Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be cool. Sideshow doesn't seem to do environment pieces very often anymore though and it would have made more sense to do when they released their Obi-Wan.

so basically, i cant pose this together with r2d2 because the base is only good for one figure.. since r2d2 didnt have its own base, i was hoping i can pose them together using c3po's base.

First time I saw this picture. And this picture shows Sideshow R2-D2 and C-3PO are in the right scale and proportion.
I always thought R2's dome is inline with threepios' bottom part of the chest armor.

That's not a movie set picture.

Threepio's too. :wink1:

I've been quietly checking this thread out, but zero desire to buy SSC's fussy British butler doppleganger.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the welcome Darth Snoopy and Arycon. Much appreciated! Seems like a great community. :)

A pair of interlocking themed bases would have been perfect here. Seems that many are planning to display these without bases, but it's still frustrating not to have a neat way of displaying them on their own. Great image there Arycon (and thanks for confirming that the R2 is indeed without base), that's how I'd like to arrange the pair as well, and like you said 3PO hopefully won't need any extra support.

I still want a decent base to put them on though. I'll hunt around a bit and see if I can find anything generic that might work. I guess worst case is just to borrow a base from one of the other figures for the time-being. I'm assuming R2 fits on one of those plain black bases Sideshow are using lately and isn't too wide but I haven't checked.

I agree that some kind of environment piece could be nice for these two. Just that for a ~$600 AUD pair of figures, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a half-decent display base to be included. Sideshow seem very inconsistent - R2 included just about everything imaginable except a base while 3PO comes with a single generic base and almost nothing else.

Those bases would still look fine even with the foot prints. For me the bigger issue would be that there would be the opening where the plaque would go for 3PO (I'm thinking for R2 the stand could be turned around with his foot covering the hole for the crotch grabber). One could always get a custom made R2 and 3PO plaque. Seems like the metal part can be pealed off the plaque holder.

I remove all the name plates for the stands. I know their names, and I feel like it takes away from the "caught in the wild" poses I like to do :)

Some people noticed and they are right: the photo I posted is reversed. I didnt notice until after I posted the photo.

As for the base...Im going to make one. This will be such an easy base to make from scratch. All you need is a flat piece of wood cut to desired shape with a jigsaw. You could rout the edges (if you have one) to make the base a little more professional looking. Stain the base an espresso color and then laquer it if so desired. Score the top some and use a light overlay of plaster on the top to build up an uneven surface, with small mounds, wind lines and foot indents for the droids. Let it dry and in small sections, cover it with a light layer of glue. Sprinkle on some run of the mill train terrain sand found at any hobby store. They sell different colors and grain sizes to add variation.

Simple, but it will look very professional once finished and will make a great display piece. It is even possible to cut a slot out with a dremel for a figure holding mount included with most stands. Can paint it tan to blend better if preferred. That would allow 3PO to stand more reliably. This is what I plan to do. I could make a thread in the diorama section if enough people want to try it themselves.

I remove all the name plates for the stands. I know their names, and I feel like it takes away from the "caught in the wild" poses I like to do :)

Yeah, with the other stands you can just flip them around as they're the same on both sides and you're not left with the spot where the plaque was removed. The sand base can only have the crotch grabber in one spot, so even if you don't use it you're left with a hole where it was if you flip the stand around. Not a huge deal, but the sand bases are not as versatile as the Death Star grates, which make for a nice little floor if you add a few together.

Back