Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. This must be the smallest, thinnest, flimsiest (and ergo, the most beat-up) Sideshow shipper ever. It's the equivalent of three sheets of brown paper bonded together. The only protection for such a fragile piece?:dunno

Wow. This must be the smallest, thinnest, flimsiest (and ergo, the most beat-up) Sideshow shipper ever. It's the equivalent of three sheets of brown paper bonded together. The only protection for such a fragile piece?:dunno

I was thinking the same thing. It's like that recycled paper that feels inherently weaker that regular stock. But thats the box they use to ship everything. Ive never see any other manufacturer use that weak of a material.

On top of that, they want to charge you to double box it for shipping, which may have saved the pistons from damage. Other retailers double box their stuff. Not clear why the standards with SS are relatively low on this issue.

The problem with the Tamashii is that while being pristine, it is satin rather than chrome. It looks great weathered, but on its own it looks like its not one or the other (ie Tatooine or ceremony). I'm tempted to take my novice hand to weathering it, but I'm fighting against my mint approach to my figures.

The Tamashii to me looks much more like ANH C-3PO finish. That suite was vacuum metalized (technically not chrome) and the finish resembled a brassy look. I think Tamashii looks a lot like brass in most lighting conditions. It also has that yellowish tint that C-3PO had. He's not too orange or brown either.

I was thinking the same thing. It's like that recycled paper that feels inherently weaker that regular stock. But thats the box they use to ship everything. Ive never see any other manufacturer use that weak of a material.

On top of that, they want to charge you to double box it for shipping, which may have saved the pistons from damage. Other retailers double box their stuff. Not clear why the standards with SS are relatively low on this issue.

Great business model. Force collectors to pay more money for aextra better qualuty cardboard box that should have been used in the first place. Glad I live in Arizona, less miles and hands touching it. Pretty pathetic. Bbts double boxed my Sideshow Keaton that is in sideshows shipper. If no exclusive, bbts gets my business now.

Hey, shipping was only $18....whaddaya expect for such little money? LOL. Yeah, the Shipper was horse****. I kinda hate SSC these days. Cutting corners is not cool.

has anyone else received an email back from sideshow?
I sent mine friday afternoon and nothing yet

I bet they're swamped since many of the 3PO's are arriving at doorsteps. Hopefully they're getting enough complaints about the thumbs, they are thinking carefully about how to handle.

The more I compare the Tamashii and the Sideshow C-3PO's, the more it reminds me of the difference between the life size Don Post 3PO and the life size Sideshow 3PO. Each has their pros and cons, but much of it comes down to the finish.

View attachment 238620

Man, if Sideshow had actually done the color and weathering like the one on the left, I'd be all over it. It might be more ESB than ANH, but it still captures the character perfectly without having to be super shiny and reflective like the Tama.

There's examples of the Tamashii being weathered very successfully. I never get the too shiny comment. You don't need to be a doggone genius to weather the damn thing. :lol Personally I like that it came clean. Weathering is often a cheap way to hide production flaws, so best to leave it to the customer unless they are going for a specific look.

I wasn't complaining about the Tama being too shiny myself, just pointing out that there was no real need for Sideshow to try to make theirs look shiny as well (with a bit of drippy paint added here and there for weathering). And that they could have made it look great simply with some of that flatter ESB-style coloring and weathering instead.

Ah, gotcha, Dave. Looking forward to see what HT does, though I don't think I would have two 3PO's on display. K-3PO might be tempting, even though it's a nobody character.

The Hot Toys is a much better head sculp and painting for Leia and Luke (IMHO). As for Han, I'm still 50/50 in replacing it with Hot Toys.

Yeah, when you have the HT figures in hand they destroy the Sideshow ones... I even had customized versions and the HT still blew those away. While the HT Han isn't universally loved it's still leaps and bounds ahead of the Sideshow figure.

Got my exclusive threepio today, annnnnd whew!

Add me to the happy camper list, no issues with mine what-so-ever and I personally think he looks fantastic. The heavy handed weathering isn't so noticeable at normal viewing distance (to me anyway)

Mine will be here tomorrow, hoping against hope that FedEx will have handled it better than my last 2 deliveries (4 figures) which have all been rather battered!

Back