Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did people actually getget an email with tracking number for their replacements? I only got the email with some internal order number but not sure if it's shipped......

Did people actually getget an email with tracking number for their replacements? I only got the email with some internal order number but not sure if it's shipped......

In my experience with other replacement parts for other figures, that's normal. Not ideal, but not out of the ordinary.

Really hope this R2 doesn't have a problem with yellowing plastic over time, like a lot of others I've seen. Or did they actually paint the white body on this? I don't have mine in front of me at the moment to inspect, but I got the impression it was just white plastic...

Really hope this R2 doesn't have a problem with yellowing plastic over time, like a lot of others I've seen. Or did they actually paint the white body on this? I don't have mine in front of me at the moment to inspect, but I got the impression it was just white plastic...
All white plastic will yellow over time if exposed to UV light.

Keep it behind glass (any glass) and you'll greatly reduce the UV even if sun shines directly on it through a window. If sun enters the room but doesn't shine onto the glass cabinet at all, your toy will unlikely yellow - plain glass is a decent UV filter, and the more the better. You can also put an additional UV coating on the windows in the room. Thankfully we also have peroxide to bring back this kind of yellowing - which I wouldn't worry about on this figure at all. I have shutter on the windows in my display room and angle them so the room gets some brightness but no direct sun rays - everything on display is also behind additional glass. A bunch of UV filtering film sits in a box to be applied at some point when I'm feeling adventurous.

The Medicom by comparison already appears quite yellow in product images of when it was first on sale.

No. Unless there's a serious problem with the way the circuit was designed/implemented (which I doubt), you shouldn't have to do that. But like anything that has a battery, if you're not going to use it for a long period of time, you should remove the batteries in case of discharge/leakage.

Ah, ok. I may still pick this one up later on, but that would have been a deal breaker.
Thank you.

Just got my replacement dome and I am having fun taking apart the old one. One thing I noticed about the seam lines people are complaining about, I could be wrong but they do not appear to be seam lines from the injection process. The lines are not on the other side and it was molded in one piece, there are actually four evenly spaced lines that looks like they are part of the detail. It looks like the actual r2 dome was build from four different curved panels with a separate round plate on the top with all the doors.

Just a guess, it's a multi-piece mould and the inside, possibly being one solid piece, doesn't need to come apart and has no lines. You can check with all the prop guys, but R2 doesn't have any such dome seams. ;) But I did note earlier that the Medicom and Hasbro have seams in pretty much the (exact) same place(s).

yeah, I could not find any lines looking at images from the movies but it just seems weird to have four different mold lines so close together. If someone wanted to repaint this they would take almost no effort to remove they are so light. The only place it looks bad to me is where it goes across the blue part in one area but not enough to want to do anything with it.

I used 'Salon Care' 30% peroxide on my 1996 Marmit Stormtrooper, and the result was phenomenal. I'm sure when and if the time comes, it would work on R2 as well. The amazing thing is, it whitens the white plastic while having NO effect on the painted parts at all. Just immerse the (non-electric) parts in the solution, and set it outside in direct sunlight for a few hours.
*POOF*... gleaming white R2.
Don't worry, it won't have any bad effects on the plastic or paint whatsoever.

Search Amazon.com for: "Salon Care 30 Volume Clear Developer 32 oz."

Last edited:
I was thinking of grabbing one of the Tusken Raider sand bases/stands to display R2 on. Anyone know what a fair price is for one of these? My only a real point of reference is SS sells GI Joe stands for $14 shipped.

If you're trying to match other stands I suppose it's reasonable, I figured it was a one-off. I'm actually using the stand for my Tusken, though I don't normally use them on other figures - he's up high and the support is hidden under his robes, so you can't see it thankfully.

Ordered this from China for £100 which is a good price currently.
Got up this morning and my order is cancelled and I have been refunded.
Great. No way am I paying more than £120 for this. I will just have to be patient.
Not impressed this morning.

Back