Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just saying your life must be hell because NOTHING seems to be good enough for you.

Don't confuse something with flaws as not being good enough. Nothing is perfect, but plenty of things are good enough. That's life, that's nature.

But when it comes to collecting, many people, myself included, are only interested in acquiring a new product if it offers something a previous one didn't. So, while this SSC R2 may be good enough, even with its flaws, the Medi one I mentioned, is not good enough. Comprendes?

I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone else how to enjoy their hobby nor their work. If you're studying to be a psychologist you have to listen more and stop passing judgement.

I don't think everyone would walk out... ;)

latest

:lol

Hey Pix, is it you who's made those wonderful screen accurate displays of your figures against realistic backgrounds, including one of Luke during the Bespin duel? If so, it would be nice to see them again. There's shelves... and there's shelves.
I could care less about how realist his background is (I hope there isnt a single flaw:lol) either way I will take virtually every example of a MOC vintage R2-D2 figure.

Hey Pix, is it you who's made those wonderful screen accurate displays of your figures against realistic backgrounds, including one of Luke during the Bespin duel?

Well I don't know about screen accurate, but screen-inspired, yes. ;) There's an enormous amount of artistic license taken with the displays. Click the Flickr icon under my profile photo here in the thread or here https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpiper/ and scroll.

Well I don't know about screen accurate, but screen-inspired, yes. ;) There's an enormous amount of artistic license taken with the displays. Click the Flickr icon under my profile photo here in the thread or here https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpiper/ and scroll.

Is it possible to make the Vader saber blade a bit longer or is that restricted by the cathode tubes? Based on the SW blade, it seems like it should be maybe 1" longer.

Our full review has been published. Check it out.

Great in-depth review! (...but the Hoth coat we saw WAS blue because that's how it appeared onscreen much of the time [to Kenner as well, and LFL - who approved a wide variety of toys/comics/goods with blue coats,] even if the costume jacket itself WAS indeed 100% brown.:lol)

It's an awesome figure, but it's a slight bummer the Kenobi hut table is not close to being screen accurate... the overall shape, the scale of the items on it (tap things and hologram) and its size are off. But I guess it's nice to have even if it's so far off.

Is it possible to make the Vader saber blade a bit longer or is that restricted by the cathode tubes? Based on the SW blade, it seems like it should be maybe 1" longer.

Restricted by the availability of CCFL bulbs. If I were making these sabers for a mass-produced product, say with 1000+ units, then I could have custom length bulbs made.

.but the Hoth coat we saw WAS blue because that's how it appeared onscreen

Some people don't have an attention for detail and are busy dropping their jaws to watch carefully. ;) I mean, Star Wars! Wooo! But let's not let this thread go coat. After over a year I'm sure this is still being discussed weekly if not daily in the Hoth Han thread.

:lecture What we see is a brown coat (and other brown, white, tan items) passing under blue and other colored lights. It's clear as day if you watch Han come in from the outside while he walks around Echo base. You can see the color cast change as he passes in the path of the different lights. Likewise with Chewbacca's fur and everything else. :lecture

WRT to the table, maybe I'll make a new one if the included one doesn't look good enough on the shelf.

This R2 is kind of like a closing chapter -- the end of the original Sideshow Star Wars era (certainly the end of old pricing as seen by the cost of R2).

From SS Luke Jedi to SS R2-D2 -- 2005 - 2015.

Restricted by the availability of CCFL bulbs. If I were making these sabers for a mass-produced product, say with 1000+ units, then I could have custom length bulbs made.

Some people don't have an attention for detail and are busy dropping their jaws to watch carefully. ;) I mean, Star Wars! Wooo! But let's not let this thread go coat. After over a year I'm sure this is still being discussed weekly if not daily in the Hoth Han thread.

:lecture What we see is a brown coat (and other brown, white, tan items) passing under blue and other colored lights. It's clear as day if you watch Han come in from the outside while he walks around Echo base. You can see the color cast change as he passes in the path of the different lights. Likewise with Chewbacca's fur and everything else. :lecture

WRT to the table, maybe I'll make a new one if the included one doesn't look good enough on the shelf.

Okay, those sabers look awesome though.

And re: Hoth coat, we can conjecture back-and-forth what was seen throughout the 1980's (obviously actual film prints that cannot be replicated) and the merits of the various color timings of transfers to home entertainment versions over the years (which vary greatly in terms of coat color.)

What we do know for 100% certainty however is that both Kenner and LFL officlally endorsed the coat as blue back then. People seem to think it was one Kenner action figure - but it went way beyond that to other toys, comics and merchandise, all of it LFL officially approved. As we know from the stories of all the licensees who were rejected back then, LFL was every bit as picky and detail-oriented then as they were in the modern era. It's like saying they'd let ANH Han be released with a brown vest.

So this is not an issue of "some fans thought they saw..." and a "one-off mistake by Kenner" - it was indeed official and widespread. Now...

Before returning to normal R2 programming, I will leave you with the most up-to-date official input on the matter, which I have posted before, from the Star Wars Costumes book, published a month or two ago:

"As a result of extensive postproduction color grading on Empire, the anorak (coat) appeared to be navy on screen." - p79, Star Wars Costumes

So... coat costume WAS brown, but DID appear navy blue on screen. This... is official confirmation and supercedes any opinions expressed on any forum and ends the debate. Or does it?:lol

"As a result of extensive postproduction color grading on Empire, the anorak (coat) appeared to be navy on screen." - p79, Star Wars Costumes

So... coat costume WAS brown, but DID appear navy blue on screen. This... is official confirmation and supercedes any opinions expressed on any forum and ends the debate. Or does it?:lol

(La la la la, pretending this is the Hoth Han thread for the moment....)

Yeah I have to believe Lucas or Kershner did extensive color tests with the costumes beforehand, and always intended that the brown coat would appear blue after color grading, just like they always intended that Han's pale blue-grey Bespin jacket would appear a darker blue-grey later on in the film.

I mean are we really going to see the same people arguing that Han's Bespin jacket on the new 1/6 figure should be the same color as the actual jacket? Even thought it would look kind of blah and crappy? And not nearly as cool as the darker blue-grey we all remember?

Back