Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy **** chase that looks fantabulous...........imma doin it..........:rock:rock:rock:rock

I thought I was gonna end up with a pristine R2, what I ended up finding is there is a much more natural weathering under that coat of muck Sideshow layered on top. He's actually white now, and much more evenly weathered. Still doesn't match up to the show room floor tama 3PO, but by accident I got a much better looking R2. Are you can control the amount of grime you want to remove, so you can get a little more in some spots and clean up other spots so he not so uniformly covered.

Not sure if these picture really illustrate it.

Looks really great with a touch of weathering still at the base/feet. You guys have some big balls. Well done!

The sculpting of R2 is pretty great. I don't have many complaints in that department. I think the weathering is fairly good too. The lights on mine are kinda wonky. Sometimes I have to tap it a few time before it comes on. Overall I think he looks great on the shelf and goes well with Threepio. My complaint: The doors. They feel flimsy and just pop open and wiggle a little. In this respect he feels, well...kinda junky. He's light, hollow feeling and clunky sounding. For the most part this really is a non-issue considering he's not something I'll be moving around, posing etc. The main thing is he doesn't look cheap. He looks excellent with my high end figures and I'm most happy that I have him. The other thing is I have some dents and chips on the dome and "neck" swivel area.

You guys have some big balls. Well done!

tanuki-balls.gif~c200

Be curious to see if anyone does a better weathering job on this. I mean I can't be the only one who likes seeing him all dirtied up, can I? That's kind of the defining aesthetic of SW after all.

The Tamiya weathering kits would be a good option... very easy to use and you just brush them own and instantly add some dirt, grime, grease, etc.

I thought I was gonna end up with a pristine R2, what I ended up finding is there is a much more natural weathering under that coat of muck Sideshow layered on top. He's actually white now, and much more evenly weathered. Still doesn't match up to the show room floor tama 3PO, but by accident I got a much better looking R2. Are you can control the amount of grime you want to remove, so you can get a little more in some spots and clean up other spots so he not so uniformly covered.

Not sure if these picture really illustrate it.

Damn man, that looks fantastic! Now I feel like I need to de-weather mine as well :lol

Repped for use of the old-school balls gif :lol

Anyone else get an exclusive set without the exclusive sticker?

I've had that happen before... either it fell or was never applied. You can probably get them to send you an extra one.

I though it would be funny to show the SSC R2 with various other "1/6" scale R2s

IMG_0401_zpsid3jzk1c.jpg

Repped! So, is it (L to R) Kenner 12", Kenner RC, Medicom, Jumbo Kenner and Sideshow?

I personally do not like the look after that R2 was cleaned, it just throws off the look to me... Sorry, dislike~

Erm...which part of the dome is the touch sensitive part?
Now now, no laughing.

Edit : found it.

Last edited:
Which Tamiya kit would you recommend, GB?

I bought the A set... if you have a Hobby Lobby by you it ends up being only like $9 if you use the 40% code. I've used the same set on numberous figures and still haven't even used a 1/3 of the material.

It comes with a two-sided applicator and it literally just brushes on and gives the appearance of dirt and dust... the D set has oil which might be nice as well; but at least for most customs I do the A set is great for adding some wear and tear and super easy to use.

Amazon.com: TAMIYA Weathering Master 6-Sets(A,B,C,D,E,F) [Japan Import]: Toys & Games

I've had that happen before... either it fell or was never applied. You can probably get them to send you an extra one.

Repped! So, is it (L to R) Kenner 12", Kenner RC, Medicom, Jumbo Kenner and Sideshow?

Come to think of it I don't have an EX sticker.

Yep I never got a Hasbro one since they were always so expensive. I think I got my Kenner one for less than I could find a Hasbro one:lol

I bought the A set... if you have a Hobby Lobby by you it ends up being only like $9 if you use the 40% code. I've used the same set on numberous figures and still haven't even used a 1/3 of the material.

It comes with a two-sided applicator and it literally just brushes on and gives the appearance of dirt and dust... the D set has oil which might be nice as well; but at least for most customs I do the A set is great for adding some wear and tear and super easy to use.

Amazon.com: TAMIYA Weathering Master 6-Sets(A,B,C,D,E,F) [Japan Import]: Toys & Games

I bought a couple of those to weather my Millenium Falcon. Read good things about them.

Back