Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
662f1ddb68527731d3988ab6101add77.jpg

I received my empire Vader last night. The sideshow one makes it?s look like lord helmet. I still both and keeping both. But I was in shock at how much better the sideshow one was. I bought a spare empire robe and put it on my sideshow Vader and boots as well. I don?t think I?ll be getting a hot toys rotj Vader. Just need a RO or ANH Vader to complete the Vader collection.

I received my empire Vader last night. The sideshow one makes it?s look like lord helmet. I still both and keeping both. But I was in shock at how much better the sideshow one was. I bought a spare empire robe and put it on my sideshow Vader and boots as well. I don?t think I?ll be getting a hot toys rotj Vader. Just need a RO or ANH Vader to complete the Vader collection.

The best out of box Vader IMHO is the Hot Toys Rogue One Vader. But I love my custom, I think the SS body is a lot better. I think SS changed the helmet from my version but at the time I preferred the HT helmet over my SS one.

The ESB HT Vader is def off proportionally. T. rex arms, stout and the helmet is very off. Almost bug like. And way too big.

I maintain that the best release so far has been the Rogue One Vader. Had better proportions, had the better shiny ANH helmet. Where HTs really kills it is the robes, belt, chest box, boots...materials. So for all their Vader?s they really win there.

But for me Vader is about presence. He is intimidating (big, broad, thick) and the ESB HTs does NOT invoke that.

af5c7749cbff9a8e307be1a552bad169.jpg

65e6e288544109fcf8495dea1290459e.jpg

a09aa07efcbf22c0d804bcb9fd608fba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate to your shock! I had the sideshow v1 Deluxe ESB / ROTJ Vader and so i expected that this one wouldn't compare to the Hot Toys ESB. It really is a better figure in a lot of ways. Considering that it is cheaper than the current aftermarket prices for the Hot Toys Vaders, it is a better option for most people that don't want to wait for the inevitable Hot Toys ROTJ.

Bebe13junior, i agree with the bug like qualities of the ESB Hot Toys Vader's eyes. the slant, size, and lifted dome create this effect. And the tusks being slanted down give it the impression of a long face. Both the Hot Toys ANH/RO and Sideshow newest helmet are much better.

For anyone wanting to get the Sideshow vader with the new dome, keep in mind that you can tell which one has the new dome by the box. You want the box to look like this:

https://www.sideshow.com/storage/product-images/1000763/darth-vader_star-wars_gallery_5d4b2c8011a6a.jpg

The box for the one with the old dome looks similar but the pose is slightly different.

I received my empire Vader last night. The sideshow one makes it's look like lord helmet. I still like both and keeping both. But I was in shock at how much better the sideshow one was. I bought a spare empire robe and put it on my sideshow Vader and boots as well. I don't think I'll be getting a hot toys rotj Vader. Just need a RO or ANH Vader to complete the Vader collection.

Yea considering how much flack SS gets for their figures (rightfully so a lot of the time), their recent Vader is fantastic IMO and your comparison I think shows that off pretty well. I had the V1 ANH Vader and thought it was amazing until I got the SS Vader years (for only $180 too!). I've got mine with ESB boots and HT display stand.

Do the blacks of the HT ESB robes match that of the cape of Sideshow? And do they fit pretty well? It looks pretty close in the pic, but just want to verify in case I want to pick one up for mine. I tried the HT ANH robe on the SS and it was too big for it. It peaked out of the shoulders and the arm holes hung too low exposing the straps of the chest box

Last edited:
Yea considering how much flack SS gets for their figures (rightfully so a lot of the time), their recent Vader is fantastic IMO and your comparison I think shows that off pretty well. I had the V1 ANH Vader and thought it was amazing until I got the SS Vader years (for only $180 too!). I've got mine with ESB boots and HT display stand.

Do the blacks of the HT ESB robes match that of the cape of Sideshow? And do they fit pretty well? It looks pretty close in the pic, but just want to verify in case I want to pick one up for mine. I tried the HT ANH robe on the SS and it was too big for it. It peaked out of the shoulders and the arm holes hung too low exposing the straps of the chest box

The robe on my sideshow is a hot toys 40th Vader robe.

The robe on my sideshow is a hot toys 40th Vader robe.

Right…I understood that. I’m just curious how the fit is, meaning is it not too big for the sideshow figure? I tried out an ANH robe on mine (which turned out to be too big), so I was asking for a bit of clarification on the size of the ESB robe you used before I purchase one. Such as if the arm holes were too big that they’d expose the chest box straps under the arms and if the black fabric of the HT ESB robe matched up well with the black of the Sideshow cape in person. Hope that helps any confusion on what I was originally asking. Thanks

Right?I understood that. I?m just curious how the fit is, meaning is it not too big for the sideshow figure? I tried out an ANH robe on mine (which turned out to be too big), so I was asking for a bit of clarification on the size of the ESB robe you used before I purchase one. Such as if the arm holes were too big that they?d expose the chest box straps under the arms and if the black fabric of the HT ESB robe matched up well with the black of the Sideshow cape in person. Hope that helps any confusion on what I was originally asking. Thanks

Not at all large . It actually fits really well andit will line up perfectly with the lines on the armor. Also, there is enough space in the arm hole for the wire to come through.

I raised the the exposure on my camera to get better look at the masks, so the blacks aren?t accurate in the picture. The cape and robe go well together.

I got the SS Vader last week and am impressed with the improvements. A few things I wanted to add that may have not been mentioned in previous posts are the gloves are all pegged which makes it much easier the switch out , the body suit is made from better materials so its much less likely for them to break down, and the chain on the cape is metal.

I got the SS Vader last week and am impressed with the improvements. A few things I wanted to add that may have not been mentioned in previous posts are the gloves are all pegged which makes it much easier the switch out , the body suit is made from better materials so its much less likely for them to break down, and the chain on the cape is metal.

Your chain is metal? I got rubber.

Mine is rubber is well. Lordscum, could you post a picture of your vader? I wonder if they made any other changes.

Mine is rubber is well. Lordscum, could you post a picture of your vader? I wonder if they made any other changes.

Well I stand corrected , mine is rubber as well. I keep mine in the box so when I got it I gave a good once over and put it on my shelf. I assumed that it was a metal chain since the original deluxe version was . I did get a good look around the neck area of the cape and it looks pretty good. Still very happy with my purchase . After seeing the HT ESB figure next to other Vaders , wow that helmet and height don't look good. I have the first run version and bought a 40th anniversary box to switch it over too so I am keeping it . but won't be getting the ROTJ version. I also bought a loose 2-pac Vader off FB and it looks really good.

I'm still pleased with my SSC DLX Vader (the first version). The body and outfit is holding up okay. I just like the proportions better compared to the HT one. Like the HT Maul, it's is a decent looking and well-produced figure, it just looks "off" somehow.

This is my favorite Vader in the collection...

At the landing platform on Bespin...
VADER-DLX-037.jpg

At Mustafar visiting the past...
VADER-DLX-035.jpg

I may pick up the new SSC version at some point...I'll wait until some more folks have it "in hand" and read what the consensus ends up being. In the meantime, the HT one is going back in the box.

Beautiful pics as usual Jedibear :clap

It's sad that we now have to worry about the newest batches becoming downgrades. I do wish the current SSC Vader had as many hands at the original Deluxe along with the unmasked headsculpt.

Not at all large . It actually fits really well and it will line up perfectly with the lines on the armor. Also, there is enough space in the arm hole for the wire to come through.

I raised the the exposure on my camera to get better look at the masks, so the blacks aren't accurate in the picture. The cape and robe go well together.
awesome thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it.

I can't believe I just made the plunge into an RotJ QS Vader. It's a figure I have wanted for a long time, found a great price, and I am happy about it. But I have a feeling, having made the purchase, HT is about to announce a 1:6 RotJ Vader any minute now. :crying/:lol

I can't believe I just made the plunge into an RotJ QS Vader. It's a figure I have wanted for a long time, found a great price, and I am happy about it. But I have a feeling, having made the purchase, HT is about to announce a 1:6 RotJ Vader any minute now. :crying/:lol

Probably won?t be as good as that quarter scale you have there.

Received today. QS is a bit overwhelming. I?m a bit awe-struck.

Discovered his left tusk was broken off. But I dug around in his packaging and found it. Glued it back on. Easy fix.

Now... where/how to display him...

Modded the HT ESB codpiece and got that to work on my SS figure. I think I'm done with mods now. I tried the ESB robe, but my OCD just didn't like the difference in fabric between the HT robe and the SS cape and robe. So I just ironed the SS robe to help make it's pleats more defined. Only thing left is to either find a reasonably priced SS reveal head or wait for HT to release their 1/6 ROTJ Vader and grab the head from that one.

Received today. QS is a bit overwhelming. I'm a bit awe-struck.

Discovered his left tusk was broken off. But I dug around in his packaging and found it. Glued it back on. Easy fix.

Now... where/how to display him...

Not to be "that" guy, but if you're talking about the Hot Toys Quarter Scale Vader, this isn't the thread you're looking for. This thread is for the Sideshow 1/6 ROTJ Vader.

Here's the link to the Hot Toys QS figure and will probably be more useful to you:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157131&page=234

Modded the HT ESB codpiece and got that to work on my SS figure. I think I'm done with mods now. I tried the ESB robe, but my OCD just didn't like the difference in fabric between the HT robe and the SS cape and robe. So I just ironed the SS robe to help make it's pleats more defined. Only thing left is to either find a reasonably priced SS reveal head or wait for HT to release their 1/6 ROTJ Vader and grab the head from that one.

Not to be "that" guy, but if you're talking about the Hot Toys Quarter Scale Vader, this isn't the thread you're looking for. This thread is for the Sideshow 1/6 ROTJ Vader.

Here's the link to the Hot Toys QS figure and will probably be more useful to you:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157131&page=234

How did you mod the cod piece? I have An extra one but found it to be to small.

Back