Sideshow 1:6 Lando as Skiff Guard Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, there's no doubt that Sideshow got greedy on pricing. I mean yeah China got much more expensive, and the most recent outfits/heads were definitely (for the most part, not in all cases) big steps up on the outfits/heads they did in the 2006-2010 era, and the bodies did improve (not as far as they should have) but Sideshow really had little to justify tripling to quadrupling of prices over the course of roughly ten years.

The $240 for the X-Wing Luke and $270 for Luke Snowspeeder were 100% gouging - no doubt about it, especially given the X-Wing is probably 5 years ago now and the Snowspeeder Luke maybe 3 years ago. These are prices that are pretty high even now many years later, and that's saying something in 1/6 where prices seem to be always rising.

And yeah, while I'd argue that both of those fig heads are HT quality with helmets on, there is no excuse for the lackluster apps on the no-helmet versions of the heads, which to me were on the verge of not being usable without fairly significant modding.

That being said, I've always been the one to say that the Luke Snowspeeder is one of the five best SW 1/6 figures ever made - and I have 100+ SW figs. The cut-sew on the snow jacket and vest is spot-on. But I essentially have three Luke Snowpseeder variations (two with HT heads...) so it's obvious I love the outfit.

An interesting note on how times have changed: when the Luke X came out, I was hit with TWO rounds of negative reputation by a mod simply for criticizing the Luke X head, and now here we are - no more "Sideshow" in "Freaks.":dunno

Talibane I am trying to send you a PM. To no avail because your inbox is full. Please delete old PMs so that you can receive new ones.
Thanks,
m.

Looking back at Sideshow this checklist is not complete but shows a ton of info on release date, price, and run size:

https://imperialholocron.com/checklists/sideshow-collectibles-16-checklist/

I have a ton of Sideshow SW stuff and some of it is absolutely amazing (Probe Droid, Grievous, bounty hunters, etc) and some of it is not so great.

As others have mentioned, their human heads and paint apps (sometimes more the latter than anything) were not that great but for the time they came out, they WERE the industry standard.

Funny thing is every year at SDCC I see booths that still have tons of their figures and the prices are STEEP.

When I got into the hobby most figures were $59.99 at local shops. Darth Maul, Boussh, Kit Fisto, Plo Kloon, etc. It was easy to find Bib Fortuna for $30 (aside from pretty thick paint and an odd body that wont pose he is a steal for that price). Jabba was just over $100 and still looks great on the shelf with Bib.

Around 2008/2009 was the start of the price climb. Went from $60 to $90 average figure and then the Clones came and things kept climbing. I think around Boba Fett/ IG-88 was the first jump up all the way to $175 and then the flood gates were open.

Seeing that list makes me wish I had some of those figures. I'd definitely take characters like Praji and Piett to fill out my Imperial army more. Along with Antilles and the Rebel Fleet Trooper for the Rebel side of things. I wouldn't want to pay asking prices now on figures that look pretty outdated at this point. Not even just sculpts, but tailoring on those older figures. You can really see how far things have come.

Seeing that list makes me wish I had some of those figures. I'd definitely take characters like Praji and Piett to fill out my Imperial army more. Along with Antilles and the Rebel Fleet Trooper for the Rebel side of things. I wouldn't want to pay asking prices now on figures that look pretty outdated at this point. Not even just sculpts, but tailoring on those older figures. You can really see how far things have come.

Yeah, you compare the tailoring on the Imperial uniform on say Piett vs Tarkin and it's night and day different. Some stuff still holds up well though - I still love the original SSC Luke Jedi hooded cloak.

Another issue is that for some of the "better" (later) Sideshow heads, they are the only way to get sculpts of these characters - like Lando and Piett for example. The Piett head isn't bad, just a bit big and the paint somewhat dated (like many of the later SSc heads, he has drunk-guy eyes,) but how else are you going to get a Piett fig? And it's a decent likeness.

This is a custom hat (haven't glued on the metal disc yet) and gloves, Sideshow head and boots, and HT uniform:

48633223421_c01f531adf_k.jpg

It's kind of funny that Sideshow has made no mention of losing the license or put out a statement that says no more Star Wars figures. But they continue showing old figures at conventions as if nothing has happened or is wrong. Is it denial or has the trauma caused them to be perpetually stuck in 2017?

It's kind of funny that Sideshow has made no mention of losing the license or put out a statement that says no more Star Wars figures. But they continue showing old figures at conventions as if nothing has happened or is wrong. Is it denial or has the trauma caused them to be perpetually stuck in 2017?

Maybe they are hoping to get it back ?before anyone notice?? ...maybe the strategy is to only announce good news...

Maybe they are hoping to get it back ?before anyone notice?? ...maybe the strategy is to only announce good news...

I hope they start making Star Wars stuff again. Specifically aliens and creeps from Jabba's palace and Mos Eisley. Maybe some environment type dios as well. Perhaps Disney needs to wake up to the idea that the license is too expensive for certain niche markets and take a product profit percentage instead of a large upfront fee. But being as huge as they are Disney probably wouldn't bother.

Well with Sideshow making Star Wars statues again I wonder if this has a chance at being revived? Could be they can only make statues but who knows:dunno

I hope they start making Star Wars stuff again. Specifically aliens and creeps from Jabba's palace and Mos Eisley. Maybe some environment type dios as well. Perhaps Disney needs to wake up to the idea that the license is too expensive for certain niche markets and take a product profit percentage instead of a large upfront fee. But being as huge as they are Disney probably wouldn't bother.

I really wish that too, but I think those days are gone.

I put that in the days when they had cheap Chinese labour and they didn't need to sell so many to break turn a profit. Perhaps Star Wars licensing fee's weren't so high then either ??

On top of all that, I doubt SS still have the 1/6 design people they once had.

But I'd be totally OK to eat crow and welcome them turning up at the next Con and showing a few niche aliens.

Well with Sideshow making Star Wars statues again I wonder if this has a chance at being revived? Could be they can only make statues but who knows:dunno

I think the SW licenses are quite specific so I don't think making statues means they can make 1/6. It's odd though that they showed this figure with the knowledge the license was running out. They rushed the new Jabba to market and maybe they thought they could do the same with this figure.

The reality is this Lando would likely have been $250+.

After this fig sort of faded away I restarted my custom Lando Skiff (which I had happily abandoned when this fig showed up) - if this eventually does see release, I'll just put my custom fig in the jabba dio and get this fig as a "centerpiece" fig. You can never have too many Landos.:lol

I think the SW licenses are quite specific so I don't think making statues means they can make 1/6. It's odd though that they showed this figure with the knowledge the license was running out. They rushed the new Jabba to market and maybe they thought they could do the same with this figure.

The reality is this Lando would likely have been $250+.

After this fig sort of faded away I restarted my custom Lando Skiff (which I had happily abandoned when this fig showed up) - if this eventually does see release, I'll just put my custom fig in the jabba dio and get this fig as a "centerpiece" fig. You can never have too many Landos.:lol

I think you?re right. That might also be the reason why the new rancor isn?t in a specific scale - or, it?s actually almost exactly 1/7, but they don?t note that. The question is, if they were allowed to do 1/6 scale, maybe they would have added another 10-15 cm to it and probably sold more. [emoji2368] dunno

I think you?re right. That might also be the reason why the new rancor isn?t in a specific scale - or, it?s actually almost exactly 1/7, but they don?t note that. The question is, if they were allowed to do 1/6 scale, maybe they would have added another 10-15 cm to it and probably sold more. [emoji2368] dunno

You getting that Rancor ? Would be interesting to see what a 1/6 Luke would look like beside it. I always had the feeling it was way larger. But you say it could be 1/7 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You getting that Rancor ? Would be interesting to see what a 1/6 Luke would look like beside it. I always had the feeling it was way larger. But you say it could be 1/7 ?

Well, I wanted to get it - until I saw the price here in Europe. The lowest price I?ve seen is just under 1600? [emoji51]... that?s too much. And it?s not that accurate - even though it looks great!
It?s just around 70cm tall without the base, so considering the rancor is 5m tall, it?s almost exactly 1/7 scale. I?m sure it will look great and not too small next to 1/6 figures since you never really see it next to a person in the movie

400a26d08ca09393f1808dc86eb9766f.jpg

Took quite some time, but preorder goes up this Thursday, $245. More pics on Sideshows website.

$245 for a figure that has pretty much no accessories, cheap basic base and an average-decent at best head sculpt along with that horrible body they used on Mythos Boba and Obi-Wan.

Do SS really thing they are on-par with Hot Toys? A lot of HT figures don't even cost that much.

Back