Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I think some people have very unrealistic expectations in regards to pricing or want modern SSC quality at old Hasbro prices. Prior to this release, your only option if you just had to have a probe droid would be to go some place like the RPF and commission one for ~$500 - $1000 (supposing there were even any for offer).

Sideshow's luckily big enough that they can have I'm guessing a 3000 - 5000 unit run and make it affordable for the average fan. Really of any figure to be up-in-arms about pricing, I can't see why this would be the straw breaking the camel's back. Deluxe Vader is bloated with an unnecessary light-up base, decorative helmet w/additional light-up base, non-Sebastian Shaw headsculpt and riddled with inaccuracies to boot, and few people seem to mind. This is in comparison a bargain, IMO.

Although I feel that the price is OK. I feel differently than you on two of the points that you made.

1) I will be surprised at 1,000 of these being made...I'll be shocked at over 1500.

2) 250.00 seems higher than affordability for the average collector, to me. But I only base that on the incessant complaining that hear about prices from members of these boards, at events such as Comic-Con, and at places where collectors gather frequently such as Frank-n-Sons Collectible Show.

I do hope that I am wrong on both counts.

Although I feel that the price is OK. I feel differently than you on two of the points that you made.

1) I will be surprised at 1,000 of these being made...I'll be shocked at over 1500.
It's possible I'm over-estimating the appeal for SW and sci-fi fans and thinking about it, you're probably right. But the lower the run the more justified the price is in relation to Sideshow's investment. It'll be interesting to see what the edition is eventually set at.

2) 250.00 seems higher than affordability for the average collector, to me. But I only base that on the incessant complaining that hear about prices from members of these boards, at events such as Comic-Con, and at places where collectors gather frequently such as Frank-n-Sons Collectible Show.

I do hope that I am wrong on both counts.
I guess what I find odd about the shock at the price is the fact that $250.00 is routine, now, and for figures that have multiple iterations, bigger runs and more opportunities for the producer to recoup their investment (thinking particularly of Iron Man, in this regard, but it's also true of the HT Terminator DXes and RoboCop clean and BD versions each @ $300.00+). But even if we just look at Star Wars, IG-88 from two years ago was $175.00, Darth Vader and Grievous both $250.00, a Dewback polystone statue $300.00, Tamashii 3PO $400.00 (if bought from SSC), etc... I don't see how this figure is out of line with any of that pricing or why anyone wouldn't have been expecting it, assuming they keep up with the releases.

Why would someone drop 250 on an item so insignificant with close to zero screen time as this droid is beyond me. Next thing sideshow will produce some door panel or a crate for 300.
But - To each their own.

Why would someone drop 250 on an item so insignificant with close to zero screen time as this droid is beyond me. Next thing sideshow will produce some door panel or a crate for 300.
But - To each their own.

I wouldn't say insignificant. We are talking about a probe droid that led the Empire to the Rebels on Hoth. With that said, there isn't one person that hasn't mocked that droids sounds. I for one, am very excited to add this to my collection.

Looks great to me...as for the price, well...I was expecting it to come. in around $300 or so, considering the upward trend of just about everything figure-wise, regardless of the scale... so $250 doesn't seem too much...

It's a cool-looking piece... iiconic, well-rendered. One thing that's apparent over the last few years is that droids and hardware seem to get that "extra" little bit from the Sideshow team, from the engineering to the final details.. past efforts like IG-88, the battle droids, the STAP and especially the forthcoming Grîevous... all look great and are solid, versatile display pieces.

I'm looking forward to seeing a complete gallery of pictures on Thursday... and PO'ing this classic SW hardware....

No exclusive. I'd try and buy from Urban Samurai or Toy Square before they sell through their allotment from Sideshow.

The Probot is so cool in its design that it could belong to almost any sci-fi movie, not just Star Wars. Any time I see it I recall strange sounds it made and its dark spidery look the first time I watched ESB loooong ago. It is a minor character, but so iconic. And ILM considered it important since they made a studio scale prop and a 1:1 one.

The Probot is so cool in its design that it could belong to almost any sci-fi movie, not just Star Wars. Any time I see it I recall strange sounds it made and its dark spidery look the first time I watched ESB loooong ago. It is a minor character, but so iconic. And ILM considered it important since they made a studio scale prop and a 1:1 one.

agreed! :hi5:

Back