Sideshow 1/6 Jawa Figure Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah they look like a difficult project finding small bodies to work with and the electronics to figure out

They are much tougher customs than you think - just the belts/holsters and weapons alone are really tough to do for one, let alone do 2-3. For my custom Jawa I'm using a 7" figure body and the Hasbro torso/head for the light-up eyes.

Getting into doing the custom is what drove me to buy these. There's just no easy way to get a couple of Jawas.

My key concern with these was the body and the robe, but both are fine - hopefully the superglue mod will do the trick to tighten the body and a little more grime/weathering will push the robe closer to screen accurate. It drapes beautifully but the weave needs to be coarser -weathering might make the fabric weave appear a bit more coarse.

If these ever go down to a half off sale, I'd get em. Just too expensive for what you get

Yeah, given the current context of prices I would say at $170 I was fairly happy with what I got. $130-$150 is probably the price range that pops into my head for this release, but hey - what's happened to 1/6 prices is what it is.

You can't make two custom Jawas for even close to the price of this pair unless you don't factor in even a single minute of time - and even then it's going to be close if you want to make them nice. Can one make nicer Jawas? Ya, sure. But compared to the time/money to make nicer Jawas, these are a steal @$220.

Incidentally, there's nothing from the Hasbro Jawa worth using, not the torso and not the head/eyes - that would be a big down-grade. Just get a decent 8" body to modify and make a custom head.

You can't make two custom Jawas for even close to the price of this pair unless you don't factor in even a single minute of time - and even then it's going to be close if you want to make them nice. Can one make nicer Jawas? Ya, sure. But compared to the time/money to make nicer Jawas, these are a steal @$220.

Incidentally, there's nothing from the Hasbro Jawa worth using, not the torso and not the head/eyes - that would be a big down-grade. Just get a decent 8" body to modify and make a custom head.

I'm combining two Hasbro robes (the weave looks decent) into one to make it taller and just using the head and upper torso for the lights (swapping the press button for a switch) because I'm no electronics expert.

One other issue I have with the SSC Jawas is that while the light-up feature looks nice, the way it's triggered is a total pain. The issue is that the hoods take a fair effort to get them to look just right, then you have to mess it up to turn on the switch on/off at the back of the head. If it had to be on the head due to wiring (as opposed to a button on the figure's torso/back,) maybe a SSC R2-type tap switch next to or between the eyes might have been a solution - the touch pad on the R2 dome is totally hidden and the face is just matte black anyway.

The Hasbro stuff is too much like burlap - not the right weave. If you want to see what the right weave looks like, take a look at your pants. If you're wearing jeans, you're looking at the right weave.

The eyes are no biggie. A single LED inside a hollow head with two translucent plastic or glass beads for eyes (even airsoft pellets if they're clear), connected to a small switch and a flat battery (appropriate resistor in-line with the LED).

The Hasbro stuff is too much like burlap - not the right weave. If you want to see what the right weave looks like, take a look at your pants. If you're wearing jeans, you're looking at the right weave.

The eyes are no biggie. A single LED inside a hollow head with two translucent plastic or glass beads for eyes (even airsoft pellets if they're clear), connected to a small switch and a flat battery (appropriate resistor in-line with the LED).

Yeah, I know about the denim look, but I couldn't find anything with the right weave, color, fabric thickness and that draped delicately enough. What I realized is you have to let go of one or two of those aspects - so I forgive the weave on the SSC because it drapes so well and is the right thhickness. The hasbro one is just the straight burlap look but I thought there's a way I can combine the two robes and build in some folds, then paint/grime it to hold the folds. But it's a lot of work.

Bottom line is the Jawa turned out to be a much more difficult custom than I thought.

And with the LED's, it still sounds too complicated for me. :lol I've taught myself to sew and got an "honorary degree" in paint/plastics science along the way - electronics will maybe be next year.

One issue is the onscreen Jawas eyes do seem to be little flashlight lenses - not sure if that can be matched in 1/6. The SSC eyes do seem a little large and I like SoloBones' much smaller eyes, but you want a custom eye set-up that still looks good/visible unlit, which it would be most of the time on display.

I have the right fabric here (enough to make a number of robes) but it need to be dyed - I have that too, just never got around to it.

With custom head you can make eyes any size you want. Done a few for people in the past out of the stuff I had prepped for my own Jawas which I never completed.

They are much tougher customs than you think - just the belts/holsters and weapons alone are really tough to do for one, let alone do 2-3. For my custom Jawa I'm using a 7" figure body and the Hasbro torso/head for the light-up eyes.

Getting into doing the custom is what drove me to buy these. There's just no easy way to get a couple of Jawas.

My key concern with these was the body and the robe, but both are fine - hopefully the superglue mod will do the trick to tighten the body and a little more grime/weathering will push the robe closer to screen accurate. It drapes beautifully but the weave needs to be coarser -weathering might make the fabric weave appear a bit more coarse.

Yeah, given the current context of prices I would say at $170 I was fairly happy with what I got. $130-$150 is probably the price range that pops into my head for this release, but hey - what's happened to 1/6 prices is what it is.

Very true. it seems like they went from $130-$150 on the high end to $230 - $300 overnight? I dunno...it's nuts

Just received the SS newsletter and they are giving away 2 sets of these.
Hopefully this is a sign we might finally see some discounts or free shipping added to these.

What can be done to stiffen up the joints to make the Jawas be able to stand even with the base? Thanks, any tips would be appreciated...

JESM.
Buy yourself a small tub of silicone rubber, and ask for "Thixotropic" catalyst - it makes the liquid thick like butter or dough - then you can spatula (or wooden lolly stick) it around the knee joints - do each one separately. It forms a firm rubber sleeve that flexes with movement and won't rot like rubber bands.

Keep the joints still whilst the rubber cures. Try not to apply it too thick, or you'll lose the ability to flex the joints.
If inexperienced, you can build it up in layers, slowly.
3mm or so is OK.

If it's a mess - let it set - then you can trim it with small scissors, to tidy it up.

Remember to keep and cover the robes away from the application. A plastic bag over them will do, without having to undress the figure. TALL JAWA 03.jpg

Buy yourself a small tub of silicone rubber, and ask for "Thixotropic" catalyst - it makes the liquid thick like butter or dough - then you can spatula (or wooden lolly stick) it around the knee joints - do each one separately. It forms a firm rubber sleeve that flexes with movement and won't rot like rubber bands.

If it's a mess - let it set then you can trim it up with small scissors to tidy it up.

Remember to keep and cover the robes away from the application. A plastic bag over them will do, without having to undress the figure.

Thanks for the tip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's OK.

You can even make a silicone "Fat Suit"* to thicken up the torso, by painting onto the thin body with silicone.
Silicone will not fuse to any other plastic, but will bond to itself, so if you do this, it has to go around the front AND back to make it work.

Don't get any onto fabric, in liquid form it will go through the fibres and you'll never get it out.
Also to stop the silicone dragging against the robes once set, dust it with a little talcum powder.

To make the silicone last longer, decant only what you need per job, into a separate plastic tub - then add the catalyst to it.

*Fat suit (or wide silicone sleeve) trick can also be used to broaden the SSC TIE FIGHER PILOT waistline. I've not tried it, as I don't have that figure yet, but in theory should work OK - once you manage to remove the garments and armour.
Go easy on the talcum powder with this one, as it's wearing all black.

I am willing to do another run. People ask me but then I believe I reply and I don't hear back. But if you are interested ping me...

Is there any chance that you are still making Jawa robes for the Sideshow Jawas or custom Jawas? Just figured I'd ask. They look awesome!

Just got a shelf up for these guys. Pic's a bit dark but they really are great figures. Everyone should have some Jawa's.

651b567e6543952ca9bf74e332e3c45b_zpsoxd1jn0q.jpg

Just got a shelf up for these guys. Pic's a bit dark but they really are great figures. Everyone should have some Jawa's.

651b567e6543952ca9bf74e332e3c45b_zpsoxd1jn0q.jpg

Nice shot.... Would love to have just 1 to go with my Jabba & throne setup. Somewhere down the line maybe, or if HT visits more background characters.

Very tempted to take them but these problems of holding the joints stopped me. I do not like to have to work on my proders.

The joints are super floppy but I still enjoy the figures. I bought a custom stand here and it works great.

So it was noted that the bodies are re-used from previous ss figures? When did Sideshow make a smaller 1/6 character that used this body?

Back