Sideshow 1/6 R5-D4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R2 has always looked small but R5 look 100% right. In my SW universe there was always something about Bossk and R5 D4......instant love.

So I just noticed that the top vent/grille on my R5 is completely unweathered. And it looks like Khai's and Kuat's are the same. Are a lot of them like that? It appears weathered on the Sideshow final production pics they posted.

Got this figure in tonight and only had about 10 minutes to look it over. Couple notes that I haven't seen mentioned.

1) They made it heavier than R2. This is likely due to many of the comments that it felt cheap. It's only an ounce and a half heavier but when you take into account that there are no electronics inside the dome it's clear they probably added a couple ounces to the body.

2) The plastic on the head is a bit too translucent as when I first looked at it under light the body was solid looking and the dome looked paper thin. Not a big deal under almost all conditions but it jumped out at me as I first looked at it under light that really shined through the plastic in a way that doesn't happen on the body. (Nothing that stuffing the dome wouldn't solve if your lighting conditions highlight this).

3) The cut lines for the door panels, probably due to the doors being red, stood out as a bit uneven or sloppy looking. When i look at R2 I realize they're probably about the same but they don't stand out as much cause it's white on white. Also having a tough time getting them to sit flush. Again maybe I'm just noticing it more due to the contrast in colors.

4) The figure looks a bit bigger/more substantial than R2 due to the larger/taller dome style. That should please folks that feel R2 is undersized.

Again, just mentioning those items as I didn't see any mention before. It's a very cool little figure and it looks great on the shelf. I have one little spot of bad weathering where and I think a couple finger prints on one of the feet but don't think either will bother me.

WOW! Thanks for sharing those photos and review. Cool figure.Can't wait or mine to arrive.:clap

WOW! Thanks for sharing those photos and review. Cool figure.Can't wait or mine to arrive.:clap

:duff It is indeed a cool little figure. Have it at my desk at work in front of me.

Does R5s head come off like R2s? If so then weigh them. I'll wager its the same body.

Body on R5 weighs 8.2 ounces. Pretty sure that's what all of R2 weighs. But if you want we can make a wager. :)

From the Ashes of our future comes.....R5-D4. He came to kick ass and chew bubble gum - and he's all out of bubble gum!!!

DSCN0532.JPG

Think I just found the perfect stand for my Sideshow Tusken Raider!!!

So just measured the weights of my R5 and R2.

R5-D4 with head: 9.6 ounces
R5-D4 without head: 8.2 ounces

R2-D2 with head: 8.1 ounces
R2-D2 without head: 6 ounces

I have been very vocal criticizing SSC for the lack of quality they've put out recently so I feel in fairness I need to compliment them on the outstanding job they did on this figure. It's about as perfect as I could imagine and it has me really excited to see them potentially tackling other astromech droids. While I'm sure they'll stick to R2's and R5's due to not having to build a new figure; I would love to see an R7.

When I think of how many droids exist in SW, that's a new Iron Man/Clones line right there. ;)

Here are just a few astromech types, no variants shown.

astro.jpg

I want an R4!

Anyone else having a problem with the little side door that swings out on the body? When closed, the top of the door does not stay flush with the body.

index.jpg

Yes, mine is like that too.

Looks like the door isn't perpendicular to the arm that it's attached to, causing the top to pop out like that. I wonder if I can take a hair dryer to it and attempt to straighten it out.

Hack refurbishment job by Jawas. What are they trying to push on us? :lol

I know, right. Mine came with a bad motivator too...

Back