. Sounded like the mask was really scratching the sides of the face and especially the ears. Wouldn't be putting it on that sculpt, myself. Agree with the other reviewers that it's not really meant for that, although technically it can be done.

Sorry, I haven't been following all the posts on this thread, but in regards to the mask on the reveal head, it doesn't touch the face at all if you slide the mask forward onto the head as I did in the video. If you were to slide it down over the head, then you'll surely end up scratching the head. There appears to be grooves in the proper areas to allow for the mask to slide onto the reveal head. If done carefully and with two hands instead of one the way I did in my vid, the mask should stop right before the ears, so the ears shouldn't get scratched. If anything, the mask just barely touched the lower ear lobe.

Dunno, that sounds awfully short for Prowse in costume. He says he was about 6' 9" (13.5" in 1:6).

Sorry, I haven't been following all the posts on this thread, but in regards to the mask on the reveal head, it doesn't touch the face at all if you slide the mask forward onto the head as I did in the video. If you were to slide it down over the head, then you'll surely end up scratching the head. There appears to be grooves in the proper areas to allow for the mask to slide onto the reveal head. If done carefully and with two hands instead of one the way I did in my vid, the mask should stop right before the ears, so the ears shouldn't get scratched. If anything, the mask just barely touched the lower ear lobe.
Ah, good to know, Emarae. That's a good point in that when the other reviewers talked about putting the mask on, it was from the top down, as opposed to sliding it on. Didn't realize there was a groove for it. Thanks for the info and review.

If you look at the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes, pre-duel, Vader is always about a head taller than Luke.

This reminds me of the Man of Steel fig debates, and my feeling is the same: it doesn't really matter how tall the actors are in real life, what matters is how tall they are portrayed to be in the movie. If you got a Bilbo figure, you wouldn't want it to be 11.5 inches tall to be consistent with Martin Freeman.

That tallies with the Lucas quote about the ESB duel scene I posted:

George Lucas said:
I like this shot in particular. It's a big long-lens shot that Kersh did. Stacks everything up and makes Vader look huge and Luke look very small, very weak and Vader very powerful.

In one respect that helps the situation, but ideally all characters would be the correct height.

Judging heights from film stills isn't easy due to camera angles and whether or not the actors are on the same level or at the same depth.

Having seen the proportions of the Vader figure and how good he looks, I doubt I'll put him on another body. I'll just have to live with him being imposing.

You did see the part where I said I had the 1080p version of ESB running at the same time as I was posting right? And I can move through the film frame by frame forwards or in reverse. I was combing through the video for some posing ideas for my bespin dual display. Still not sure how I'll situate the figures within the Detolf shelf, but I know one thing for sure - neither of them ever wields the saber in their left hand. ;)

This Vader figure is way too tall when displayed along side the other 1/6 SW releases (HT Luke, SSC Troopers, SSC Boba, etc.) - much more than 1/4" - I hope I can pose them together without making that obvious or failing that, can make some simple mods to hide the fact.

This reminds me of the Man of Steel fig debates, and my feeling is the same: it doesn't really matter how tall the actors are in real life, what matters is how tall they are portrayed to be in the movie.

The Hobbit example was good, unrelated because I'm going only by the appearance on-screen, but good with regards to character versus actor. The MOS example however is bad, because the character's height, portrayed on screen, is precisely the actor's height in real life in this case. Hot Toys completely screwed the pooch with that one. Scale isn't important to everyone, but it's pretty important to some, including myself.

Dunno, that sounds awfully short for Prowse in costume. He says he was about 6' 9" (13.5" in 1:6).

I didn't mean to imply that Prowse was only 6'4" or 5" in costume. But every scene he appears in with another character in each of the three movies quite clearly shows that this figure is far too tall. That behind the scenes shot of him and Hamill is also how they appear together in the elevator when Luke's hands are shackled. The DX07 does not stack up to this figure in the same way.

Incidentally, not bearing any relevance to the original movies, but Darth Vader's "new" retcon height is 202cm (or 6' 7.5") in costume.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that Prowse was only 6'4" or 5" in costume. But every scene he appears in with another character in each of the three movies quite clearly shows that this figure is far too tall.
Yep, no argument there. What I'd really like to know is exactly how tall the figure is. Sideshow lists it as 13.5", which we know is inaccurate, but he's clearly shorter than ANH Vader (I think Pixletwin said that figure is 14.25" stock). I actually think he may be 'only' a 1/4" too tall at 13.75", but it would be good to know for sure.

Back