Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the silver pen being referred to? I'd like to just touch up the place without silver and just get a new dome for the cracked light. Thanks!

Testors, among others, make paint markers, readily available online, hobby shops, even Staples may have something.

I just got back in town and finally got to open and inspect R2. The back projector was loose inside the dome when I opened it up(like Waller's and Barryo's). I was able to fish it out and put in place. It was kind of a pain, but I didn't want to send it back. The legs are kinda loose on mine, I have to tilt him forward a bit to get him to stand when the drinking tray is in place. Everything else is pretty nice.

I havent seen too many pictures of him with the tray on, here are a few...

0771000x891_zps913f9471.jpg

0911000x694_zps65b58c13.jpg

The Tamiya weathering kits would be a good option... very easy to use and you just brush them own and instantly add some dirt, grime, grease, etc.

I've never used the Tamiya kits but I've always wanted too. Id really like to give it a try on my Tama Threepio.

And just fyi, for those that are using alcohol to wipe off the weathering on R2 you can do the same for the over done goop on the HT BD T2 Terminator. I did it the first day I got the figure, and it looks way better. The silver underneath looks excellent.

Just opened up my Artoo, and was a little bummed at some of the paint app issues along the ring around his body.

They're only minor marks, but due to their location facing near the front and position on the silver, it makes them very obvious. Since this is really the only Artoo figure I'll ever need, I think I might ask Sideshow if they can give me a replacement.

It's a shame they marks are on that ring since it doesnt seem to be easily removeable.

I was looking around to see if anyone else had these issues! I am not alone I guess! Are you contacting SSC about it? I am thinking about it.

I just got back in town and finally got to open and inspect R2. The back projector was loose inside the dome when I opened it up(like Waller's and Barryo's). I was able to fish it out and put in place. It was kind of a pain, but I didn't want to send it back. The legs are kinda loose on mine, I have to tilt him forward a bit to get him to stand when the drinking tray is in place. Everything else is pretty nice.

View attachment 164346

View attachment 164347

That second pic looks great, it's a shame we have'nt seen more of these characters from jabba's palace get done.

I took some pictures of this little guy with his bigger Premium Format counterpart. Comparing the two I think they did a better job on the Premium Format. The dome has no seams, the weathering is better and more natural, the paint job is a bit more accurate, it doesn't have bit's opening at the slightest touch, it has metal hoses attached to the legs, the third leg looks better out and the lighting sequencing and effect looks much nicer. I tried to do a video of the lighting difference but it didn't turn out (only have a crappy mobile phone camera and the glare washed out the subtlety of the effects). If they had shrunk down the PF this would have been a much better figure in my opinion.

That said, I still really like my sixth scale R2. He does have a lot more posing options which is a major plus. His third leg when retracted goes in better as well, the touch panel is much nicer then the push button of the PF and the restraining bolt can actually be put in the correct place. My major gripe with the sixth scale one is really the seams on the dome. The one at the front stands out like dogs balls. I can't understand "it's not noticeable" comments because it's plain as day in most pictures and in hand. As fas as I can see there is no excuse for it. If there is some reason it was unavoidable it really should have been at the side and not visible from front viewing. I am considering a second - one to pose with Hot Toys Bespin Luke and the other with the SS C3PO.

P2071611_zps1dw6ul5z.jpg

P2071613_zpsouxe3yih.jpg

P2071616_zpstyky3uss.jpg

P2071619_zpsbfgj6e2t.jpg

P2071623_zpsrke3uni6.jpg

P2071624_zpsgoqobgkt.jpg

P2071626_zpsnhfw4rld.jpg

P2071627_zpsdotlnbpj.jpg

P2071628_zpsqiud8cbc.jpg

P2071630_zpsockmbd9y.jpg

P2071631_zpsddks02ba.jpg

P2071633_zpssz6ltm2s.jpg

View attachment 164346

View attachment 164347

Great collection.

Bounty Hunters need to be finished first. At least Zuckuss and 4-LOM.

Is anyone here planning to make a Death Star-D2 unit?

No, but I am planning on repainting the blue on mine brown.

Show off. All your awesome Jabba Palace creatures. What ev-er....

:D

:D To be honest with you, the main reason I picked up R2 was that he came with the drinking tray and serving attachment. I have been wanting a proper R2 to add to my Jabba display for ages.

I agree, its too bad more creatures have not been produced. Hopefully with HT doing Star Wars now SSC will focus on what they do best, secondary creatures and aliens.

I haven't opened my R2 shipping box yet but I'm a little bummed that I payed $168 for a figure that I feel is "necessary" but not one that I'm incredibly excited about. Hopefully he'll blow me away when I take him out and set him up.

I initially felt the same way after all the talk about fragility etc. But then I opened it up and realised that I finally have a high-end R2 in my hands. Not a crappy clock, or puny medicom, or Gentle Giant statue that never happened... but a really good example of R2 that belongs with any other SW figure on the shelf. Or even as a stand-alone piece. I became even more excited after seeing what Lopie and now King have done with taking the weathering off. I've got a free Saturday today and a project :woo

I thought I was gonna end up with a pristine R2, what I ended up finding is there is a much more natural weathering under that coat of muck Sideshow layered on top. He's actually white now, and much more evenly weathered. Still doesn't match up to the show room floor tama 3PO, but by accident I got a much better looking R2. Are you can control the amount of grime you want to remove, so you can get a little more in some spots and clean up other spots so he not so uniformly covered.

Not sure if these picture really illustrate it.

Have to spread reputation around... That looks smashing. Really, really good :clap

I gotta say R2 looks great with the factory weathering taken off! Great job King and Lopie!

I'm not sure I'll grow a pair big enough to do it, but kudos to you guys!

My pair is small, but I'm going to have a go. If I don't stuff it up there's no way you will :)

No sticker on mine either.

Shipper states 'Exclusive'.

I think I recall someone getting theirs early saying there was no sticker.

I had to count my accessories, and then I saw the shipper marked 'exclusive'. Missing the gold sticker I thought I'd been short-changed :lol

I took some pictures of this little guy with his bigger Premium Format counterpart. Comparing the two I think they did a better job on the Premium Format. The dome has no seams, the weathering is better and more natural, the paint job is a bit more accurate, it doesn't have bit's opening at the slightest touch, it has metal hoses attached to the legs, the third leg looks better out and the lighting sequencing and effect looks much nicer. I tried to do a video of the lighting difference but it didn't turn out (only have a crappy mobile phone camera and the glare washed out the subtlety of the effects). If they had shrunk down the PF this would have been a much better figure in my opinion.

That said, I still really like my sixth scale R2. He does have a lot more posing options which is a major plus. His third leg when retracted goes in better as well, the touch panel is much nicer then the push button of the PF and the restraining bolt can actually be put in the correct place. My major gripe with the sixth scale one is really the seams on the dome. The one at the front stands out like dogs balls. I can't understand "it's not noticeable" comments because it's plain as day in most pictures and in hand. As fas as I can see there is no excuse for it. If there is some reason it was unavoidable it really should have been at the side and not visible from front viewing. I am considering a second - one to pose with Hot Toys Bespin Luke and the other with the SS C3PO.

P2071611_zps1dw6ul5z.jpg

Been looking forward to a comparison, thanks for posting the pics. You do have to admit though that they're pretty close in detail & quality considering the scale difference and price difference (1/6 $150, 1/4 $400).

:lol Now that's dedication to the cause.

But you're right about the seam on yours, in the pics looks like you got a severe one, the seam on your dome is really noticeable.

I feel like a "that's what she said" is in order here... Hopefully I'm getting a new dome as mine has some problems. With luck I might get one of the "hardly noticeable" ones.

I just tried to pose R2 looking down/leaning forward and the damn left hatch won't stay closed in that position. Gonna have to do something about that.

Been looking forward to a comparison, thanks for posting the pics. You do have to admit though that they're pretty close in detail & quality considering the scale difference and price difference (1/6 $150, 1/4 $400).

Absolutely. Small R2 is much better value and a fantastic figure.

Back