Sideshow 1/6 Jawa Figure Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I mean by that is for $220 you get two Jawas just standing there... look at Hoth Luke, one picture of everything being received (three sculpts, snow base, multiple accessories justifies the $200 cost to me). Two Jawas just standing there with no base, no sculpts, hardly any accessories does not. So when I look at those pictures and see $220 price tag, how are those figures worth $220?
Pixel already stated this, but if they're making the exact same profit margin on these as they do Hoth Luke, is there still a problem? What if they're making a smaller margin than that figure?

The exclusive on Luke is a better value (3 headsculpts and more accessories), but to be fair with that figure in particular, several of those parts were shared with Han (pants, boots, headgear, hands, gauntlets, rank badge, binoculars), bodies were already in place for those, and those are the two biggest characters in the franchise so they're bound to sell a higher volume than Jawas. The new Disney deal wasn't in place when those were priced and Hot Toys Star Wars wasn't in the game grabbing people's Star Wars money and probably forcing SS to plan on a smaller volume of these.

1. I'll go back to *MY* original argument which actually holds water - try making your own and then get back to me about how much it costs.

2. They can charge whatever they want for their products, just like every other manufacturer and retailer on the planet.

Oh look, you don't know.

As for your questions...

Ok. Im making my own Scarecrow 1/6th figure. The headsculpt was $5. Misc items totaled $10. Gloves were $5. Outfit is around $15. Body is $25. $60 for my figure.
Jawas would be harder to do. Two modded bodies at $50, hasbro Jawas for parts at $20, fabric and sewn robes at $30 and Im at $100 for them.

As for any retailer in the world charging whatever they want... to an extent. Price gouging is illegal.

What factory do you have make your custom action figure products? Maybe we can get that information to SSC and take a little commission - I'll split it with you.[/QUOTE]

I worked in the medical field and know how much money goes into r and d for medications, sometimes millions. Thats a big reasin why medications are so expensive when they first vome out so they requip their r and d miney.You are a tool if you think ssc spend millions on r and d for a 12" figure, or in this case 6" figure. Plus they are made in China, so prodyctiin cist are not high. Unless you think Skilled labor in China is paid well.

You really sound like an aragant ass with your comments. Another tough guy behind a key board lol.

Great point wwe jedi BTW.

Ok. Im making my own Scarecrow

You're not making anything. That's called kit-bashing.

As for any retailer in the world charging whatever they want... to an extent. Price gouging is illegal.

You need to find out what price gouging is before bringing it up in an argument. Maybe visit a lawyer and tell them you'd like to sue Sideshow for charging "too much" for their Jawas.

This pricing discussion, if it wasn't before, has now become a total joke.

I worked in the medical field and know how much money goes into r and d for medications,

You're lying. And I'll tell you why...

sometimes millions.

Maybe you confused the word "sometimes" with "always." But it also looks like you confused the word "millions" with "billions" so there's that. And yeah, I know multiple people still working in pharma, both on the sales and research sides - not that it adds anything to the argument, because a simple internet search will bring up countless examples of how much drugs cost to develop.

You are a tool

And you're looking to get your posting privileges suspended here. Try sending a PM to one of the mods directly to ask for that, they might miss your post if someone doesn't report it for you.

if you think they spend millions on r and d for a 12" figure, or in this case 6" figure. You really sound like an aragant ass with your comments. Another tough guy behind a key board lol.

Nope, just another guy involved with manufacturing partners since the 90's and who has made stuff on his own for longer than that, who knows that making stuff, anything, can be very expensive. And that at the end of the say, the beauty of making your own product is also setting your own price.

Last edited:
You're not making anything. That's called kit-bashing.

You need to find out what price gouging is before bringing it up in an argument. Maybe visit a lawyer and tell them you'd like to sue Sideshow for charging "too much" for their Jawas.

This pricing discussion, if it wasn't before, has now become a total joke.

Kit bashing... cool, dont care. Does not change anything.

You must not know what price gouging is if you think I accused SSC of doing it, unless the world needed 1/6 Jawas to survive and they jacked up the price to $500.

Oh look, you don't know.

As for your questions...

Ok. Im making my own Scarecrow 1/6th figure. The headsculpt was $5. Misc items totaled $10. Gloves were $5. Outfit is around $15. Body is $25. $60 for my figure.
Jawas would be harder to do. Two modded bodies at $50, hasbro Jawas for parts at $20, fabric and sewn robes at $30 and Im at $100 for them.

:goodpost:

Kit bashing... cool, dont care. Does not change anything.

It doesn't change anything? What pre-made parts did SSC bash to make these Jawas? Are they placing large volume orders from Toy Anxiety maybe?

You must not know what price gouging is if you think I accused SSC of doing it, unless the world needed 1/6 Jawas to survive and they jacked up the price to $500.

I know precisely what it is, which is why I thought it was strange that you brought it up. To make matters even funnier now you're taking it in the other direction. Look, don't buy the figures. Or do. No one cares.

When you have a Jawa for sale for under $100, let me know, I'll buy 4 of them. This comes from a guy who has enough parts here on hand to make (not kit-bash) 30 of them right now.

It doesn't change anything? What pre-made parts did SSC bash to make these Jawas? Are they placing large volume orders from Toy Anxiety maybe?

I know precisely what it is, which is why I thought it was strange that you brought it up. To make matters even funnier now you're taking it in the other direction. Look, don't buy the figures. Or do. No one cares.

When you have a Jawa for sale for under $100, let me know, I'll buy 4 of them. This comes from a guy who has enough parts here on hand to make (not kit-bash) 30 of them right now.

No it doesn't change anything. You told me to make a figure and get back to you, I did and for less than a reatiler. Now you are upset because I did just that.

Oh, now it seems you are implying that Im lying and did in fact accused SSC of price gouging. Hmmm.... not even close.

Oh wow, you "make" them. Did you make the fabric? Did you make the guns? Did you make the plastic for the sculpts? Did you make the plastic bags to ship them?

If not, thats called kit bashing. :wink1:

So you are making Jawa's for sale less than SSC?

I think Sideshow needs to be told when people are unhappy with the pricing. It's very important feedback for the future of their business.

As I've stated before, I feel that 1/6 scale secondary characters are no longer viable. At under $100 there was definitely a market for Greedo, Hammerhead, Bib Fortuna etc. At current prices there simply won't be the demand. Even main characters like X-wing Luke are a push. The only exception are background troopers like the AT-AT driver.

It will be a very interesting time for SS's Star Wars line, as HT's arrival seems to have pushed SS into background characters.

Some people are not happy with the price and others are OK with it. Just let people vent either way. Funny hts chewie cost only 40.00 more than jawas and I am sure the r and d and production cost are much higher on him than Jawas. I just do not see the value in the price for what ssc is charging. That's the big beef for me. I see value in price point for chewie, Jawas I do not at 219.99. If you do, then fine. Good number of collectors here do not. If es was low, then can see higher price because you need to make more per figure to turn a profit. Some of us understand that even if we have not been in manufacturing since the 90's like some people.

I think Sideshow needs to be told when people are unhappy with the pricing. It's very important feedback for the future of their business.

As I've stated before, I feel that 1/6 scale secondary characters are no longer viable. At under $100 there was definitely a market for Greedo, Hammerhead, Bib Fortuna etc. At current prices there simply won't be the demand. Even main characters like X-wing Luke are a push. The only exception are background troopers like the AT-AT driver.

It will be a very interesting time for SS's Star Wars line, as HT's arrival seems to have pushed SS into background characters.

Some people are not happy with the price and others are OK with it. Just let people vent either way. Funny hts chewie cost only 40.00 more than jawas and I am sure the r and d and production cost are much higher on him than Jawas. I just do not see the value in the price for what ssc is charging. That's the big beef for me. I see value in price point for chewie, Jawas I do not at 219.99. If you do, then fine. Good number of collectors here do not. If es was low, then can see higher price because you need to make more per figure to turn a profit. Some of us understand that even if we have not been in manufacturing since the 90's like some people.

:goodpost:

No it doesn't change anything. You told me to make a figure and get back to you, I did and for less than a reatiler. Now you are upset because I did just that.

Oh, now it seems you are implying that Im lying and did in fact accused SSC of price gouging. Hmmm.... not even close.

Oh wow, you "make" them. Did you make the fabric? Did you make the guns? Did you make the plastic for the sculpts? Did you make the plastic bags to ship them?

If not, thats called kit bashing. :wink1:

Nice rebutle my friend. :clap

Agreed. One massive issue is the death of the 'completist'. Back in the early days most collectors, myself included, were completists. I doubt there are many left.

As a result everyone is picking and choosing, which has introduced a great deal of competition. When you put 2 Jawas up against a HT Stormtrooper, there is only one winner IMO.

Agreed. One massive issue is the death of the 'completist'. Back in the early days most collectors, myself included, were completists. I doubt there are many left.

As a result everyone is picking and choosing, which has introduced a great deal of competition. When you put 2 Jawas up against a HT Stormtrooper, there is only one winner IMO.

I was a completist also. I started collecting in 2013 and of course late to the game. I was able to play catch up and get most ssc sw,DC, and marvel figures that I wanted. Good price and value even in secondary market. Some I got below and some a bit above retail. Now you have to pick and choose because of high prices. The trend is not going in the buyers favor at this point. So much coming out and at high prices between 1/6 figures and statues. Getting a figure from ace toys at 140.00 seems a real bargain today.

I asked you to make a figure from scratch. Nothing on SSC's Jawas can be picked up anywhere else.

No, that's the point. I'm not likely to sell anything. These items I mentioned are/were part of a project I was working on last year and you'd have been lucky to get one for $250 with some assembly work to do yourself, or $350-400 complete and weathered.

And yeah, I made all the parts you think I didn't.

If someone wants to call me a name, they should just call me a fly or zookeeper, because I'm clearly attracted to other people's bull****.

I asked you to make a figure from scratch. Nothing on SSC's Jawas can be picked up anywhere else.

No, that's the point. I'm not likely to sell anything. These items I mentioned are/were part of a project I was working on last year and you'd have been lucky to get one for $250 with some assembly work to do yourself, or $350-400 complete and weathered.

And yeah, I made all the parts you think I didn't.

If someone wants to call me a name, they should just call me a fly or zookeeper, because I'm clearly attracted to other people's bull****.

Can I see one?

It probably helped when the production size on some of these figures were publicized. If 2,000 of these sets are being produced compared with 10,000 Captain America's or compared with a figure like the Spacetrooper where they're mainly just re-using parts, the value might become a little more obvious. These are only being offered on SS's site which indicates that the production numbers are probably low and selling it wholesale isn't very feasible. There's lots of competition for the $$ of Star Wars collectors right now, which doesn't help.

Along the same lines it's obviously a much better value to see a blockbuster that cost $300 million to make for $12 at your local theatre, than to see a small independent flick that only cost $6 million and is still going to set you back the same $12. They know they'll sell an assload more blockbuster tickets and make money. Doesn't make either venture necessarily better or worse--to each his own, etc. Don't want that Mandarin on my shelf, but I wouldn't mind these guys. That said, I'll hold off and see what else is getting released.

Yup, and I totally understand that.

But I still made sure I gave a nice variety of different figures, both of simple rehashes (Cap, the Stormtroopers) to all new constructions (Returns Batman, Jango, Hawkeye) to compare to these Jawas for around the same price or even less. I personally don't see the value in the Jawas, but that doesn't mean someone else out there doesn't. I sincerely hope they enjoy these little guys (and get a final product that looks as good or better than those prototypes). I feel the same way about their Pilot Luke. He looks wonderful, perhaps one of their best, but the price is just too exorbitant in my opinion, especially when you look at that all new Farmboy Luke. Like I said before. I think the Jawas look awesome, they really captured the feel these creatures had in the film.

It's just when I see this,

image.jpg

Parred with knowing what I know from the 400 or so 1:6 doll releases I've witnessed since I started collecting high end 9 years ago. It feels like a rip.

Perhaps rip is too strong because it implies the customer being "had", which isn't true since we all have the option to simply not buy. So instead of rip, maybe I'll just say it feels "off". I don't know or claim to know what Sideshow's production run for these are, what factory they're utilizing, who or what is manufacturing those bodies and clothes or what their profit margin is. I have no clue. I'm just saying that for me, personally, I don't see the value in them despite how awesome they look. Don't get me wrong, I've felt the SAME way with things I actually bought (I thought the $300 price tag on the Hot Toys Robocop was ridiculous, but I still bought it, albeit with discount codes, because I wanted it). I'm sure people feel the same way about these two. Again, I think they look awesome and I respect Sideshow, I just don't think $220 plus shipping for the above looks or feels very good. If something as small as these are that costly and complex where they can't even include a simple stand, then I question if these 1/6 collectibles are even a viable option from a business perspective for these companies to produce in the first place.

I also don't see the point in getting disgruntled against Sideshow or fellow collectors or even being upset. I think the price sucks, I posted my thoughts and that's that. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive here, but I do believe that, just because some people don't agree with the price (like myself) that shouldn't mean Sideshow shouldn't ask that price or not have a fan base of collectors/buyers who are excited and willing to pay it. That's not right. I'm positive that Sideshow looks at all their options and has graphs for all this stuff. If they feel they can sell these at $220, so be it. It's their product, have at it. Again, respect.

Last edited:
Back