Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got mine and it's great.
I just can't figure out how to get the lights to work.
Which panel are people talking about to push or touch?
Can some one take a pic pointing to it?
Only other thing is one of his front doors just flys open its very loose.

Touch this panel to turn on/off the lights. (Details under pic)

103729x800_zpsdabac685.jpg

Step 1: on/off switch under the dome.

Step 2: Locate large blue panel on R2's dome right side (left side when facing R2).

Step 3: one touch on panel to switch lights on.

Step 4: one more touch on panel to switch projector on.

Step 5: one more touch on panel to turn everything off.

I figured out the lights but now my projector light doesn't work.
Is there a delay on it or is it supposed to light up right away?

One touch red/blue lights on
2nd touch projector lights come on
3rd touch turns all lights back off

I'll say it because no one else is, but this little guy, as great as he looks, and ignoring the fragility that everyone is complaining about, still looks about 1/4" too short compared to Luke up there. Less so in the 3PO images, so maybe Luke's a bit too tall. My intention is to mask this with creative posing of all the characters next to him and some lifts. If it works for Tom Cruise it'll work for R2.

I tested the weathering with a wipe of lighter fluid on the underside of the feet and it cleaned straight off. Now I need to decide if I want to clean it all off.

Mine just came too. There's a slight dimple in the side and there's a bit of silver on the right leg. I can't get the top hatch open to insert the saber hilt, but it's R2.

A few weeks ago I watched a video; I think it was an official SS behind-the-scenes type thing at their website. It was narrated by a woman; she said in the interest of being true to the inconsistencies within Star Wars, they were including switch-out (or interchangeable) shoulders, to match the scenes in the film where the left and right shoulders were changed around. I haven't read anything here to indicate that SS did this... Anyone?

For the uninitiated and clumsy finger-challenged-afraid to open this thing and break it crowd (for which I have confessed to) here is the best video I've seen so far -- from unboxing to full demonstration. After watching it I think I'm almost ready to open this up and start playing with my little guy -- wait, that didn't sound right. :lol

Anyway, here's the vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeCYyj_PUyo

A few weeks ago I watched a video; I think it was an official SS behind-the-scenes type thing at their website. It was narrated by a woman; she said in the interest of being true to the inconsistencies within Star Wars, they were including switch-out (or interchangeable) shoulders, to match the scenes in the film where the left and right shoulders were changed around. I haven't read anything here to indicate that SS did this... Anyone?

She's right, they did. This answers it! (see video posted above)

Here's my review. Overall, a pretty nice figure, just a bit bummed about a couple of the paint app issues. Hopefully Sideshow can sort me out with a replacement. As this will likely be my only Artoo figure in the collection, I really want this one to not have these issues.

For the uninitiated and clumsy finger-challenged-afraid to open this thing and break it crowd (for which I have confessed to) here is the best video I've seen so far -- from unboxing to full demonstration. After watching it I think I'm almost ready to open this up and start playing with my little guy -- wait, that didn't sound right. :lol

Anyway, here's the vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeCYyj_PUyo

She's right, they did. This answers it! (see video posted above)
Thanks for that. I expected they did it, and maybe almost nobody was aware of it so they haven't been talking about it.

Thanks for that. I expected they did it, and maybe almost nobody was aware of it so they haven't been talking about it.

I know. I didn't even know they said they would do it, but they did. Kinda cool they actually followed through, huh?

BTW, excellent video koolkollectibleskhai. :clap

Since when did SSC stop putting "Exclusive" stickers on the boxes? I don't know why it bothers me that it doesn't have it.

I suppose a cost cutting move. Oh well that sucks.

Just took this picture with flash, momaw i think you should speak with sideshow about your dome/ qc issues. I don't think they even tried on your one :gah:
View attachment 164389

Raiders: Is your drink tray stable? Do the different levels of it keep breaking into chunks? I can't figure out if mine is defective or if they're all like that.

I never once in the thousand times I have seen Star Wars ever noticed those shoulder switches. :huh

I took some pictures of this little guy with his bigger Premium Format counterpart. Comparing the two I think they did a better job on the Premium Format. The dome has no seams, the weathering is better and more natural, the paint job is a bit more accurate, it doesn't have bit's opening at the slightest touch, it has metal hoses attached to the legs, the third leg looks better out and the lighting sequencing and effect looks much nicer. I tried to do a video of the lighting difference but it didn't turn out (only have a crappy mobile phone camera and the glare washed out the subtlety of the effects). If they had shrunk down the PF this would have been a much better figure in my opinion.

That said, I still really like my sixth scale R2. He does have a lot more posing options which is a major plus. His third leg when retracted goes in better as well, the touch panel is much nicer then the push button of the PF and the restraining bolt can actually be put in the correct place. My major gripe with the sixth scale one is really the seams on the dome. The one at the front stands out like dogs balls. I can't understand "it's not noticeable" comments because it's plain as day in most pictures and in hand. As fas as I can see there is no excuse for it. If there is some reason it was unavoidable it really should have been at the side and not visible from front viewing. I am considering a second - one to pose with Hot Toys Bespin Luke and the other with the SS C3PO.

P2071611_zps1dw6ul5z.jpg

Thanks for the great pics!

In the pic above, I actually think the 1/6 looks a little more realistic than the 1/4. Something about the way the chest panels look seems more like the prop in the 1/6. Dome looks more accurate on the 1/6 also, but that's probably just the lens distorting the 1/4 a bit and giving it that overly rounded look. And why doesn't the 1/4 R2's blue "chest arms" have the indentations in them like the 1/6 does? They are just flat to the curve of the body when they should zig-zag a bit.

Weathering definitely looks great on the 1/4 though.

Is that a 1/6 scale restraining bolt on the 1/4 R2? Looks tiny.

I just got mine. It is more fragile and "loose" than I expected. Still, it looks great. I think the 3PO preorder may be in order!

Back