Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the original and 1st SS ESB/ROTJ Deluxe Vader release, and to this day it is still perfect. No issues I can see. Granted I don't touch any of my figures much once I put them on display. He has been on display for about 4 years.

I got him today, I'm really happy with how he looks! The latest version is definitely a good option, worthy of competing against the Hot Toys one.

Check my Instagram for more photos! @scalegalaxy https://www.instagram.com/scalegalaxy/

img_20200518_170442_462.jpg

Its not a bad figure but as a longtime owner it doesn't hold a candle to the hot toys Vaders, none of them are perfect but in hand the oversized mouth triangle and lower eye section makes the sideshow mask the least accurate of the bunch. His hands tho were my favorite until the ESB version by hot toys.

I want the reveal head from ROTJ, but I ordered this guy, as I'm sure by the time HT makes ROTJ Vader, he's going to be around $400. I like the tall look without the overweight look of the HT's with the giant helmet, so I'm going to be happy to finally have Vader (and all the main characters from ANH) in my collection. I'm not as **** retentive about the minutia of the details as some; so if it looks like Vader, it's good enough for me. (But I really want that reveal head -- even if I just have it displayed on a stand next to fully costumed Vader).

Just curious, have any of the last SST vaders had flaking pleather issues?

The pleather material used here is diff from HT and i'd say it would last longer. Just dont apply any leather conditioning stuff or get the pleather wet in general as I have tried it before and the results were disastrous lol. The pleather coating loosened up its adhesive features on the fibrous fabric material on the suit and ended up with loose patchy parts that tears on touch. I had to strip parts of it down and repair the suit with those leather repair creams.... lesson learned XD

Realized a couple weeks ago the Vader I ordered wasn?t the HT Vader but the sideshow one... last payment in 2 days too lol what an L

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's your first time cancelling anything with them or did not ask for any special consideration if you did cancel before, you can talk to customer service about it.

Mistakes happen. At the very lease they may transfer your NRD, which is a one time option.

I just picked this up for $170. Felt like that was a good enough deal to give it a shot. Looking forward to seeing how this compares to my Hot Toys V1 ANH Vader. Planning on replacing the SS body and boots with the HT. Maybe the cape as well. Going to also mod the ignited lightsaber to accept the HT blade

Last edited:
I have points to burn and thinking of getting this Vader. Is he worth it?

Having just received this, while I do really like it more than my HT ANH Vader (v1) overall, considering the reissue of the HT ESB is only a few bucks more than this at retail ($235 vs $285), you should either get that one or wait for the eventual 1/6 HT ROTJ version. I only paid $170 for it and at that price, I think it's pretty great. With some mods, this will be my only Vader.

He's OK, but the body is way too tall, and the cape isn't great.

Yup I agree with this statement. For someone who doesn't know all the exact detailed differences between Vaders like myself, here is my pros and con list of this SS Vader vs my original HT ANH Vader:

PROS:
-molded gloves and specifically the belt box holding gloves. Those are too cool and I like them better than the HT ESB ones.
-Wrist peg in each glove makes swapping easier.
-Easy on and off switch for the lights on the belt and chest boxes. HT makes this more difficult. I always had to use tweezers.
-Body suit, leather belts and straps feel stronger/better.
-Body (in terms of articulation) I felt worked better than my HT body and looks a bit more natural in the suit. Though when the arms are at his sides, they do flair out a bit, so might have to dremel some under arm/upper rib areas to get them to sit more flush.

CONS:
-However, the SS body is too tall.
-Ignited lightsaber blade just looks weird. I'm modding mine to receive the HT red blade and so I can get a "in-motion" blade to attach as well.
-Very soft details on the shin guards. not nearly as crisp as Hot Toys. Going to try to replace them with the HT ones.
-Head sits too high on the body also contributing to the height problem. I'm going to dremel out some excess plastic so it can sit lower hopefully.
-Stand is basic plain black SS stand. I'm using the HT one currently.
-Cape and inner robe. I've got the HT cape on mine and will eventually get an HT ESB or ROTJ inner robe when I get a chance.
-No reveal head. If this is supposed to be an ROTJ version, a reveal head is a must IMO. They could've just reused their original for all I care. Or do the partial back reveal from ESB since that sculpt is actually under the the dome.

Equal/Things I don't mind:
-Head/helmets are pretty on par with each other. But again, I don't know the finer details like others. I can see the differences between the two (as there should be) but they both look like their respective movie helmets to me.
-Details on the lightsaber hilt hold up to HT IMO
-No LED light-up saber arm. I only used it once on my HT as they remain being a POA to attach and to get to the switch.
-No breathing/movie quote body. As cool as that feature is on the V1 ANH, I only used it once when I originally opened it to show my ex "how cool!" the feature was at the time. And it's also a POA to get to and turn on.
-Two-piece boots. I don't mind them as you can't really see them behind the inner robe anyway. It's just the lack of detail on the shin guards that bothers me.

When HT releases their ROTJ version I'll either sell this one at the same price I bought it at, or just buy the reveal head, cape and inner robe separately.

Even with the cons, they're nothing I can't fix. I personally am really enjoying it. I was pretty impressed with it when I opened it up and if I hadn't had a HT one to compare it to, I would've been just fine with it as is (minus the base-that would need to be ungraded regardless).

For $170, this isn't a bad Vader at all and I'm happy to have it replace my ANH V1 Vader. Thinking back, I honestly can't believe I paid the retail $300 for the original HT ANH V1 Vader especially considering the HT ESB and this SS Vader are cheaper and IMO better. When it comes to that, I think this SS version beats out the HT ANH V1.

Last edited:
Back