Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened mine just now. I think it's a beautiful looking C-3PO and the weathering isn't too bad - I've always preferred 3PO looking a bit messy. The waist and thighs feel a bit thick to me, but not enough to throw it off.

Mine had breakages right out of the box - there were some small bits of black plastic floating around in the package. I didn't know where they were from until the left foot fell off - they were parts of the cuff that attaches to the ball joint. Seems it's quite brittle plastic - something to watch out for. Also, the upper 'piston' on the left arm broke at the hoot the moment I (VERY carefully) first bent the elbow. These parts are very small and quite brittle. I'll probably just find my preferred arm position and never move them again, which is a pity.

Then there are those thumbs. Even if my 3PO had no other issues, I'd be contacting Sideshow about those because they are just terrible!!

But overall, I think it's a beautiful figure (though I will admit I'm probably a bit biased - I've loved these characters since I was a boy) and I'm very glad to have it in my collection. I have yet to compare it to my Tama 3PO (which I loved), but as I said earlier, I prefer my 3PO to be a bit world-weathered when posing with my OT characters anyway :)

Love my 3PO (luckily arrived with no damage) but those damn paws are atrocious. The hands are oversized and the wacky thumbs only accentuate the issue.

But in the pose I have it in, the hands are viewed almost straight on and the issues are not as noticeable.

Edit: Forgot to include pic...

IMG_1611.jpg

Last edited:
Its very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very CLEAR that there is a production error on the hands. They are very backward. SS will have to address this.

There is no way its suppose to look this way. I would love to hear what SS says about the production photos versus the real product.

This is a clear error....still happy with the overall, but I will eventually mod it to look right

Really digging this figure...

THREEPIO-008.jpg

The hands aren't driving me crazy....carefully bend the fingers and they look okay. I just can't get over the finish...it's so cool.

Its very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very CLEAR that there is a production error on the hands. They are very backward. SS will have to address this.

There is no way its suppose to look this way. I would love to hear what SS says about the production photos versus the real product.

This is a clear error....still happy with the overall, but I will eventually mod it to look right

The only thing we may hear about this is the sound tumbleweeds blowing by. I submitted my pics of the hands along with a letter, nothing rude or crazy, but just how disappointed I was that a company like SS would allow an error like this pass through their QC, give final approval and ship them knowing customers would clearly see the problem.
So far it's been just the tumbleweeds.

Nice pics, FlyandFight and Jedibear (Jedibear, you are becoming a pretty great 1/6 photographer.)

My thoughts on this guy (other than mine's wonky eyes and piston breakage; will see what SSC can do) - I know there's a glaring QC issue with the thumbs, but stepping back, it reinforces that SSC can nail robots and creatures.

They pulled off the finish really well, even if it doesn't quite have a true mirrored effect, it "appears" to in the way they've done it. Haven't had a chance to pull out the Tama 3PO to do a side-by-side yet. I seem to recall that while I liked the Tama mirrored sheen and clean look, it wasn't quite "yellow" enough for me, and the SSC captures the dulled/darker yellow/brass 3PO of ESB and ROTJ.

I love the finger articulation. The fingers curl in very well - another SSC engineering marvel. Thumb issue aside, the hands do seem slightly out of proportion (will compare to the Tama - it's possible they had to up the scale by 5% to do the finger articulation - but they aren't a dealbreaker.

The ease of turning the eyes on/off is my favorite part of the figure - it's effortless and they look great. Articulation is really well executed. I even love the legs/knees/feet. You could pose him "running" through Echo base. Not much twist to the waist, but the rest of the torso articulation is sufficient and the head has a nice range of movement, more so than the Tama.:clap And I really don't see a huge issue with the painted wires - they look okay.

As I've posted many times, not a fan of the SSC facial sculpt since announcement and unfortunately that didn't change in-hand. The mouth is too high and squared and the head's not slender enough (looking a bit squashed/rounded,) so head-on it does look a bit Clone Wars/cartoonish, especially with the oversized jaw. However, there are some simple mods I'm doing to fix the look - painting the tiny top mouth slot (above mouth opening) gold and widening the actual mouth very slightly either side with black paint. I may subtly add a little weathering to the jaw in a way that obscures the jawline. I think that will take care of a lot of the issue.

Overall, I think this figure really proves that SSC has a lot to bring to the 1/6 SW table, even in the wake of the HT onslaught. Other than real metal and sound, I'm not sure what HT could do to improve on this 3PO. Maybe they could 100% nail the headsculpt, but likely not. HT very nearly messed up Vader's mask sculpt and he ended up with weird claw hands and significant sound/elec function issues, so I would imagine a HT 3PO would have a host of its own issues.

I sent an email on Sunday about the broken piston on my figure and have yet to hear back. I'm hoping they'll do something regarding the break. I'm guessing they're backed up from being closed over the weekend plus Monday.

It might also help to ask about broken parts and 3po's hands on their Facebook page, too. When called out in public it puts more pressure on them to handle a problem.

Sure they will ignore the comments at first (as they did mine) but if all the people who posted here about broken parts and those god-awful comically cartoon hands posted to their Facebook page they would be forced to notice and handle it.

Jesus, those hands are horrendous.

Sean

The left rear piston clamp on mine came broke. I'm torn, do I go through the fuss of getting a replacement? Or attempt a fix? The broken piece is literally the size if a gran of sand. I've never had to return anything or ask for a replacement from SS before. Thankfully the broken piece was still in the plastic clam-shell the figure came in. I'll never find it if I drop it. I'm actually wondering how I'll even pick it up, & get it into position to fix.
& that's an awesome photo, Jedibear!

Back