Statue Sideshow Dinosauria Mosasaur Statue/Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The statue is as pretty as I expect, but I find out that Sideshow usually prefer to make 'female' dinosaurs, I think that may be the reason why the color of most of maquette are not vivid or colorful enough. As we know biologically, male animals get shining colors, so I think the male-color is a test of painters' painting skill, because it's not easy to be colorful when logical and acceptable skin texture is required.

The statue is as pretty as I expect, but I find out that Sideshow usually prefer to make 'female' dinosaurs, I think that may be the reason why the color of most of maquette are not vivid or colorful enough. As we know biologically, male animals get shining colors, so I think the male-color is a test of painters' painting skill, because it's not easy to be colorful when logical and acceptable skin texture is required.

Hmmm..I know we've seen a couple female dinosaurs..but the Rex was male, the Styrac was male, there is a male/female Allosaurus in the dio and the coloration is about the same. I really don't think Sideshow is being sexually dimorphic in regards to coloration.

I think the only Maquette can say that there is a difference color between male and female is Dilophosaurus Maquette. We also can see an increase in color depending on the maturity of the animal, example: old T-rex has a color more strongly opposed to the young T-rex. (T-rex vs Tricer).

PS: Last night I saw a documentary about dinosaurs. Science has reached the point where some dinosaurs species were able to decipher their true color, I mean the feathered dinosaurs species. It is a huge step for paleontology.

Wonder why was there no full preview. Don't they usually do that on the Tuesday before pre-order?

Apple will be in tomorrows pics I bet.

Looks great though I'm not seeing anything about the size or limited editions or such. That would help out figuring value on the price. I'm a bit disappointed they stuck with 300.00 for it, that was the line's cap originally. The Stego blew that out of the water at 350.00 but it seems every piece recently has been at 300.00 , the Dilo pair should have been 200-250 given the size. If this piece is only 12" or so and is 300.00 it's going to be hard to justify it..even with all the bells and whistles on the base.

Looks great though I'm not seeing anything about the size or limited editions or such. That would help out figuring value on the price. I'm a bit disappointed they stuck with 300.00 for it, that was the line's cap originally. The Stego blew that out of the water at 350.00 but it seems every piece recently has been at 300.00 , the Dilo pair should have been 200-250 given the size. If this piece is only 12" or so and is 300.00 it's going to be hard to justify it..even with all the bells and whistles on the base.

I just got into this series with Stego, and I hear what you are saying about high price tags, but feels like if you don't buy it for sale on SS, you can never find them on the Ebay for anywhere near that, they are all high. I just bite the bullet and bought Dilo because I knew I would regret it when it was sold out. I agree that prices are high, but what can we do.

Mosasaur is 20 inches in height.

-SideshowAlex

More pics are out - love the shark on the statue for scale!
dinosauria-continues-with-a-splash-from-the-past

200361-mosasaur-008.jpg

Mosasaur is 20 inches in height.

-SideshowAlex

Height seems good..though I think 200-250 would be a better price point still. The Stego was 350.00 was totally worth it being so massive. The Dilo pair could have been done for 200.00 I feel they are pretty small compared.

I'm interested to see if there will be an exclusive and if the price will be different or the same again.

BTW, The little shark is a juvenile Squalicorax for those interested. :)

I'm interested to see if there will be an exclusive and if the price will be different or the same again.

Interested too if there will be an exclusive. Fingers crossed they continue the exclusives with this piece!

Really psyched to add this one to the collection. Going to look great next to all my Mosasaur teeth. :yess:

The pattern is great, and looks very similar to the one Steve gave to the Foulkes Tylo. No real mystery there.

tylopaintbmp__09407.1382469332.600.600.jpg

Back