Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a one and done for me. I dont give a rats ass how many $300 beeping, light up R2's Hot Toys does.

Me too. It looks great so far (especially for the price) and I'm not bothered by the seam possibly being seen IRL. So unless there is something horribly wrong with the little droid that you can't see in pictures, I'm more than happy with Sideshow's.

Me too. It looks great so far (especially for the price) and I'm not bothered by the seam possibly being seen IRL. So unless there is something horribly wrong with the little droid that you can't see in pictures, I'm more than happy with Sideshow's.

Me three. I am also not bothered by having a "clean" 3PO and a "dirty" R2. :naughty

Secondary market would still have these but hard to see these dropping under $130 as TaliBane says. We haven't yet seen the affect HT Vader and Stormtrooper will have on prices of the sideshow versions.

He wasn't talking about secondary market (used resale, scalping, etc.) as he clearly said "discount" :) Look at the price of Sideshow Storm and Sand troopers. Vaders, Obi Wan. Ridiculously high in the aftermarket. These items will never be available again. A new product doesn't change that. If they're in demand, their prices will go up. If they're not, their prices will go down. That's just the collectibles market. The price of Beany Babies didn't tank because someone released a better stuffed toy - people just stopped collecting.

Benefit of the doubt as he didn't specify SS either. I'm sure once the HT figures are actually released (shadow trooper aside due to the limited nature) the old SS versions will drop significantly on the secondary market.

If people aren't happy with this R2 and are going to wait for a phantom brushed aluminum is-never-gonna-happen HT R2, then they're never going to happy with any R2 and they're in the wrong hobby.

Maybe. But doubtful.

I'll pay money for a Sideshow old ben, but I can't say the same for that pile of crap Hot Toys has shown

Ha, you're right. Not in all cases, that's for sure.
I'm guessing SS stormies and ANH vader will at least return to their original prices once the HT versions hit, but maybe they won't drop below that. I'll hedge my bet.

:lol at some of these posts. ;)

The only thing I don't like in SSC R2D2 is the seam... but I really hate that they photoshopped the heck out of it in the "new" photos. Still might pick him up.

... I also thin the HT old ben is pretty good. :)

It is actually pretty good. And the sculpt is a pretty realistic looking human - just not Alec Guinness (ANH Obi Wan), but the Sideshow old Ben is excellent in that regard.

Yes. That is why I am keeping my SS Old Ben and not ordering the HT's. I have just the stock paint (only mod I did was a HT body) Old Ben and it still holds its own very well with high end sculpts.

If people aren't happy with this R2 and are going to wait for a phantom brushed aluminum is-never-gonna-happen HT R2, then they're never going to happy with any R2 and they're in the wrong hobby.

Not really. As a collector, how many times have we said this is the figure for me, only to replace it later on with a newer version that's better?
True, newer doesnt necessarily always means better, but in most cases, it is. Of course, something better has to be done to compete with an older model.
A factor also to consider is the love for the character. If its a minor upgrade, its pretty easy to settle with a current figure, specially if it is already nice to begin with.

But some characters, people want the best version of it.
With hot toys having significant success with their diecast figures, hence even now insinuating a diecast upgrade to the earlier Ironmman figures, if Hot toys decide to do this in diecast, then its not gonna be just another newer figure.

Everyone who has had a diecast figure said that there's just something about having metallic components to a figure and the weight has a wow factor.
Much like a premium format where the heft of the statue has a feeling of grand...there's gonna be a difference with one figure completely plastic, and the other being heavier and with metallic components.

I also have this on pre-order. But I'm also looking ahead of what is inevitable.
With Hot toys having the license now, there is absolutely No way they will skip one of the most beloved character of Star Wars.
The only question is if its gonna be diecast figure or not.
This Sideshow figure is truly more bang for your buck. The price is also great specially since SS came out with guns blazing with all these accessories.
But here's the thing, unless you have Jabba diorama to go with it, an overwhelming number of people here will display it without the accesories. I know if I buy it, just about everything is staying in the box.

So the biggest factor is the figure itself. And after seeing the proto of tamashii diecast R2-D2, I just have a feeling that Hot Toys will end up making the finished version of this.
Also, I know most talking feature is just a dumb ploy to add to the price and is usually useless, but I have to say that everytime I turn on the lights to my Medicom R2, I always still have to press the talk button on R2 and it never gets old hearing his bee boo boopp talk. :lol

So if Hot Toys does this with Diecast, with talking feature, and with no seams on the dome...then its not just a matter of people being too OCD.

Here's the tamashii Diecast R2 proto.

Last edited:
And that one doesn't look better than Sideshows.

Sure, HT will make one sometime. No denying that. Could be later this year. Could be two years after the new flick.

SS's looks great and appears to be the best 1/6 version of the character. It's also stuck at the docks and will be on our shelves in a few weeks.

Someone posted in the "Dock Issues" thread that notices were starting to come for R2, did anyone get one?

And that one doesn't look better than Sideshows.

Sure, HT will make one sometime. No denying that. Could be later this year. Could be two years after the new flick.

SS's looks great and appears to be the best 1/6 version of the character. It's also stuck at the docks and will be on our shelves in a few weeks.

Its because its still very early in the proto stage. The lights feature hasnt even been implemented.
Their finished C3PO turned out excellent. One of the cases where 1/6 looks just about as good as their full size counterpart.
So I think their finished R2 would have been excellent also.
And the thing is, as I mentioned, I can see Hot Toys producing what would have been a finished version of the tamashii.

I'm not really bothered by the lack of sound myself. It would most likely be something where the lights and sound are combined in some annoying, preprogrammed pattern (like in those Diamond Select Star Trek toys), and I'd much rather have the option to only display it with the lights on instead.

The Tama R2 doesn't look good because of 1. the chrome dome, and 2. it's closer to 1/7 scale than 1/6.

Back