Sideshow 1/6 R5-D4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a barebones release, and the dome weathering isn't brilliant, but if you like droids, it's worth it. :)

He could have come with guns and a missile.:dunno

The-Power-Of-The-Force-2-R5-D4-Version-1_Big_4.jpg

And monkey face Leia. :monkey2

But the best was not seeing the special editions on the big screen. My brain still holds pristine copies of my original trilogy viewings from '79, '80 and '83.

Got him today and even thought he doesn't have any similar light up features like R2, I'm really happy with him. The weathering on mine is 1000x better than R2, he does seem a little heavier not that it's a huge difference.
Getting him with a $20 off code definitely made him worth it. I hope they continue to improve with each droid released and it looks like they are trying.
My only complaint would be the spots where the head did not seal completely leaving some small gaps but from a distance it just looks like weathering.

Thanks for the pictures and the comments there, Tonton....looking forward to seeing this one when I get back home....I like th look of it in your shots.

Thanks for the pictures and the comments there, Tonton....looking forward to seeing this one when I get back home....I like th look of it in your shots.

Yeah, Tonton - great pics, and I'm amazed how much the fig looks like a full-sized prop in pics. And thanks for the mini-review:clap The translucence thing is weird though.:dunno:lol

Re: the size, I'm planning to raise R5 up using the same lift pieces I'm doing for R2 (a bit under 1/4") which seems to be what the SSC droids need. The "girth" is still a little too small, but the height makes up for it. These two pics kinda show it because it's hard to get ref pics to precisely match (so the SSC droids probably are a little too shrunken here, but you get the idea.) And the pics on the left are Richalot's - hope that's okay, but they are VERY nice and useful pics.)

r5_zpslwjomjh4.png

r2%201_zpspswkmyti.png

Here's my review of the new Sideshow R5-D4. A decent complement to Sideshow's Artoo /Threepio and Hot Toys Luke. I did forgot to mention in the review that it will go well with the upcoming Jawas too (forgot I had those on preorder!) which formed part of the reason behind me ordering that recently (plus I got it for a cheap price using Popcultcha Pennies).

Disappointed in that my centre leg was assembled in reverse, but will get a replacement hopefully.

But still, not an essential purchase, and I probably shouldn't have gotten this myself lol!! Someone has already commented that I'm sounding jaded in the review, which is probably true. Hopefully the next three reviews that I tease at the end changes that LOL!!

Looks like it's not just your middle leg base that was put on backwards, but so are the legs......look at the R2 and then look at the R5. They put the legs on the wrong side...

Looks like it's not just your middle leg base that was put on backwards, but so are the legs......look at the R2 and then look at the R5. They put the legs on the wrong side...

They pop out and pop in.
It was a discussed feature on R2.

I didnt even notice that lol. I think the side panel orientation is the same as what's on the box art, but the reverse of what is in the movie. But I do believe they are removeable like Artoo so that should be an easy swap.

Still love this droid design but glad I ended-up cancelling my order, along with the Jawas. As kool mentions, it's kind of death by 1000 cuts in regards to poor QC. I'm down I think now to the Probe Droid being my last SSC Star Wars piece (may still keep E-Web, too, though it's up for sale for time being).

The legs on R2 change constantly.

Sometimes the the 2 bolts are facing forward - others times it's the one long bolt.

The blueprints actually have that the 2 separate bolts should be facing towards R2's front.

Anyone notice the legs on the wrong sides? Look at the leg placement of the doohickey's....they are reversed.

All I'm noticing is how off the Luke head sculpt is - from the side - his face and nose are too long (profile).

And the colors of his pants/leg wrappings :slap

I was happy with him before this :(

Back