Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great photo, Hokietwo - and doubly so, because it indicates that the SSC C-3PO can achieve a natural standing look with the feet together and the arms at rest (as TonTon was wondering further back in the thread). That's the definitive ANH look, I'd argue.

As I wait for UPS, been having a look at what makes the SSC headsculpt seem a little off - people have mentioned it has a slight Clone Wars 3PO look about it, slightly cartoony. I think from the nose up it looks great, but below the nose, you can see the proportions of the mouth and the jaw/chin are just slightly off. The SSC pupils are a tad too small, which may affect likeness, but not much, and the SSC jaw "wheels" might be too small, but again, not that noticeable.

Interesting that it can be off by so little, yet it alters the overall look of the head - the reason companies have struggled for years to get an accurate 3PO headsculpt (the Medi 3PO had more pronounced headsculpt issues.) The first SSC pic I chose because it's taken with a somewhat longer lens, so less close-up distortion - the second SSC pic is a bit distorted by the lens.

demtlt.png

kafywm.png

Forgive my enthusiasm for pulling the figure out of the box at work and snapping a quick couple of shots. I should have waited until I had the figure in the perfect pre-approved pose before attempting to take and post any photos of it.

If you want to post some pics and show us how it's done, please, be my guest.

Was a joke... :(

Was a joke... :(

I think most people understand that.

There was nothing wrong with him sharing the picture he did as he, like many of us, are excited to share in his experience with the figure. I don't think you at all intended to say he couldn't or shouldn't post a picture in the pose he had him in. I'm sure you are more than fine that he posted a picture like you are when anyone posts.

There was also nothing wrong with saying in tongue in cheek way that 3Po looked like he was ready to jump on a motorcycle in the picture. Saying this isn't insulting to neither the figure or the one own who set him or took the picture. Nor did you say that there should be a requirement for a "perfect poses" before sharing pictures. The pose just struck you funny and you shared why it did. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm not sure why it was taken as such a big deal.

Arrived today:

looks great!!! I just feel bad because that mean ol' Sandperson won't give 3PO's arm back.

On a side note I would love to see more pictures of 3PO and R2 on the SS hexagon bases together. I'm trying to figure out if I want to pick one up for my R2, but I am wondering how close they can be placed together in a way that both droids look good together on them and how many options there are for placement. It seems like it may not be a friendly shape to try to put two stands together side by side.

Ah, ok, should edit that to almost zero chance. But it'd be good if we got one.
Think HT shared (or someone close to them did) that they paid high six figures for the license. Don't think there's anything that's off the table, character wise (and I certainly can't see them not doing iconic army builders like Tuskens). People saying that HT will abandon the OT now that the sequels and spin-offs are coming out... :slap If it were your license, would you leave hundreds of thousands (conservatively... probably millions at end of the day) of OT dollars on the table? Hell no!

Just wait for that ESB onslaught, Lejuan! I know what you mean, though. After being exhausted with the pace of pre-orders and releases, last year, I find myself antsy for something new.

Just wait for that ESB onslaught, Lejuan! I know what you mean, though. After being exhausted with the pace of pre-orders and releases, last year, I find myself antsy for something new.

I'm not into multiple iterations of characters, I'm using the ANH characters as definitive (so no Jedi Luke, Bespin Han etc). It's a relief actually, as this line alone has added up to quite a bit since our dollar tanked against the greenback. That's what I say now anyway :)

Man, bummer to hear about so many figures arriving broken. Mine had the pinky finger snapped off, but the rest of him was fine. I'm really hoping Sideshow will just send a replacement arm so I don't have to risk having other pieces arrive broken :lol

The thumbs are really the only thing on a non-damaged figure that bug me. On the shelf it's not as noticeable as it all just blends together, but up close you'd swear he had 5 fingers and no thumb or that the right and left hands were swapped. I appreciate the effort of designing hands with articulated fingers, but 9 times out of 10 I'd prefer a set of sculpted hands I can swap out as the articulated ones never look as nice... and in this case look godawful :lol

Anyone do this shot yet with Vader? My favorite picture of Vader ever.

DarthVaderandC-3PO.png

What the ****?!? :lol :huh

Whoa. Now I don't know what to think. I was convinced earlier that the Tama was better via photos, but you've made a pretty compelling argument the other way. SSC does look better to me in your comparisons in terms of feel and accuracy -- speaking without having compared to screen caps.

I guess it really is just a matter of taste in the end. Nice review.

Yeah, QC issues aside I really do like how the Sideshow figure looks... and at much less than the Tama it seems like a solid option.

Just opened mine. No breakage but there's a pretty good little gouge on the right thigh so he'll be going back. Overall he's nice.

The weathering is just fine in on display but those hands...particularly the thumbs, sheesh. If SS hand made that a ball joint then there'd be no problem.

View attachment 237645

Sweet stand :rock :rock

The Tamashii version I guess needed thicker pistons because they actually worked like pistons. But by all accounts, the Sideshow version does not have telescoping pistons - they just slide in their tracks on the arm. So that should work OK with thinner pistons if the supports on the arms are strong enough. Looks like they're not in some cases and break off.......

The piston connection points seem to be the figures Achilles' heel; visually it looks as good as I think you could hope for, but being made out of plastic it's so thin that any undo pressure would likely snap it. I was able to pose the arms w/o any issue on mine, but I could see a lot of these being damaged during shipping.

Yeah I thought it was brown outside and then when Chewie throws him the jacket I think they switched it to blue. There are cut scenes after that which maybe also have it as blue. Here's the shot from the dictionary.

c98d62ff5f3ac790d3eb85cc78c6c693.jpg

I'm fairly convinced they swapped to a Blue jacket for the scene where Chewie hands it to him :lol

This issue is why I have a hands-off policy on this release. I can see why the community will be up in arms over it.

Oh my :lol

Sideshow REALLY needs a full time QC in China.

Agreed... while I think the pistons are more of a packaging issue those thumbs should not have happened.

I wish I'd thought to mention the "corrected" photos during my phone call.

That dog won't hunt... I tried asking the Sideshow rep about what bodysuit the DX vader would come with because at the time the order page had pictures with both the quilted and better looking ANH suit and the shiny pressed suit we ultimately got. I emailed pictures clearnly showing the different materials and from the images on the order page but they were either unable to see the differences or unwilling to acknowledge it. Either way I never got an answer as to what would actually ship with the figure and as well a know we got the crappier looking bodysuit :lol

I'm sorry but when are ya'll gonna learn to steer clear from SS? how many times are we going to go through this? i really think its time all the complaints get "i told you so" as responses. SS is bush league, yet you keep buying this nonsense. so really, who is to blame?

It's true, but since they are the only game in town on some of these figures for the foreseeable future what's a collector to do :huh

And how does a finger break? Did you snap it off trying to bend it?

Mine arrived that way... I could hear a rattling in the box when I picked it up off my porch. I figured it was a piston, but nope the pinky had just snapped off at some point :huh I've had a really bad run lately with crushed TFA trooper box, non-talking Vader, Broken Mark III arm and now C-3PO's pinky. I've had to return/exchange 4 of the last 5 figures I've received :huh :lol

looks great!!! I just feel bad because that mean ol' Sandperson won't give 3PO's arm back.

On a side note I would love to see more pictures of 3PO and R2 on the SS hexagon bases together. I'm trying to figure out if I want to pick one up for my R2, but I am wondering how close they can be placed together in a way that both droids look good together on them and how many options there are for placement. It seems like it may not be a friendly shape to try to put two stands together side by side.

So I take it no one's tried to remove the weathering yet, like a lot of people did with R2 early on? I suppose I can see how there might be a greater risk this time because of the gold paint, and the fact the weathering appears to be applied a lot heavier than it was on R2. Unfortunately those dark brown drips and marks don't look like they'd be nearly as easy to lift off...

At least one person has so far... just used rubbing alchol and a Q-Tip. I plan on doing the same, but need to wait to hear back from Sideshow on whether or not I need to send back the whole figure or just the arm.

Just got my C-3PO...and everything seems perfect!

No broken pistons.

No circles on his bum (!)

No wacky weathering.

No flashing as such on the knees, but on the outer edge of the knee joint on each leg there is a tiny section of missing plastic. I've seen this in several people's photos, so it must be a normal result of the production process.

Thumbs don't look too bad. At least not on the right arm, which is the only one I'm displaying on the figure.

Which leads me to the Exclusive arm. The shoulder piece was either poorly designed, or the stump poorly painted.

The 'key' to match the stump means that the shoulder is placed further away from the body than the intact arm. That's actually correct for the scene:

However, the gap shouldn't show a gold section, but coloured wires.

It is possible to hide the gold section by placing the shoulder piece beyond the key, meaning that it's raised slightly compared to the right arm.

Taking the Tamashii out to photograph alongside the Sideshow I'd forgotten just how heavy the former was!

Apart from the design of the Exclusive shoulder, and to a minor part the design of the thumbs, if I had a complaint about the Sideshow it would be that it's too tall. Just over 12" makes him a six-footer.

24483671495_171f39cdc1_o.jpg

24188126130_5e74d6e937_o.jpg

Basically the same approach that worked with R2 should work here. Speaking of which I really need to de-weather R2 :lol

Anyone heard back regarding damaged pistons?
I contacted them 8am friday before they opened,no reply so far.

Back