Sideshow DC Animated Series Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, if you watch the video link that was posted on here a couple pages back, they state in the video they made a composite of all the representations of these characters to come up with their own "fresh" take on them. So Batman is from the last season of BTAS, JL, JLU, BB. Superman is from his show, JL, JLU, etc. I don't mind that but I can see how it adds confusion and frustration.

Personally, I loved that later version of Batman and I'm sure it was released first due to the fact they are going to release the classic yellow oval and blue Batman later. If they released the classic first, fewer would buy this version. It's just a marketing ploy to move more product.

Actually, if you watch the video link that was posted on here a couple pages back, they state in the video they made a composite of all the representations of these characters to come up with their own "fresh" take on them. So Batman is from the last season of BTAS, JL, JLU, BB. Superman is from his show, JL, JLU, etc. I don't mind that but I can see how it adds confusion and frustration.

Personally, I loved that later version of Batman and I'm sure it was released first due to the fact they are going to release the classic yellow oval and blue Batman later. If they released the classic first, fewer would buy this version. It's just a marketing ploy to move more product.

I'll wait for the classic animated Batman then if it ever comes. I never understood why they changed his look in the show or Joker. They never looked as good.

I'll wait for the classic animated Batman then if it ever comes. I never understood why they changed his look in the show or Joker. They never looked as good.

Well the original BTAS (believe it or not) was actually stopped by Timm and Dini so they could work on the Superman Cartoon, and because they claimed they had run out of good stories. Hard to believe I know. There was a 2 year gap between the old and new Batman animated shows.

In Superman, they came up with the more streamlined, less detail character look. BTAS was based off the old Fleischer Superman cartoon so it borrowed heavily off that look. In Timm and Dini's Superman, they came up with their own fresh take on the classic characters. So when they got to "relaunch" BTAS it had to match the same look for the cross overs, JL, JLU, etc. Timm also took this opportunity to come up with new, sleek designs for the villains, bat family as well.

Back then I recently graduated college as an illustrator and loved the new sleek look. I still do. I think the original had it's charm but if you read the book they put out at the time it talks about how they had trouble maintaining the standards with the animation houses. Like one episode in the old BTAS Poison Ivy looks trim and athletic, the next she looks more chesty than Kate Upton. So Timm had issues with that and felt the streamlined look solved the consistency issue.

I will say IMO not all redesigns were great. I liked the JLU Joker (who was a mix of the original and the newer one), but hated the newer BTAS shark eyed Joker. Batman, Batgirl, Bane, Mad Hatter, Scarecrow were all improved. Harley stayed the same since they invented her. Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Croc looked worse. Or so I think.

Well the original BTAS (believe it or not) was actually stopped by Timm and Dini so they could work on the Superman Cartoon, and because they claimed they had run out of good stories. Hard to believe I know. There was a 2 year gap between the old and new Batman animated shows.

In Superman, they came up with the more streamlined, less detail character look. BTAS was based off the old Fleischer Superman cartoon so it borrowed heavily off that look. In Timm and Dini's Superman, they came up with their own fresh take on the classic characters. So when they got to "relaunch" BTAS it had to match the same look for the cross overs, JL, JLU, etc. Timm also took this opportunity to come up with new, sleek designs for the villains, bat family as well.

Back then I recently graduated college as an illustrator and loved the new sleek look. I still do. I think the original had it's charm but if you read the book they put out at the time it talks about how they had trouble maintaining the standards with the animation houses. Like one episode in the old BTAS Poison Ivy looks trim and athletic, the next she looks more chesty than Kate Upton. So Timm had issues with that and felt the streamlined look solved the consistency issue.

I will say IMO not all redesigns were great. I liked the JLU Joker (who was a mix of the original and the newer one), but hated the newer BTAS shark eyed Joker. Batman, Batgirl, Bane, Mad Hatter, Scarecrow were all improved. Harley stayed the same since they invented her. Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Croc looked worse. Or so I think.

Thank's for the info :duff . I watched the animated series many years later so that's all news to me.

Just my opinion but I'd have to disagree that Batman improved. His original look was so perfect and fitting of that show. I am biased towards the yellow oval though :lol for me it's as iconic as Superman's S and should be on all his suits animated, comic, live action etc.

The only design I liked a lot better was Penguin, he looked less like the DeVito Penguin and more like the one from the comics.

Thank's for the info :duff . I watched the animated series many years later so that's all news to me.

Just my opinion but I'd have to disagree that Batman improved. His original look was so perfect and fitting of that show. I am biased towards the yellow oval though :lol for me it's as iconic as Superman's S and should be on all his suits animated, comic, live action etc.

The only design I liked a lot better was Penguin, he looked less like the DeVito Penguin and more like the one from the comics.

No problem, I am clearly a geek when it came to those shows LOL. I won't argue that the classic yellow oval batman is also my Batman, because it is. I am a huge '60s TV show, Neil Adams, Frank Miller DKR fan (even though we get the black costume, no oval symbol later in those comics). Even the first couple Batman movies by Burton at least still had the yellow oval around the bat symbol as well. I guess for me personally I liked the way Timm designed Batman in the later shows as he seemed more streamlined and less chunky. But both are classics to me.

I forgot about the Penguin, I agree his look was a massive improvement. They also touched on that in the book, to date how far back that cartoon goes "Batman Returns" had JUST come out so the opening music, Penguin were heavily influenced by the movie. Timm even states he loathed the Devito Penguin look but WB forced him to not only make the Penguin look that way, but also feature him in many episodes in the first season. You'll notice the Penguin is really scaled back as the show goes on to almost a side character.

I felt Bruce, Barb out of costume really were improved with the redesign. Also those versions of Scarecrow, Bane, Mad Hatter remain my favorite to this day so I guess I am biased there :).

I'd love to get these but I'm still utterly baffled they went with that look for Batman over the far more iconic yellow oval blue/grey look he had for most episodes and Mask of the Phantasm. What the hell were they thinking?

Great to see the Joker teased but if they go for this:
14319515347368.jpg

over this:
The_Joker.jpg

Someone needs to get fired!

There are still some great stories in the later episodes but visually they just don't compare to the earlier character designs.

As long as it's not this:
6GOcqsm.jpg

I’m down for an animated JL Flash. Probably the only one we’ll get from SS and that’s a big IF.

Finally!!!! I've been looking at SS daily hoping these would start going up. I hope the other two go up soon as well and Joker/Harley. I'd like this line to move at least as fast as the fairytale fantasy line.

Please don't be crazy overpriced!

Finally!!!! I've been looking at SS daily hoping these would start going up. I hope the other two go up soon as well and Joker/Harley. I'd like this line to move at least as fast as the fairytale fantasy line.

Please don't be crazy overpriced!

I agree, price is my biggest concern as well.

The collectors have supported the original PF line but they just dropped them and started a new line. SS didnt even have the respect to those who collected the line and just make a Flash first before starting the new line, even if they already teased him before.

The collectors have supported the original PF line but they just dropped them and started a new line. SS didnt even have the respect to those who collected the line and just make a Flash first before starting the new line, even if they already teased him before.

The Marvel line has the same problem

Back