Sideshow 1:6 Yoda (ESB)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a bit weird that SSC seems to be nipping at HT's heels with figure choices, but I wouldn't judge their business success on these. 1/6 figures aren't SSC's bread and butter these days, their money is coming from the statues and various lines they produce along that nature.

I have the HT Yoda and cant afford to buy multiple's of the same characters, so I wont be buying. But I am interested to see how it turns out!

Looks decent enough, but the true test of a 1/6 Yoda sculpt is the straight-on view. Nearly all 1/6 Yodas look good from the 3/4 view.

I'm not sure any company has ever really nailed ESB Yoda's look, including HT (though their closed-eyes sculpt was very close) with its somewhat "chubby" look, so I'm interested to see if this one could be it. That being said, this sculpt reminds me a bit of a better detailed/painted version of the Hasbro POTJ 12" Yoda (Luke two-pack,) so that's probably not a great start.

I agree, with everything you said.
I am looking forward for a company to nail the sculpt.

Hot Toys OT Yoda, from a straight view, is far from being there.

So I am curious to see what Sideshow does this time.
Their Jedi Mentor Yoda sculpt, wasn't bad. The paint apps were. It was a long time ago....
Let's see now. I'm curious!

The clothes, and accessories, hair, and body will be superior in the current HT version though, I am afraid...

Steaming pile of dog ****? That's a bit harsh :lol

Unless you're going for legendary scale or full size, you just wont get better likeness, especially in the 1:6 realm so far.

Is the Hot Toys esb Yoda perfect? Far from it. Is it pretty damn good? You bet!

64e2dff527bffedfe81cbe9345b0d3e9.jpg

Agree that the accessories are poor but its basically free money on ebay.

The one who releases Bespin Han first will be the true winners in the money grab.
Cool new Yoda but bad timing. kinda like Jedi luke.

The Hot Toys Yoda isn’t that bad. Some of you exaggerate so much it’s ridiculous. Let’s not all be singing Sideshow’s praises like their version is going to be any better. For as big a company as they are and for how long they’ve produced sixth scale figures they’re very hit and miss at best. Also how does the Hot Toys figure have poor accessories? I can almost guarantee Sideshow’s will come with less and be priced equally or above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the original body from a few years ago will be reused. Ill just pick up some hands and a head from TA and kit bash. Nothing to see her enow...move along..

I agree it's an odd choice, but so far I'm liking what I see. The HT just looks too generic and symmetrical for my taste, with a big jaw and blank expression. This one has more of that frail look he had in ESB and reminds me a lot more of the puppet somehow.

That being said, it's still not something I'd want to pay more than $180 for.

Not to be a grammar nazi but:
“Sideshow’s Yoda Sixth Scale Figure will In-stock and available to order on Monday July, 17...”

What the heck?

I didn’t realize it wasn’t a pre-order. I do wish more releases would just be like that where the company is like: it’s ready, order now and get it shortly afterwards. Rather than the year or however long of a wait most releases have. It does make me think though that this is something cobbled together quickly from their previous efforts.

Sideshow should just switched their effort to background characters, robots and aliens. I can't really imagine what their managers are thinking when they approve project like this. They can compete with HT only with price, that's only thing they can do same.

Sideshow should just switched their effort to background characters, robots and aliens. I can't really imagine what their managers are thinking when they approve project like this. They can compete with HT only with price, that's only thing they can do same.
Completely agree. It just comes across as stupid to do something like this. When another version released not long ago and still hasn’t sold out you want to make another version of that character that’s more or less the same? Just doesn’t make sense. Why not turn your efforts to characters Hot Toys isn’t likely to make? Hell I’d even be okay with them re-releasing some of their old stuff. Give us a new Greedo, Hammerhead, Tusken Raider, etc.

The HT isn’t terrible but it could definitely be easily topped, I think. Whether SS can do it though, who knows. The HT Yoda is definitely one of those figures where the detailing on the sculpt, paint, and clothing make up for the poor likeness. And even as detailed as the paint is, it does seem awfully inaccurate with all that brown thrown into the creases.

I love how SS and HT are going at it. Better for us consumers. Looks like SS is making a decent effort, but I'm HT exclusive now, SS had too many failed figures

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to make background aliens that Hot Toys may not make than main characters that are still not sold out?

Yep. Admiral Ackbar or Nien Nunb would make a lot more sense than this.

I'd buy Ackbar.

I've finally managed to stop loosing sleep over why they made a new pink haired character for episode 8 rather then let Ackbar do the lightspeed jump yelling "It's a trap!" and not killing him off like an extra before the Marry Poppins scene.

When checking Sideshow's site and shuffling thru their Star Wars offering, you can see a trend across scales. They seem to have based their business model on 10-12 characters you can get in 5 flavors. 1:1 "Lifesize", 1:2 "Legendary", 1:4 "Premium", 1:6 "Action Figure" or Lifesize Bust.

Their 1:6 scale line tend to have a little more variety but latest offers have mostly been v2.0 (Fett, IG-88, Bossk, Scout Trooper, Speederbike, Probe Droïd, Jabba...) with a few exceptions being "concept" figures such as Obi-Wan and long teased Fett or Vader.

In Sideshow's mind it seems like current market if far too small to justify R&D costs on supporting characters such as alien (Bonda Baba, Nien Numb, Ackbar...) or even troops (Bespin Guards, Hot Rebel troopers, Rebel pilots...)

Honestly, that sculpt look really good... and they have a solid track record for painting non-humans. However, they also have an equally bad track record with smaller bodied figures; the original Yoda was floppy and the more recent Jawas were even worse. Not to mention I'm more than happy with the Hot Toys figure... so unless this figure's final product just crushes the HT (which seems super unlikely) I'll pass.

Bet you anything, this will herald the rerelease of the Hut... which pisses me off, but as we all know Sideshow does not give a **** about the integrity of their collectibles.

Honestly, that sculpt look really good... and they have a solid track record for painting non-humans. However, they also have an equally bad track record with smaller bodied figures; the original Yoda was floppy and the more recent Jawas were even worse. Not to mention I'm more than happy with the Hot Toys figure... so unless this figure's final product just crushes the HT (which seems super unlikely) I'll pass.

Bet you anything, this will herald the rerelease of the Hut... which pisses me off, but as we all know Sideshow does not give a **** about the integrity of their collectibles.

You mean this Hut? lol

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collect...z6vWuauylqG7YKdK_FJKiLcm7u-agdsgaApgnEALw_wcB

Back