Statue Sideshow Dinosauria Mosasaur Statue/Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks cool. Reminds me of this:

334_max.jpg

I remember when I first saw the prototype art in AMF magazine, I thought the shark might be a little distracting. I guess it emphasizes the scale, since people generally think of them as "Jaws" sized.

mosasaurus.jpg

But I'm actually surprised they went with "Mosasaur" instead of a particular species of mosasaur.

if this is not a dinosaur why is it in the dinosauria series, shouldnt it just be a sideshow original statue. Or slap on some silly name and make it part of the pacific rim brand? noone cares enough about that movie to notice it anyway.

if this is not a dinosaur why is it in the dinosauria series, shouldnt it just be a sideshow original statue. Or slap on some silly name and make it part of the pacific rim brand? noone cares enough about that movie to notice it anyway.

The series is focused on prehistoric animals, but that category doesn't have quite as much ring as "Dinosauria". Otherwise, we wouldn't see Deinosuchus and Tupuxuara in the line, as someone previously mentioned.

If I recall Dan the Tupuxuara was also labeled Pterodactyl I think ? Perhaps Sideshow will grace us with the exact name later..or I can ask Jorge. Perhaps they just meant it to be M. hoffmannii the type species ?

It is interesting you point out the shark being used for scaling..and playing on the " this guy is huge, cool ! " factor.. heh

Yeah, that would have helped mainstream audiences connect better with the piece. Still, I don't remember them ever calling it simply "Pterodactyl", which suggests this is the first time they've used a broader category to label the piece. Strangely, I don't think "Mosasaur" is any more recognizable to most people than say, "Tylosaurus".

Thanks for the reveal Alex! Looks like another beautiful addition to this fantastic line. Hoping it has some size to go along with the wonderful detailing. A must buy, & can't wait for many, many more releases with this inexplicably underrated line.:dunno

People WAKE UP!!!!! Every creature, monster, animal, & nature lover should be simply awed by this line, & hence support it. It is simply the very best dinosaur/prehistoric statue line ever produced as finished statues. Ever!!!

Yeah, that would have helped mainstream audiences connect better with the piece. Still, I don't remember them ever calling it simply "Pterodactyl", which suggests this is the first time they've used a broader category to label the piece. Strangely, I don't think "Mosasaur" is any more recognizable to most people than say, "Tylosaurus".

Maybe I saw it called that in posts and discussions. It seems a far more recognizable name than even pteranodon. Many of the adults that visit the Park here call all the flying ones " pterodactyl " .

That's a good point..maybe Mosasaurus has been used slightly more..thinking about all my old dino books..but not by much. "Sea Serpent" or " Sea Monster " are probably going to be the most descriptive terms...just see some of the previous posts here.. heh

Just noticed a seam along the creature's neckline. Could this be the first switch out head including an additional open mouth version? Would be cool, but a masterpiece as it stands.:clap:clap:clap

:lol I don't understand why they decided to just call it a generic mosasaur, then. Tylosaurus is pretty popular, easily rivaling say... Tupuxuara.

heh .. Why did they decide to charge a 100.00 more than the Dilophosaurus should have been..or take the stories off the boxes ? No ( good ) reason at all from what I can tell. :/

heh .. Why did they decide to charge a 100.00 more than the Dilophosaurus should have been..or take the stories off the boxes ? No ( good ) reason at all from what I can tell. :/

To make more money, & save more money respectively.:slap:slap

To make more money, & save more money respectively.:slap:slap

Sure..no " good" reasons. It's especially bad if your putting off your fan base. These are the people that will buy when no one else does.

Given previous pieces the Dilophosaurus set was overpriced quite a bit. I think many are of the same opinion from what I've read.

How is not printing words on the box saving money ? I've always liked how the stories fleshed out the pieces they were included with. It's also a great reason to display the boxes with them if you have the space. So we don't get a card or anything with the story on it .. just the website.

So just a few things don't make any good sense.

Back