Sideshow 1:6 Yoda (ESB)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this Yoda looks good. I like SS Yoda I already have but, depending on price and accessories, I’ll entertain the idea of maybe getting a new Yoda.

Jabba apparently exposes that the price per pound of plastic is SKYROCKETING. $500 would be pushing it

Right? Pretty nuts, I'm being priced right out of this hobby..

Yeah, that's ridiculous... looks like it has some improvements over the original release; but I have no interest in buying again.

A lot of people want the dewback re-released, but I guarantee they would charge $800 for that now too.

Yeah, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet... Sideshow has shown a real laziness compared to when they first released these pieces. Now they just rerelease with little to no changes and charge more.

I don’t get why someone at Sideshow hasn’t figured out if they made Rebel soldiers; Hoth, Endor, Yavin, whatever, and priced them at around $150ish, people would snatch them up and army build. Throw in subtle differences. Stormtroopers too. Or like others here have said, give us background characters Hot Toys aren’t getting to any time soon. Unless this Yoda actually gives sage advice and tries to steal stuff from my kids screaming MINE MINE MINE! then I’m cool with HT ESB version. This makes zero sense.

I don’t get why someone at Sideshow hasn’t figured out if they made Rebel soldiers; Hoth, Endor, Yavin, whatever, and priced them at around $150ish, people would snatch them up and army build. Throw in subtle differences. Stormtroopers too. Or like others here have said, give us background characters Hot Toys aren’t getting to any time soon. Unless this Yoda actually gives sage advice and tries to steal stuff from my kids screaming MINE MINE MINE! then I’m cool with HT ESB version. This makes zero sense.

They'll want $200 for each of them. HT got $205 for the Death Star Gunner and it didn't come with a headsculpt.

They'll want $200 for each of them. HT got $205 for the Death Star Gunner and it didn't come with a headsculpt.
Yeah that’s why figures like that don’t work. It would be different if they were selling for under $100 a piece but not many are going to want to army build R
$200 plus figures of random Rebel soldiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sideshow should just switched their effort to background characters, robots and aliens. I can't really imagine what their managers are thinking when they approve project like this. They can compete with HT only with price, that's only thing they can do same.

I've believed this for years. Even before HT got the license. I know Sideshow wants to go head to head with Hot Toys on the A-list character because those sell the most and have the highest profit margin, but they are charging essentially the same price for a generally inferior product, so what exactly is the appeal. The only niche they are managing to find is offering different costumes.

Instead of competing with HT why not "complement" the product line? SS is missing out on the golden opportunity by ignoring aliens, droids, vehicles and environments, which would probably sell like hot cakes. They have been retooling and re-releasing updated (and more expensive) versions of a few aliens like Jabba and Bossk, so it's possible we could see more updates down the road. Other than the rather flat paint jobs, SS actually did a very nice job on their aliens, so I probably wouldn't trade up unless there was a significant improvement to justify paying $150 more than the originals. However, new and improved versions of Thrawn (HT size + new head and tailoring), Ventress (HT body, smaller head, better tailoring) and Aayla (HT scale with seamless arms) would definitely get my vote.

There is a virtual treasure trove of characters Sideshow could mine from SW canon and Legends, just for starters:

Alien Characters -- Oola, Aurra Sing, Admiral Ackbar, General Raddus, Nien Numb, Ewoks (2-packs w/real fur), Moroff, Maz Kanata, Jar Jar, Boss Nass, Sebulba, Shaak-Ti, Savage Opress, Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Darth Bane, Darth Talon, Nute Gunray, Lama Su, Taun We, Saesee Tin, Luminara, Barriss Offee

Creatures-- Wampa, Bantha, Nexu, Reek, Acklay, Rancor (imagine that at 1:6).

Humans -- If SS wants to do humans, they might be better served focusing on Legends and Video game characters like Galen Marek/Starkiller, Juno Eclipse, Maris Brood, Mara Jade, Jacen and Jaina Solo, Darth Caedus, Shae Vizla, Satele Shan, Rianna Saren, Valkorion, Arcann, Thexan, Vaylin, Tirall, Republic Commandos.

Supporting Character/B-list Humans -- They could make an agreement to produce the characters HT will never get around to (and use HT bodies and maybe their sculptors) -- General Veers, Lobot, Admiral Piet, Valorum, Bail Organa, Zam Wesell (+ alt head), General Hux, Orson Krennic, Cassian Andor, Saw Gererra, Baze, Bodhi, Lando (Glover), Qi'Ra

Vehicles--Land Speeder, Sith Speeder, Rey's Speeder, and depending on price maybe they could even offer a Jedi Starfighter, X-Wing fighter, and TIE fighter at either 1:6 or 1:12 scale

Environments -- That could be pretty wide open, anything from an ESB snow environment to a Jakku environment with a partial AT-AT walker foot. They could also do specialty bases.

Sure, they might not be able to do the huge runs of the A-list characters (I don't know how many HT produces, but for the sake of argument, let's say 10,000-20,000 depending on character). But even if these B-list runs were say 1,000- to 1,500-pieces, @ $225-$250/per that would be a pretty solid business model. I'm sure there are 1:6 companies that would kill to get that kind of Star Wars "B-License". Heck Sideshow wouldn't even have to devote any resources or take any risks. They could farm out the project entirely to a small, hungry shop; give them an annual character list and delivery schedule; market and distribute the figures; and just collect their cut.

Last edited:
Another ESB Yoda? This is just dumb. Not quite another Jedi Luke dumb, but close. The above post is spot-on, they should be focusing on secondary characters that HT will never get to, particularly cantina and Jabba's palace aliens. They've proven that they can nail these sculpts and I think there's a much better market for those figures than they think...

I've believed this for years. Even before HT got the license. I know Sideshow wants to go head to head with Hot Toys on the A-list character because those sell the most and have the highest profit margin, but they are charging essentially the same price for a generally inferior product, so what exactly is the appeal. The only niche they are managing to find is offering different costumes.

Instead of competing with HT why not "complement" the product line? SS is missing out on the golden opportunity by ignoring aliens, droids, vehicles and environments, which would probably sell like hot cakes. They have been retooling and re-releasing updated (and more expensive) versions of a few aliens like Jabba and Bossk, so it's possible we could see more updates down the road. Other than the rather flat paint jobs, SS actually did a very nice job on their aliens, so I probably wouldn't trade up unless there was a significant improvement to justify paying $150 more than the originals. However, new and improved versions of Thrawn (HT size + new head and tailoring), Ventress (HT body, smaller head, better tailoring) and Aayla (HT scale with seamless arms) would definitely get my vote.

There is a virtual treasure trove of characters Sideshow could mine from SW canon and Legends, just for starters:

Alien Characters -- Oola, Aurra Sing, Admiral Ackbar, General Raddus, Nien Numb, Ewoks (2-packs w/real fur), Moroff, Maz Kanata, Jar Jar, Boss Nass, Sebulba, Shaak-Ti, Savage Opress, Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Darth Bane, Darth Talon, Nute Gunray, Lama Su, Taun We, Saesee Tin, Luminara, Barriss Offee

Creatures-- Wampa, Bantha, Nexu, Reek, Acklay, Rancor (imagine that at 1:6).

Humans -- If SS wants to do humans, they might be better served focusing on Legends and Video game characters like Galen Marek/Starkiller, Juno Eclipse, Maris Brood, Mara Jade, Jacen and Jaina Solo, Darth Caedus, Shae Vizla, Satele Shan, Rianna Saren, Valkorion, Arcann, Thexan, Vaylin, Tirall, Republic Commandos.

Supporting Character/B-list Humans -- They could make an agreement to produce the characters HT will never get around to (and use HT bodies and maybe their sculptors) -- General Veers, Lobot, Admiral Piet, Valorum, Bail Organa, Zam Wesell (+ alt head), General Hux, Orson Krennic, Cassian Andor, Saw Gererra, Baze, Bodhi, Lando (Glover), Qi'Ra

Vehicles--Land Speeder, Sith Speeder, Rey's Speeder, and depending on price maybe they could even offer a Jedi Starfighter, X-Wing fighter, and TIE fighter at either 1:6 or 1:12 scale

Environments -- That could be pretty wide open, anything from an ESB snow environment to a Jakku environment with a partial AT-AT walker foot. They could also do specialty bases.

Sure, they might not be able to do the huge runs of the A-list characters (I don't know how many HT produces, but for the sake of argument, let's say 10,000-20,000 depending on character). But even if these B-list runs were say 1,000- to 1,500-pieces, @ $225-$250/per that would be a pretty solid business model. I'm sure there are 1:6 companies that would kill to get that kind of Star Wars "B-License". Heck Sideshow wouldn't even have to devote any resources or take any risks. They could farm out the project entirely to a small, hungry shop; give them an annual character list and delivery schedule; market and distribute the figures; and just collect their cut.

Agreed! But if SS wants to put out some figure to compete with HT them maybe they should look at improving on older figures they have put out in the past like the Tusken Raider, Hammerhead and Cad Bane. If the want to do human figures then maybe to improve on a Bespin Luke Skywalker, Clone Wars Anakin and Obi Wan. I would love to see do figures from Rebels and a X-Wing cockpit.

What would be great is if Sideshow (or some other company) just started offering 1/6 outfits... just give me an affordable ($100 or less) Hoth Outfit and I'll supply the body and sculpt I think works best. I'd be down for a number of them like Hoth, Bespin, Fleet Troopers or even ones inspired by Battlefront, etc.

I assume it's not a good model for Sideshow or HT... but maybe some other company out there could secure a license like that :huh

While on the subject of reissues, it's always been my thought that the classic stormtrooper should be an evergreen product. Imagine the army building that would go on if this were the case.

I didn’t realize it wasn’t a pre-order. I do wish more releases would just be like that where the company is like: it’s ready, order now and get it shortly afterwards. Rather than the year or however long of a wait most releases have. It does make me think though that this is something cobbled together quickly from their previous efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, just noticed that too. What a weird thing - I can't recall a 1/6 scale SW offering EVER being announced and then ready to ship a few weeks later.

This is a 1/6 first as far as HT and Sideshow is concerned. I hope there's more releases like this.

To be fair, not as many people would army build the troopers. Sideshow has made a whole bunch of troopers, even endor rebel troops. Theyve also done a lot of aliens, but sales must not have been as high as i would think. The problem i had is still apparent today, i make enough to buy a figure a month, and if my 1 figure is hot toys or sideshow, SSC is going to lose 11/12 months. I bought the SSC thor and quickly preordered the infinity war thor because i was pretty let down by what i got for $250.

Now after typing all that, i do regret not getting the cantina aliens and gamorrean guards, but i didnt get them was because even back all those years ago, i thought they were too much, and i think they were only 100 to 120. Now SSC would charge 200 plus and i would have the same problem today.

Yeah what SS are doing here is baffling. There’s a huge wealth of aliens and droids out there to make, but instead they focus on characters HT have just put out. I just don’t get it. Where’s the cantina or Jabbas palace creatures? Especially with their remake of Jabba just round the corner, youd think they’d take the opportunity to at least redo Bib Fortuna or the Gamorrean. I don’t have the HT yoda yet, and if the SS one ends up being superior, I might get him, but I truly can’t see that happening, just by that one pic alone. Bizarre business decisions.

Back