Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone see the IGN unboxing of this figure and see the comments saying "for 150$ this thing better fly, cook me dinner, and speak Spanish" and "Sideshow is overpriced, this thing should cost no more than 50$" just get annoyed with the incredible ignorance over the lack of respect and craftsmanship that goes into these figures, and they all sound like entitled brats

Anyone see the IGN unboxing of this figure and see the comments saying "for 150$ this thing better fly, cook me dinner, and speak Spanish" and "Sideshow is overpriced, this thing should cost no more than 50$" just get annoyed with the incredible ignorance over the lack of respect and craftsmanship that goes into these figures, and they all sound like entitled brats

Don't remember seeing that review, I can say I'm happy with my R2 figure though..., it looks stunning. :)

no more than 50$" just get annoyed with the incredible ignorance over the lack of respect and craftsmanship that goes into these figures, and they all sound like entitled brats

This figure can definitely be made and sold at a very healthy profit for $50 - in mass-market quantities, like hundreds of thousands of units. At that scale it's easy to pay for the R&D and tooling. Manufacturing costs and materials are going to be insignificant compared to tooling. The general public doesn't understand this, they don't understand collectibles - they see this and compare it to Hasbro and anything else they see on the shelf at TRU. On top of that, people who read IGN probably just don't understand anything at all. ;)

"Use those long fingers of yours...":lol

And is the big accessory called "Obi Wan's credenza"?

Anyway, seemed like they liked it a lot in the review.

Got R2 today. He looks great, no damage but seems extremely fragile. Some panels pop open too easily but it's not such a big deal. But a sound chip is sorely missing for this little guy...

Yes a sound chip would have been the cherry on top. Pretty much a given that HT will add one whenever they get around to doing theirs

This has been done here already but the more i looked at r2 i found the weathering a bit to uniformed,particularly on the dome so i de-weathered it. Not completely but i wanted to have it closer to the look when we first see him in the film,more dirty than weathered. I used a 70% alcohol prep pad and i think it worked great! I also removed that silver paint from his eye(it's just wrong!). I used acetone free polish remover on a cotton bud and gentle rubbed it away,again i think it worked great!
View attachment 167834View attachment 167835View attachment 167836

I looked through quite a bit of the thread and didn't see this answered. I apologize if I missed it.

R2 has three of those swivel-eye projector lights. Are all three supposed to illuminate, or just the one in the front?

Back