Sideshow Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure - Return of the Jedi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All these re-releases are odd. Perhaps they realize the Star Wars license is going to become too expensive to renew and that they can't compete with Hot Toys, so they are re-releasing figures which requires little development cost, while they still have it.

Going foward, I'm sure Hot Toys is going to focus on the new movies perhaps with some of the heroes from the OT, which would leave a pretty big hole Sideshow could fill by focusing on the prequels and background characters in OT. I would love to see some of the missing prequel characters like Dooku and Padme and some Jabba aliens.

Sideshow did a great job on Greedo. Sure his outfit can be tightened up and upgraded, but he's solid. Hammerhead is also another home run by Sideshow.

Ugh... just disgusted with Sideshow anymore. Which stinks because some of the figures like the Tie Fighter Pilot I got in 2 days ago or the Scout Troopers are great and show what they are capable of. But with the final product on human portraits they are still on-par or worse than a lot of the grey-market manufacturers and the costs are exorbinant.

And now, to add insult to the years long injury of floppy bodies, doll dots, Faramirs and Drakes we get re-releases. And so far 2 of the 3 re-releases come with less stuff, but seemingly improved/new items.

I think I'll follow a similar patter and finish out my last pre-orders with Sideshow (I really do want that AT-AT exclusive) burn through my RP and just use them for exclusive HT figures.

Word.... I'm tired of their BS.

Yep, just getting ridiculous.

Really? What a joke.

If you are going to do this s*** Sideshow, do Snowtroopers.

While this would also be annoying... at least it makes some sense. I think that the troopers like that could easily be marketed as open editions; but still have at leas the exclusive version be limited. But to rerelease a stripped down Vader while the Deluxe was still in-stock is ridiculous. And really obnoxious to add new stuff to the figure that would have enhanced the original one.

Confidence is hard to come by, and even harder once lost.

So this is another re-release. Minor changes, taken away the deluxe display stand and no removable helmet, and charged $5 more.

Agreed, my confidence in Sideshow is gone. This was the last straw.

Edited: 8. The Darth Maul 2.0 release with no cloak and staggering price.

At least Maul is an actual v2; versus these 1.1 BS releases.

Its funny how rebel scum noted the re-release as a move "that sideshow has never made before." Furthermore, your original will still hold its value because of the lack of acessories.

The original really hasn't appreciated much... I think you can still readily buy the exclusive on the secondary market for retail and the regular version for less than that. While this release probably won't have as much of an effect on the Deluxe Vader, the Probe Droid though will have a major effect. That snow base is cool, but not so much that it will retain the $400 it was selling for on eBay.

Waiting for the first "pre-ordered" post. :impatient:

They still got the wrong hand for this one. Shipped the Deluxe was $260 for me. With their new shipping this one would be $255.

star-wars-darth-vader-sixth-scale-feature-1000763.jpg

17-JoinMe.jpeg

At least that some consolation.... I was kind of bummed when I first saw that hand, but at least it's not the correct one for the classic ESB scene.

I'd be down for a new suit.

I cobbled together a Vader using the ANH Body suit and shorted ANH body... looks so much better than the crappy one the Deluxe came with.

I've been thinking about getting a Vadar...glad there are so many choices. :)

I agree with the Snowtrooper re-release. I'd love to have one of those.

Thanks Sideshow for making es and holding at least retail value of our figures irrelevant now. Anyone think besides me this hobby is dead?

Wow. Just wow. Let's not forget the fact it has a sparkly light saber like Hoth Luke!

Bought the Hot Toys recently, and now out of this Sideshow ...

I think that I will not buy, I wait to restart another version with a human head and other accessories, the Deluxe version of Sideshow has many problems.

I have always found the deluxe gloves a bit off putting , maybe it's the skinny arms , but they have always felt off to me up close .

As for rerelease I would love a couple clone commanders I missed , mainly Cody ....

Sideshow really should do a Dooku , bounty hunter Bane , cyborg maul , and some other aliens . A proper Ventress would be wanted as well .

Also the Rebels show characters .

Thanks Sideshow for making es and holding at least retail value of our figures irrelevant now. Anyone think besides me this hobby is dead?

No, it seems like 1/6 collecting is actually widening but aftermarket prices is what's dying. It's difficult to sell nowadays with potential buyers knowing something better is coming(especially Marvel). I only buy what I really like and don't watch the aftermarket so I'm not bothered by it.

No, it seems like 1/6 collecting is actually widening but aftermarket prices is what's dying. It's difficult to sell nowadays with potential buyers knowing something better is coming(especially Marvel). I only buy what I really like and don't watch the aftermarket so I'm not bothered by it.

Ur right on the money here. With all these releases and re-releases you better make sure ur buying what u like. The resale value isn't there any more as it once was. Great for people that are into "collecting" not flipping. Hopefully this will level out the crazy pre order prices as well. This Vader is already $20 less than the previous. That's a positive... So the lesson is stop paying after market prices and wait for the re-release.

Or in this case wait for SS to repackage a product that isn't selling under a new film title and reduce the price to get ride of extra stock.

I think the biggest issue I have with the re-release is just how shoddy and un-movie specific it is. No light-up base or sabre is fine (in fact I hope HT ditches their detachable forearm system for the next Vader), but an ROTJ Vader without a Shaw headsculpt (and regardless of it having been the ex, I'd argue for the severed hand, as well) just seems so lazy.

Part of the fun (at least for me) in buying these little replicas are the accessories and fidelity to the movie. This is just a very uninspired release, even if the Deluxe hadn't preceded it. I love how generous SSC can be (Spook/Black Friday weekend) and their customer service is the best, so I'll continue to pay the premium and buy from them direct, but it'll be HT stuff almost exclusively from now on (leaving room for a Probot type release where they knock a tertiary character out of the park).

Sideshow really should do a Dooku, cyborg maul, and a proper Ventress.

Also the Rebels show characters .

I'd honestly be down for all of these. I loved those characters (need to upgrade my Hasbro Dooku badly) and really enjoy the rebels show. I wouldn't mind a Kanan, Ezra, Inquisitor, and Adult Ahsoka with white blades.

Man if they keep this up this forum will be hot toys collectors. At least from a certain point of view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckily I had a friend of mine buy me out of all my PT 1/6 figures for three grand all I have left is the original trilogy.

I did a double take when I saw this thread only to find out it was a "new" release.

Is there really a market for SSC re-release figures?

I'm having a difficult time trying to understand this business decision. Strikes me as odd to say the least.

Back