Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dome finish is not looking great in those pics. Both the seam and the paint itself brings the figure down a little. A real brushed metal dome might have been a cool choice, but I guess that might have had a seam also.

Height looks tweak-able. With some "wheels" under his feet, he'll be about right next to 3PO. This has calmed the nerves a bit for me in terms of the height, which was my only major concern with this fig.

And yeah, Yoda was a pretty bad fig even when it was released. Got it, shrugged, sold it.

Good to see Anakin put his make-up on for the photo shoot, though he's got a little geisha thing going there. Less is more.

Got mine today, will have my review posted on Monday.

r2d2yn.jpg

The seam seems to be more prominent in some photos than others. Hopefully, the flash is making it look worse than it is. Anyway, R2 really does look great. Those old SS figures though, YUcK!

Take these photos with a grain of salt, Rebelscum takes some of the worst and most unflattering photos of figures you will ever see anywhere on the internet - consistently horrible. R2 looks absolutely TERRIBLE in every one of their shots posted here so far. But we know from other photos that he'll look better in hand. Except maybe that seam. ;)

Yup. The seam is not looking good. Only complaint. May have to perform surgery on him when he arrives.

Take these photos with a grain of salt, Rebelscum takes some of the worst and most unflattering photos of figures you will ever see anywhere on the internet - consistently horrible. R2 looks absolutely TERRIBLE in every one of their shots posted here so far. But we know from other photos that he'll look better in hand. Except maybe that seam. ;)
No doubt they are unforgiving (something about that blue background, too... just lends a sickly pallor to everything in the frame -- though I note 3PO still manages to look great :D). R2 I'd say is a good figure for $130.00 (w/coupon) but no way does it do justice to the character. I think it's decent... and for the money, eh, can one really complain. That said, I'll be ck1ing it while I await a doggone spun aluminium dome and proper proportions. I really feel this is excellent value, but it's an example where I'd pay double or triple for a definitive version.

I actually sort of like the "warts and all" look of Rebelscum (and cooltoyreview) photos. Their pics are higher-resolution than most other sites too, and the way they shoot things you can really see all the details as they would be under bright, flat lighting. As a customizer, that's essential for me. They do the occasional high contrast "in scene" pics, but with SSC Vader for example, I don't want yet another high contrast, part silhouette pic that hides inaccuracies. I also like how comprehensive they are (as in lots of pics, in and out of package) - it's an invaluable resource - and how they have some fun with poses including other 1/6 figs.

Why didn't the genius scholars at SSC include wheels in the fist place? Sure makes the whole behind he scenes thing laughable.

To be fair, R2 didn't have wheels at all in many scenes, but yeah, SSC should have had the option of visible/raised wheels.

The option of those pipes where Kenny Baker's legs would go would have been cool too, though I guess that might have been tough to incorporate, and they are mostly not there in the movies.

I actually sort of like the "warts and all" look of Rebelscum

I didn't mean to imply that their photo showed the weaknesses of the subject matter - they're just poor photos. They absolutely rarely depict what the product actually looks like in reality. Look even at their Sideshow Vader images. To top them off, ridiculous height comparisons that bare no resemblance to reality. IMO, they're poor photographs and rather useless images that have zero relevance if you want to see what you'll be getting when buying the product. I'd like to be even harsher here, but I'm tired. ;) In the R2 shots all the subtlety of the paint app on the piece is washed out. Honestly, that last shot doesn't even look like a 3 dimensional figure, it looks like a photograph of an illustration, you cant even see depth on the panels FFS. Sorry, the photos suck.

To be fair, R2 didn't have wheels at all in many scenes.

My recollection of R2 is that he was on wheels in every single scene, but I'll have to go look again to be sure. I'd prop him up a bit with some shims whatever the case.

Last edited:
Lucky! Was that an actual ordered item or a promo sent by Sideshow?

We got an early sample sent from Sideshow, it came in an all white box actually, not a final printed one like on StarWars.com

Back