Sideshow 1/6 Jawa Figure Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, considering the 2015 figures are 10 times better than the 2010 figures, the price increasing by only 5 times is quite a bargain. Excellent point, TaliBane. I agree completely!

Sarcasm aside, truthfully, the only improvement in Sideshow's figures are the paint apps/finish on the headsculpts. Though many would argue the Luke and Han Hoth, Snake and Drake heads - the last four SSC human releases - are not exactly a step in the right direction.

Older Sideshow accessories, weapons and (some, definitely not all) outfits are 100% on-par with today's Sideshow releases. In general, they are interchangable - I work with these older items frequently when customizing.

Examples: The lightsaber from the 2005 Luke Jedi is on-par with the lightsaber from 2015's Luke Hoth. The holster/belt from 2007 smuggler Han is BETTER than the holster/belt from the 2015 Han Hoth (Hasbro-ish pleather.) The bodysuit from 2008's $125 Sideshow Vader is WAY better than 2014's $250 Sideshow DX Vader. So is the facemask sculpt.

I just bought a SSC Rebel commando from 2007, swapped out the head with a DID one and it is 100% as good as anything Sideshow would produce today. Amazingly well done.

So... truthfully, sarcasm aside, in all seriousness...what is ten times better?

Before accosting me as if you are an authority figure and I am six year old consider how broad the statement I made is, how steeply prices have recently risen, and all the factors that contribute to those higher prices.

I wouldn't have been so short if I hadn't.

Are Sideshow posting how much of a greedy little pig you are for wanting them to take a loss on giving you Star Wars figures at a price you consider fair?

Are Sideshow posting how much of a greedy little pig you are for wanting them to take a loss on giving you Star Wars figures at a price you consider fair?

Again, you know for fact what the profit margins are and by offering this for a lower price that they would be taking a loss?

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure the mark up is high on all their items now to make up for all the discounts they now give out

The discounts that no one thinks are generous enough? :dunno

I know as well as you do what the mark ups are. I choose to remain agnostic and not pretend to know that they are 'gouging' (whatever the hell that means). I recognize that it is their product to sell and their prerogative to decide what margin is 1) possible and 2) worth their time.

People can posture all they like about how companies need their customers. Truth is that no company, no thing to buy.

And concerning Sideshow's price increases, these are some of the factors to consider...

Median income in United States:

2005 - $55,178
(2010 - $51,913)
2015 - $53,891

(about level)

Average yearly wages in China (manufacturing):

2005 - Y15,757
2015 - Y51,369

(increase of about 3.5X)

Thanks for posting that. I think this is the real point everyone seems to be forgetting.

Look at the average yearly wage for China: Y51,000. You know how much that is in US dollars? $415. The difference in cost of living in the US is roughly 123 times the amount it is in China.

So consider the US sculptor, the painter, the tailor, the designer, and the art director for the Jawa figure all have to be paid. Say, for the sake of argument, that they are each paid a one time fee of $100 US dollars for their services (it's most assuredly more than that). That's already $500. That's already more than the average yearly wage in China. You would only have to pay the Chinese sculptor, painter, tailor, designer, and art director for the Jawa figure only about 81¢ each vs the US equivalent $100 each for the same job, only $4.00 vs $500 for the whole project.

When you take that into account, you have to wonder how Sideshow isn't MORE expensive! (Or you have to wonder how much profit HT is making!)

I've heard rumblings that Donald Trump is coming out with his own Star Wars 1/6 collectibles figure line now that his presidential bid is all but dashed. He'll be contracting out design and development in the US, but he'll handle all production himself - in China (he's rented a fabulous studio apartment). I wonder how much those will cost.

Good post, Lu. And in addition to what they pay their creative staff, we shouldn't forget all the frontline service people SSC employs. I'm willing to bet SSC's overhead is a LOT higher than HT's.

In regards to the Jawas, I was looking them over again, last night and will definitely be down for a pair. Would ideally like 3 (2 of the shorties and 1 tall), but not sure I want to have to sell one off and break-up a set.

I'll be getting these once I can use a coupon. As my interest in 1/6 has waned over the years I am getting very picky about what I get. But fun character from ANH (that were early Hasbro figures - vinyl cape, baby) are must buys. But I can be patient and wait for a coupon.

:lol At the price bitching.

You get gouged on everything you buy.

$5 for movie popcorn that they paid $3 for a 50lb bag of.

Gasoline. iPhones. Oranges. Cable TV. The price of clothes due to a simple label.

Don't like it don't buy it. :dunno

Yeah, but I can just sneak in a burrito to the movies... what's the work around on dollies? :huh

I'll point you to a few really nice threads by the likes of Chakaman, Natedog, Elvis1976, among others. ;)

The problem is the Google Generation - expecting everything for free because in those "deals" that have spoiled them, they think they're the consumer. That's what cows on the farm think too - it's just a good thing Google is in the "dairy" business and not the meat business. ;) And I know there are a few people that won't understand this analogy.

I'll point you to a few really nice threads by the likes of Chakaman, Natedog, Elvis1976, among others. ;)

The problem is the Google Generation - expecting everything for free because in those "deals" that have spoiled them, they think they're the consumer. That's what cows on the farm think too - it's just a good thing Google is in the "dairy" business and not the meat business. ;) And I know there are a few people that won't understand this analogy.

I wonder if you'd be so vociferous in your defence if it was a HT product.

I wonder if you'd be so vociferous in your defence if it was a HT product.

I would and I have, both here (more times than I can count and more so than in this thread) and on Facebook. Similar topics have come up for other producers as well, including Threezero and numerous custom/freelancers. What I've said here applies universally.

Last edited:

:lol

I'd rep you, but as you can see on this board I'm a "Freaks" dairy cow. :monkey3

Thank you for revealing your own ignorance, I don't see anything in my original post stating sideshow shouldn't make a profit. In fact my original post was not aimed directly at sideshow but rather the pop culture collectibles industry in general, BUT I guess if the shoe fits. Sideshow can price their stuff however they want and the consumer can decide whether or not to purchase. But said consumers are also allowed to ***** about those prices on the internet. That said I like sideshow products, but I feel like their prices are sometimes bizzare and inconsistent which leads to some of the discussion you see in this thread. I would get into specifics but other people already have. Good day.

Back