Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't had a chance to share this with you guys. My awesome wife was planning on getting me R2 for Christmas, but obviously because of the strike, it didn't happen.

But she wanted to wrap something up for me to open, so this is what she did:

IMG_6694%2B1.JPG

IMG_6690%2B1.JPG

She made a cutout of R2 on foamcore with a stand and put it in a box.

How awesome is that? I feel like I already have R2! :lol

The cutout height is pretty accurate to the specs on the website (6.75"), maybe about 1/16th of an inch shy. I'd say the size is pretty good, but maybe is a teeny tiny bit short. It could stand to be another 1/4 to 1/2 inch taller I think.

So anyway, just thought I would show you guys how great my wife is! :)

Thanks, fellas! My wife will be happy to know you guys all approve! :lol

She was probably more annoyed than I was about R2's delay, especially when I was assuring her than according to Sideshow it was still on track for a December release. She was annoyed because all my presents ended up being "practical" things like clothes and couldn't give me a "fun" present!

I love that she placed the cut out in that cool black foam!

Thanks, fellas! My wife will be happy to know you guys all approve! :lol

She was probably more annoyed than I was about R2's delay, especially when I was assuring her than according to Sideshow it was still on track for a December release. She was annoyed because all my presents ended up being "practical" things like clothes and couldn't give me a "fun" present!

I love that she placed the cut out in that cool black foam!

Lucky guy.... My wife likes Star Wars too but I wouldn't have got that kind of treatment... :lol I usually just get a headshake (not in a good way) when I show her something new.... Although I did get the gentle giant Vader and son & Vader's little princess statues for fathers day last year. I have 9 year old twins (boy & girl) who love Star Wars too :yess: and those fit with her love for Disney and my kids more than me I think...... :wink1: And they also look right at home with her Disney crap, uh I mean stuff.... :rotfl

Lucky guy.... My wife likes Star Wars too but I wouldn't have got that kind of treatment... :lol I usually just get a headshake (not in a good way) when I show her something new.... Although I did get the gentle giant Vader and son & Vader's little princess statues for fathers day last year. I have 9 year old twins (boy & girl) who love Star Wars too :yess: and those fit with her love for Disney and my kids more than me I think...... :wink1: And they also look right at home with her Disney crap, uh I mean stuff.... :rotfl

My wife doesn't really like them, but tolerates them because she knows I love 'em! She does like the "robots" more than the human characters, though. She appreciates their design and construction.

Oddly though, even when you receive your proper R2 figure, you'll have to keep the cutout, because that's the one she made. A handmade gift shows more love. :)

Of course I'll have to find a special place for the cutout!

Seeing that lovely placeholder close to the Tamashii C-3PO have reminded me of something. For those of you who own the Tamashii, what are you planning to use with R2-D2 in order to pose them together? Any idea of a similar stand to keep them at the same height?

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for a while. I was thinking of making a base that matched the height and fit next to Threepio's base. It's a little tricky because Threepio's base bevels inward. So in order to have a more flush, continuous base, the accompanying base will have to flare outward to interlock with Threepio's. Not sure what material I'll make it out of. In addition to making cut outs of R2 out of foamcore, my wife is also an artist--a metalsmith. So she has plenty of materials for me to choose from, like plexiglass or various metals. I'm sure I'll be consulting with her about what would be the best strategy. I may end up just doing a whole other base that will fit them both, and have a slot to put Threepio's clamp stick thing.

Seeing that lovely placeholder close to the Tamashii C-3PO have reminded me of something. For those of you who own the Tamashii, what are you planning to use with R2-D2 in order to pose them together? Any idea of a similar stand to keep them at the same height?

I have the Taito and it looks like it will keep it's job as placeholder for the time being. The one thing it has going for it is the size, but it has that going for it so..

I didn't really feel the need to have (those particular) droids before I got the Tamashii, it was just too good to pass up. But if I can't get a good companion for it I might as well not bother. Time will tell.

I would think two extras of the new Hot Toys bases would be an option.

Back