Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had much luck with gluing tiny bits of plastic (never holds, breaks at slightest touch). Glad it's not my problem. I'm down to IG-88, the E-Webb and Probe Droid as my last Sideshow pieces and that's likely where it'll stay. This has got to be maybe their most expensive debacle yet.

For anyone still planning on taking some pics. Can the legs come together at the ankles while the legs are straight like this? Maybe with the hips rotated inward?
3PO-c-3po-23758941-503-768.jpg

Or this? :p
c3po-suit.jpg

3PO looks so much better sitting next to R2

tumblr_n03qlg5eyC1sihlkjo1_500.jpg

I'd like to see a close-up pic of the hand if anyone's able to post one. I'm assuming that disconnecting the thumb and re-gluing it would be an acceptable (though irreversible) way of addressing the whacky angle. I don't have my Tamashii nearby, but I seem to remember that every switch-out hand was almost identical as to have been hardly worth the effort in making them - so sacrificing the thumb movement on this SS version wouldn't impact too much on how he's displayed/posed.

I'm still staring at it...I think it's frickin' awesome....

A lot of us have been collecting these things for years...and the two "grail" characters that always generated a lot of fun chatter and hopeful speculation over the years were Chewbacca (who was finally so wondrously rendered last year by HT) and Threepio. And at long last, Sideshow has brought us a Goldenrod to be proud of.

I know many folks were thrilled with that very high-end die cast Tamashi version...and the pictures make it look real nice, but it still looks almost "too" perfect in all those shots to me. This Sideshow version has an amazing finish...strikes that cool balance of shiny and reflective but not too mirror-like. It just looks great. And those weathering details work just fine when not being viewed through he macro lens of a camera.

He stands well (a little slippery with those feet on the stand though) - I wish Sideshow had sprung for some "finsh" on the stand like they did with Red Five (the hanger deck flooring)...would've been neat to have a piece of Tantive IV flooring or a Death Star floor panel or something....but that's a quibble that doesn't take away from the figure.

The big mitts don't bother me either...again, that's something that seems to jump out more through the camera than right in front of me...so I just need to work with them finding the best articulated pose for them.

My only little nit so far isn't the figure...it's the box. This is one highy detailed,fragile figure with some easily damaged parts....I wish Sideshow had given the droid a little more substantial packaging here...maybe not quite as overboard as Grievous came with, but something more than this thin-walled box inside a VERY thin brown box with NO other support (remember those hard foam box ends?) or at the very least pieces of cardboard over the box ends). My box came smashed on one side and it's just luck that I didn't have any damage to the figure.

So yes, I'm very pleased here...worth the wait. Gonna have a blast snapping shots of this one and coming in here seeing what others come up with picture-wise.

Thanks Sideshow for making this protocol droid worth the wait!

Never had much luck with gluing tiny bits of plastic (never holds, breaks at slightest touch). Glad it's not my problem. I'm down to IG-88, the E-Webb and Probe Droid as my last Sideshow pieces and that's likely where it'll stay. This has got to be maybe their most expensive debacle yet.

Yup - have to (sadly) agree; SSC QC has totally gone out the window lately. I've got this sucker on order, but like so many things lately - a bit of custom work will be in order before I'm happy :(

I'm still staring at it...I think it's frickin' awesome....

A lot of us have been collecting these things for years...and the two "grail" characters that always generated a lot of fun chatter and hopeful speculation over the years were Chewbacca (who was finally so wondrously rendered last year by HT) and Threepio. And at long last, Sideshow has brought us a Goldenrod to be proud of.

I know many folks were thrilled with that very high-end die cast Tamashi version...and the pictures make it look real nice, but it still looks almost "too" perfect in all those shots to me. This Sideshow version has an amazing finish...strikes that cool balance of shiny and reflective but not too mirror-like. It just looks great. And those weathering details work just fine when not being viewed through he macro lens of a camera.

He stands well (a little slippery with those feet on the stand though) - I wish Sideshow had sprung for some "finsh" on the stand like they did with Red Five (the hanger deck flooring)...would've been neat to have a piece of Tantive IV flooring or a Death Star floor panel or something....but that's a quibble that doesn't take away from the figure.

The big mitts don't bother me either...again, that's something that seems to jump out more through the camera than right in front of me...so I just need to work with them finding the best articulated pose for them.

My only little nit so far isn't the figure...it's the box. This is one highy detailed,fragile figure with some easily damaged parts....I wish Sideshow had given the droid a little more substantial packaging here...maybe not quite as overboard as Grievous came with, but something more than this thin-walled box inside a VERY thin brown box with NO other support (remember those hard foam box ends?) or at the very least pieces of cardboard over the box ends). My box came smashed on one side and it's just luck that I didn't have any damage to the figure.

So yes, I'm very pleased here...worth the wait. Gonna have a blast snapping shots of this one and coming in here seeing what others come up with picture-wise.

Thanks Sideshow for making this protocol droid worth the wait!

Looks like he's about to jump on his Harley!

I dont get it. Youtuber toys210 had eagle eyes and pointed out that my Threepio seemed to have a pin hole on the right side of the chest near the oil stain (where the restraining bolt connects via magnets). I looked at the latest Sideshow photos and you can clearly see the hole there, so it must be by design. By why would they do that if the restraining bolt is magnetic with no plug to fit into the little hole?!?!

Couple snaps.......

Man it is tough with the tamashi, the pistons are huge side by side with the SS version now, but the hands are so rediculous on the sideshow both the size and the derpy thumb highlight how both are really off. I do love having a clean and a dirty 3po. The bad thing is handling the SS with the die cast heft of the tamashi. The SS 3po towers over the tamashi which probably helps the tamashi scale with R2 better since SS r2 is underscaled. The sideshow piece doesn't feel as well executed with the wires and the flashing imperfections and paint runs on mine. The weathering does look like chocolate sauce. :lol

Glad to have ANH 3po, it has some very glaring issues. I await my HT overlords version to hopefully bring it all together in a later offering.

So, I studied the thumbs and I think my approach will be to cut the thumbs off with a blade.

I intend to leave as much of the "root" as possible so I can bore a tiny hole for a post for re-attachment. I'll need to get a very fine drill bit from a craft store.

Looking forward to seeing your mod, Kamandi. Those dang thumbs are about the only thing keeping me from loving this.

I dont get it. Youtuber toys210 had eagle eyes and pointed out that my Threepio seemed to have a pin hole on the right side of the chest near the oil stain (where the restraining bolt connects via magnets). I looked at the latest Sideshow photos and you can clearly see the hole there, so it must be by design. By why would they do that if the restraining bolt is magnetic with no plug to fit into the little hole?!?

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that until now either since it's hidden fairly well by the weathering. Maybe it's meant to be a visual cue for where the restraining bolt is meant to be positioned? I haven't tried the restraining bolt on mine yet.

Nice to see some positive comments here! Issues aside, I think it's a beautiful looking figure (which for me, puts the Sideshow R2 to shame) that's unfortunately getting buried under a lot of negativity. While that diecast one looks very nice too, it's too pristine for me. I want 3PO to look more like he does throughout the films, but I can see the appeal of having a clean version and a worn version for those wanting to own multiple versions. Just a shame Sideshow's is let down by QC issues, the elbow articulation and the thumbs.

As jedibear said, 3PO and Chewie were the two major remaining gaps in the Sideshow collection. Guess I'll be forever waiting to get a Chewie, I'm assuming Sideshow have now abandoned the idea of doing their own, but it's still good to have 3PO at last.

Opened mine this morning, thankfully nothing is broken. Inner pistons are very tight and seem to snag at the start of the channels.
will try to free them up by trying different poses.He has a couple of small rubs on his butt, i think the clamshell was the wrong choice here.
Grevious diecut foam would have been the better option, the two halves of the clamshell put alot of strain on those delicate pistons and i had a real fear of breaking them, getting them apart.
Lights are awesome, to get the head off, i just gripped it slightly below the ears and jiggled till i felt it release. Then it was easy to pull straight up.
The thumbs are'nt super bad on mine, but they should be facing the way everyone suggests.
Pretty damn happy overall! Will upload some pics tonight20160119_185546.jpg20160119_185419.jpg20160119_185223.jpg20160119_185334.jpg

Last edited:
As jedibear said, 3PO and Chewie were the two major remaining gaps in the Sideshow collection. Guess I'll be forever waiting to get a Chewie, I'm assuming Sideshow have now abandoned the idea of doing their own, but it's still good to have 3PO at last.

Why would you wait for Sideshow to make a Chewbacca when the Hot Toys version is out now? That was pretty much my favourite figure of 2015. They designed that so well.

Back