Sideshow 1/6 bodies - how would you change them?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Re: bodies.

Amber may not be a stick like Alyson or SMG, but she's not proportioned like a Cy either.

And, after Memorabilia a couple of years ago, I can vouch for that. SMG must be teeny tiny...

... which leads to the problem of where you want to draw that verisimilitudinal line ;) 'cos while the initial body might indeed have been SMG thin it's average female height stretched this out too far. Now, if they'd used Obitsu's 27cm doll body for her...

Poor Sideshow, they can probably get away with much more with male bodies than they can with the gals and us slavering fanboys ;)

If we can accept that Pierce Brosnan, James Marsters and Desmond Lleweyln have the same body type, I think I could overlook SMG, Alyson and Amber on the new Cool Girl 2.0 body... just change the size of the ankle cups between figures (and the chest ones too!).

Nick

Re: Better Sideshow male body.

I just looked over the Sideshow male body this weekend. I have found several major problems that need to be remedied.

Sideshow male body problems:

1) Very ugly hip joints.
these are the worst hip joints I have seen. there is waaaay to much gap between top of the thigh and the pelvis. This needs to be fixed badly. I've noticed that my Sideshow figure's hips are also looser because of this joint. And fixing it doesn't mean it loses movement range, Dragon's basic body has quite a bit of a range of movement, and still looks more aesthetically pleasing.

2) Clunky joint articulation.
On most of the joints, specifically the shoulder joint at the upper torso, and thorax joint, they are very clunky and awkward. the range of movement is stifled because I have to force the joint to move which clunks around until it's in the right position. Also, the waist joint is severely limited from twisting left and right.This needs to be fixed pronto.

3) The knees are smaller in thickness then the elbows!
This is very weird but the knees on Sideshow figures are too thin in thickness, the elbows are thicker about the right thickness. The knees are always thicker then the elbows on a human being. also, this is a spot that has quite a bit of stress and actually bowl legs from the wight of the figure. Make the knees thicker then the elbows in all dimensions and you have a winner.

4) Needs smoother, No gap, better designed knee and elbow joints.
I've noticed that the Sideshow elbow and knee joints have a big gap showing the kneecap/"elbow cap" from the front of the arm and the back of the knee. this needs to be more streamlined. I shouldn't be able to see the "elbow cap" of the double jointed elbow joint from the front of the arm. This needs to be re-sculpted/designed so it just has a bit of a seam between the upper arm and lower arm at the joint. also, the forms of these joints should flow into one another more seamlessly, if Dragon can have smother looking elbows so can Sideshow.

5) Ugly second joint in forearm.
This joint needs to be someplace else, preferably closer to the wrist. getting rid of it all together would mean a new type of wrist joint. If a better wrist joint could be made similar to the wrist joints on Blue Box G3.5 wrists, and still have the same great Sideshow hand sculpting, then do it. If the hand sculpting would suffer, then keep it.

6) Better ball jointed head.
When I looked at the Blue Box G3.5 heads range of movement, it had far superior range of movement and could convey a great deal of expression. The lower neck joint at the base of the neck on the Blue Box G3.5 bodies is ugly, so don't copy that one. ;)

7) Needs thicker calves.
the calves on Sideshow figures is just a little too thin. When you fix the thickness of the knee joints, the calves will just need to be made a little thicker then they are now.

8.) Ugly sculpted abdominal muscles!
What were you thinking Sideshow? these look ridiculous. They need to be re-sculpted smother with less definition. It would also be better to even out the asymmetry you have going on right now with these abdominal muscles while your at it. I don't have any problems with the muscles on the chest, they look great to me, just those ugly abs on the stomach. Also, while your at it, there are some lines on the back of the abdominal piece, directly opposite of the ugly abs that need to be smoothed out as well.

9) Needs more seamless wrists.
The wrists look too ugly as they are. they need to be smother and less unsightly. I love the hand sculpts Sideshow does and wouldn't want the redesign to interfere with Sideshow's great looking hand sculpts, or the artists inability to sculpt new ones because of a new wrist joint.

10) Needs better designed wrist pins.
The Pins that hold the hands on have to be redesigned so they aren't as flimsy and breakable. The way they are now makes it difficult to switch out hands, so they need a better more sturdy design.

11) Better designed torso articulation (the shoulder joint on the upper torso, waist, and mid thorax joints).
Besides the chunkiness of the joint that I mentioned before, these joints don't have a very good range of movement. I like the shoulder cups that allow the arms to move further forward and backward, but they are difficult to move. they need to have a smoother, easer range of motion. whatever you do, DO NOT copy the shoulder joint on the Blue Box G3.5 body, that one is uber ugly! For the mid thorax articulation, I would like a joint similar to DC Direct's mid thorax joint. It's the one Marvel developed for their Marvel Legends figures. Using that joint with a better ball jointed waist joint would be perfect! Because the way they are now, Sideshow males can't bend forward at the waist! The Waist joint does need a better ball type joint with a greater range of movement.

12) Make the body lighter!
The body is too heavy as it is, make the body lighter and it would make everything better.

13) A better sculpted butt.
The butt on males is too flat, and the cheeks need to be just a little bigger.

- Just a suggestion that isn't a necessity, how about making the plastic slightly less opaque to allow light into the joint to defuse the shadows?

That's all the problems I could find on the Sideshow male this weekend. I might have some more I'll post here latter. I really hope Sideshow is listening and I'm not just wasting my time!

Re: Better Sideshow male body.

two things i'd like to see are a removable neck post and hands that are compatable with bbi G3.5 and dragon bodies.

Re: bodies.

Nick, you bring up some interesting points, but you also bring up antequainted arguments about the skin issue.

I understand it is a sore point with many people. Due to lack of knowlege or research or simple anti-barbie bias.

I have come up with a simple solution to problem number one on your list so I consider that a non-issue and closed.

Problems 2 and 3 have pretty much been solved by the likes of companies such as Mattel and Hasbro among others.

Problem 4 -staining. This is not due to the skin but rather the quality of the dyes in the clothes. A simple additonal step in the washing process can eliminate this problem.

Problem 5 With newer materials tearing is much less of a risk.

Problem 6 has more to do with the flaws of the actual body and not the skin. The situation is not at all any better without the skin when a body breaks with a skin. Both repairs will show ugly scars.

Problem 7 For those of us who occasionally wash our hands cleaning is not much of a problem ;) Seriously though, if you are adamant about displaying your collection in a pristine form, I must assume you keep it locked up under glass. If you are not shy about posing your figures and even (GASP) playing with them ;) you should not be shy about washing them occasionally either.

Problem 8 If dressing is your goal, you probably don't really care what the body looks like anyway. As I have stated previously, the skin on bodies is not for every character, but for those special circumstances where a skin would be more aesthetically pleasing, ie a figure (usually female) which is showing a lot of skin. The Creature from the Black Lagoon is an example of a male figure which practically required a skin. Besides, if you are dressing a figure designed to be uncovered, you are the one asking for the extra problems.

Would you redress Nova or Leia?? How about Dr
Korrina from Briscoe Co Jr.? What about Oola from Star Wars?? Honey Rider from Dr. No? Ripley Clone No. 8 in the tube from Alien Resurrection? Some character designs just scream for skin.

And finally I find it interesting that you praise Volks who is a leader in the whole skin covered figures technology. Skin just looks better than plastic hinges when skin is supposed to be shown and everyone knows it.

:speech :lol

I forgot one issue for the males;
They need Better jointed ankles.
This joint is typically the weakest joint on a Sideshow body. It's the reason they often need stands included.
It needs to be designed better. I like the movement you get on Blue Box Generation 3.5 ankles, something similar with the same range of movement and stronger then the Sideshow ankles are now would help considerably.

About the "Rubber" skin issue,
I'm personally against it. but if Sideshow is going that way, It has to have a newly designed body! I hate the flesh arms on Dragon figures because they never modify the armature underneath, the result looks tacky. A new 1:6 Armature, looking more closely like a thick skeleton would work better. Also, I think there would need to be vacant spaces near the joints to allow the arm or leg to fully bend as at the elbow. I'm not sure if that would cause it to pinch in the joint, but I never like how "rubber" skin restricts the movement of the figure.

What do you guys think of the ratchet type action that Dragon uses? It seems to hold a postion well enough.

The skin issue is a long way off being perfected by anyone. A skeletal structure with a new foam, that has a self forming skin on one side, might be something to look into.

The figure with the best disguised articulation that I have is the 18inch Art Asylym Bruce Lee. The joints are clevery made to fit the muscled body parts. Still noticeable but much less distracting. That in 1/6 scale would be a huge overall improvement. It does have very weak ankles though. Mainly due to it's weight.

Aside from boot feeted females I haven't had any problems with loose joints in a long time. But the I think there's something about the boot feet plastic being a different type from the ankle joint that just makes those connections extremely loose.

Back