Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$250 is reasonable as long as it's quality, nice stand alone piece in the detolf with rewards $150ish, edit just saw the pics awesome, gonna look sweet under lights. Does anybody know dimensions? You know as far as star wars I could sell everything I have so far and base my collection on ESB an be happy

Last edited:
I mean, I'm ordering this, I just know this will get expensive...

Probe: 250
Tauntaun: 350
Han: 175
Luke: 175...

A grand after tax and shipping....
Yep, it's very sobering, especially in relation to what a grand buys outside of this crazy hobby. Hoping there is at least a 3+ month gap between this and the Han/Luke/Tauntaun pre-order (since it only makes sense that all 3 will be released simultaneously). Have to really think, too, if I've got the space to display those figs properly... I may have to reluctantly not order. To be honest, if the only things Hoth I have are the Probe Droid, a couple Snowtroopers and an E-Web, I'll still be very happy.

The probe droid will be another Sideshow Peg Warmer. No doubts this will be available for a very very long time to come, unless the edition size is ridiculously small - which isn't likely or they'd never make back their investment in tooling costs.

The big issue at play here is that this is such a niche hobby and then this such a niche product. If Sideshow were to sell it at $100 or less, they'd increase unit sales substantially, but maybe not significantly enough to overcome the loss of margin and therefore still be left unable to amortize the tooling and development costs in a reasonable time frame. And to be sure, there are large costs involved here - many plastic parts which each require unique molds that will not get reuse for any other products. It's a very tricky game to play, but something most fans don't take into consideration when they say that Sideshow are simply pricing themselves out of the market or may be trying to rip people off, etc...

Last edited:
I think $250 isn't bad but hopefully no deposit. That would be ridiculous but in the end it's a definite order for me. Too awesome.

I love this design, I think Moebius had a hand in the development of the Probe Droid, right? I gotta get this thing.

I mean, I'm ordering this, I just know this will get expensive...

Probe: 250
Tauntaun: 350
Han: 175
Luke: 175...

A grand after tax and shipping....

Looking at the Vader 'Deluxe' I can understand Probe's pricing (not saying its reasonable, just that I get it).
I do think you are optimistic for your Han and Luke prices though. Having recent SS 1/6 prices in mind and I think they will not be released before 2014, $199,99 will be the price IMO.

$250 is a little steep, but not wholly unexpected. I'm committed to Han and the tauntaun, with this one right on the bubble. I may wait to see how much Han and the tauntaun comes in at before I preorder this one. It seems like the usual thing for Sideshow nowadays is to have a decent amount of product in stock for a while once the item comes in, so hopefully I'll have the luxury to wait and see.

Love the new photos!

Geez. $200 sure, but $250... might have to kid myself into thinking it doesn't cost that much by flex-paying it.

Looks sick :). Being a studio scale/prop SW collector this thing is great. Price is actually very good if you look at it in filming maquette terms. Heck the efX TIE Fighter was $1000 and it just sits there, and I don't regret that purchase one bit. It's all perspective. It will look amazing next to my MR snow speeder.

Yep, I think some people have very unrealistic expectations in regards to pricing or want modern SSC quality at old Hasbro prices. Prior to this release, your only option if you just had to have a probe droid would be to go some place like the RPF and commission one for ~$500 - $1000 (supposing there were even any for offer).

Sideshow's luckily big enough that they can have I'm guessing a 3000 - 5000 unit run and make it affordable for the average fan. Really of any figure to be up-in-arms about pricing, I can't see why this would be the straw breaking the camel's back. Deluxe Vader is bloated with an unnecessary light-up base, decorative helmet w/additional light-up base, non-Sebastian Shaw headsculpt and riddled with inaccuracies to boot, and few people seem to mind. This is in comparison a bargain, IMO.

Back