Sideshow Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure - Return of the Jedi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually like it and might consider buying it. (And I doubted I'd ever buy a SSC figure again.)

I had and sold the Deluxe Vader because I could not stand the jumpsuit. They fixed that. I didn't like the orange-y "lightrod", that's fixed. The light-up stand looked cheap (IMHO) and I never lit it up, actually. I did not care for the helmet display and the underscale and inaccurate Anakin headsculpt. Even the gloves have been improved on this one.

Price point is "OK" by today's standards and I'm not fond of Hot Toys' Vader anyway, regardless of its price. So, this might be the companion piece of my Mythos Vader.

My view:

- The jumpsuit looks much better, that was the biggest issue and they have tried to improve.
- The gloves are sculpted but look OK. The first ones were not so bad, the problem was the thin arms mostly.
- Have they changed the crop piece?

They have not improved:

- How tall this figure is.
- The dome and mask sculpt.

Overall, the figure can improve a lot. Let's see.

I just saw this... LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

The hands are a good improvement. They finally included the proper hands on belt hands. Overall the body looks better too—arms don’t look as skinny and he looks more beefy and filled out. Unfortunately they didn’t improve the dome and it still doesn’t look right especially now that we’ve seen HT get it almost right.

It does look like they are using a body suit that is more like the ANH figure... however the when the Deluxe figure was up for pre-order it had conflicting images that used both the ANH suit and the crappy one we ultimately got from Sideshow.

So I wouldn't necessarily trust that this new Vader will have this better looking suit :lol

It's kind of missing the point to fix the suit and not the mask/dome, anyway (though I do prefer the sculpted gloves over the Deluxe and HT's). Now that I've gotten familiar with HT's, the flaws on SSC's are glaring and not something I'd be able to overlook.

I feel like such a schmuck for buy the original versions of Vader and Fett. It's getting like the hasbro 3 3/4 figures line.

"Hot Toys is turning our profits into swiss cheese! Re-release Vader, Fett, and the Probe Droid now! Now, *** dammit NOW!"

8k6ngx.gif

Sorry I'm just venting :D

Not interested in them at all. I think this reissue stunt is a load of crap. I bought the original figures thinking they were limited. I guess in a way they are, but I think SSC should not only offer less in the box (as they already are) they shouldn't rework or upgrading parts. In vader's case they should actually offer an upgrade pack with the new items that we can add to the original release.

If SS were smart, they should have re-released a Palpatine. Don't know why they would release another Vader to compete with the HT one.

Sorry I'm just venting :D

Not interested in them at all. I think this reissue stunt is a load of crap. I bought the original figures thinking they were limited. I guess in a way they are, but I think SSC should not only offer less in the box (as they already are) they shouldn't rework or upgrading parts. In vader's case they should actually offer an upgrade pack with the new items that we can add to the original release.

That would make no sense for them, they still need to entice buyers and crafting techniques get better over time so improvements will be made. Making an inferior, barebones product is not realistic for a company looking to actually SELL their current item.

I may try to score the body suit and quilted vest to upgrade my DX. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Hot Toys sculpt on the Sideshow body? If it is then I think my old DX might actually have some life left in him after all. I'd be open to performing a little surgery if necessary to get the head to fit.

Before I discovered you Freaks, I never really paid attention to the little differences in characters and their costumes. Vader has always been Vader to me...badass in all black armor who walked tall and carried a big stick. Now I can't even look at my DX figure without seeing how off it really is.

An improved emperor would have been a better choice.

I get what Disney... SSC... whoever is trying to do. They're just giving the new collectors a chance to get some Star Wars love, but I think Vader was too soon.

Back