Sideshow 1/6 Jawa Figure Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that. I think this is the real point everyone seems to be forgetting.

Look at the average yearly wage for China: Y51,000. You know how much that is in US dollars? $415. The difference in cost of living in the US is roughly 123 times the amount it is in China.

So consider the US sculptor, the painter, the tailor, the designer, and the art director for the Jawa figure all have to be paid. Say, for the sake of argument, that they are each paid a one time fee of $100 US dollars for their services (it's most assuredly more than that). That's already $500. That's already more than the average yearly wage in China. You would only have to pay the Chinese sculptor, painter, tailor, designer, and art director for the Jawa figure only about 81¢ each vs the US equivalent $100 each for the same job, only $4.00 vs $500 for the whole project.

When you take that into account, you have to wonder how Sideshow isn't MORE expensive! (Or you have to wonder how much profit HT is making!)

But the average wage in the U.S. has decreased between 2005 and 2015. So in theory it costs less to sculpt, paint, art direct etc a figure in 2015 than it did in 2005. The only thing that has increased in that time is the Chinese manufacturing costs, and while that has more than tripled, in US dollars it amounts to sort of nothing - as you point out.

So... if US wages have gone backwards and the US dollar amount of Chinese manufacturing cost increases doesn't add to much... then why have the products more than quadrupled in price?:dunno

TaliBane, why does it matter to you? If you think it's completely unjustifible, then why not stop buying and leave us ignorant masses out of your crusade. Personally I feel the prices are fine, even if I can't afford it. :lol

If you don't have it in you to join my crusade, I'm prepared to buy an extra set to make up for your lack of steel.

If you don't have it in you to join my crusade, I'm prepared to buy an extra set to make up for your lack of steel.

I am also concerned about what the jawas will look like unlit. However I don't see myself passing up the opportunity to display a couple jawas next to r5, r2, and 3po.

But the average wage in the U.S. has decreased between 2005 and 2015. So in theory it costs less to sculpt, paint, art direct etc a figure in 2015 than it did in 2005. The only thing that has increased in that time is the Chinese manufacturing costs, and while that has more than tripled, in US dollars it amounts to sort of nothing - as you point out.

So... if US wages have gone backwards and the US dollar amount of Chinese manufacturing cost increases doesn't add to much... then why have the products more than quadrupled in price?:dunno

zwhBRbO.gif

Bringin your A game to debate class. :hi5: :clap :lol

Wow. I usually agree with you, but what a rude, ignorant statement.

If it was not for customers SSC would not exist. If we did not buy anything SSC would be out of business. Look at SSC Green Lantern. Think they will be selling many of those? No? They had to have a employee log on here to defend it because the outcry was so bad, read through that thread, SSC likes to justify themselves and there products (rightfully so).

Tell me this Sol, last year Spooks SSC sold MoS Superman for $125.99 with $28 dollars back in reward points. I got that figure for $97 with shipping.

and they still make money.... both SSC and Hot Toys

No, Sideshow got it out of their warehouse. HT made money because SSC paid more than you for that figure.

The economics of these things have changed drastically in the time I've been collecting and even in the last year. For those that have no idea what kind of costs are involved in production, distribution and licensing of these types of collectibles to comment that a price is unsupportable is just ignoring reason and going with what you yourself WISH were true. But no amount of wishing will change the hard economic realities.

Fallacious assumptions. Because an "average" anything is different doesn't apply to every level. The 1/6 market has exploded and development costs have also increased. Manufacturing costs have increased even more.

No, Sideshow got it out of their warehouse. HT made money because SSC paid more than you for that figure.

The economics of these things have changed drastically in the time I've been collecting and even in the last year. For those that have no idea what kind of costs are involved in production, distribution and licensing of these types of collectibles to comment that a price is unsupportable is just ignoring reason and going with what you yourself WISH were true. But no amount of wishing will change the hard economic realities.

Fallacious assumptions. Because an "average" anything is different doesn't apply to every level. The 1/6 market has exploded and development costs have also increased. Manufacturing costs have increased even more.

:lol

Dave has the ruler out and he's spanking nuckles. :clap

Good. I'm so sick of all the economists we have on the board these days. Kids that likely don't even have a job and still live at home.

But the average wage in the U.S. has decreased between 2005 and 2015.

If you think top talent is working at average wages or responsible for a decrease in the average... well... I assure you neither is the case. Not that it has much to do with the overall increase in the price of individual figures. Art direction and original design work on a single product is pretty easy to amortize (when compared to other investments like tooling), especially if the people involve are salaried employees. :) Aside from that, I've left a message with someone in Alan Greenspan's office. You'd think he'd be easier to get a hold of, but he wasn't able to take my call this afternoon.

Why would SSC lose money on multiple figures? It makes no sense. Sure to clear some warehouse space, but how do they know those new figures being brought in are going to sell? So take off the RPs on MoS and its $125.... and they lose money. So they must make less than $50 per figure???

I just hope the Ewoks aren't $400 when they eventually get their day in the sun. That'd really put a damper on my yub nub.

N
:lol

Dave has the ruler out and he's spanking nuckles. :clap

Good. I'm so sick of all the economists we have on the board these days. Kids that likely don't even have a job and still live at home.

And are already in debt and have no financial plan other than complaining about sideshow dolly costs. "If I cry on the internet enough maybe they will make them 15 dollars a piece."

N

And are already in debt and have no financial plan other than complaining about sideshow dolly costs. "If I cry on the internet enough maybe they will make them 15 dollars a piece."

Quite the contrary. 20, live at home, go to college. Zero debt, money in stocks, and have a trust fund.

Back