Should they make MORE IJ films after KOTCS? (Without Ford)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a huge Bond fan but if I were alive in 1968 when the same question was posed for Sean Connery I would have been against replacing him. With that being said I believe that the Bond franchise was able to continue because of the great actors that have played Bond since Connery.
Could another actor duplicate Ford's magic with the Indiana Jones character? Who knows, frankly Bruce Willis would have been my choice to replace Ford in the 90's, but today I don't know. Maybe Viggo Mortensen.
For me Indy films need 3 people to make them:
George Lucas writing
Steven Spielberg directing
Harrison Ford acting

If 2 of the 3 are still there, meaning Lucas and Spielberg, and someone else is playing Indy I will go see the film. I just don't know if I will like it.

Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. This would never work like a Bond or a Batman, imho.

However, if it were to continue without him my theory is that Mutt Williams is revealed in KOTCS to indeed be Indy's son (Williams is probably the name of whoever Marion ended up marrying). And because "Indiana" is really just a nickname anyway it's conceiveable that Mutt could take on the mantle of "Indiana" Jones in the future (if he's indeed a Jones, that is).

But still... it wouldn't be the same. There is only ONE true Indy... and that's the man with the chin scar and unmistakable sardonic wit. Irreplaceable.

I just rewatched Raiders, credits rolling now. "Michael Moore" is listed as Second Unit director. That's not the same michael moore, is it?

I'll take all the Indy films I can get, just keep the Spielberg/Lucas duo (I'm not sure if they did the latest together or not, or how many of the original trilogy they did together to be honest). I'm have yet to read the story of new flick, but I hope Shila doesn't become the new lead. He's becoming too much of a mainstream pretty boy for my tastes. I'd have gladly taken River Phoenix, but obviously that won't happen.

Recasting Indy just won't happen IMO. The only way to continue would be Indy the next generation. Ford could still cameo and maintain continuity with his 4 films, much like he did in the Young Indy show. Speilberg really likes Shia and seems receptive to making more movies with him. Shia is overexposed a bit and has played the annoying smartmouth sidekick role a time too many, but he really looks like a young Ford and has the both the sardonic qualities and leading man qualities Indy needs. I wasn't wild about Shia playing his son at first, but the more I think about it the more I think it was the best choice.

Having a new "Indy"ish character for a new generation isn't necessarily a terrible choice, I just have trouble picturing an Indy type story without the professor/adventurer duality and it being set in the 1960s.

Last edited:
How about a movie about Indy's egotistical yet bumbling step-brother 'Missouri Jones' played by Will Ferrell?
I'd gaouge out my eyes, anen replace them withrobotic ones, then " I'd find every copy ever made in ANY format and smash it with a hammer"
Afterworsd, I'd hit wll Farrel in the johnson, with a slegehammer.
Cant. Stand.The. Man.

IF and again, it's a Big IF Shai is good as indy's son in the movie( provided the roumer is true, all we know is he's Marion's son) I can Live with indy Retireing, and passing off the hat and jacket to his son. Who knows, They might Kill indy in the move, and have that Galvanize the character from a goofy kid into an adventurer. I Can't See Anyone Ever replacing Harrason As Indy. I know, they made it work with Bond, and it KINDA works with Superman, but Indy is allmost as Much Harrison as Harrison is indy. These are allmost Impossibe shoes to fill. Harrison will probobly be done with indy after this, It's ashame that Sean Connery did not come out of Retirement for this too, but I get the feeling that Harrison will be joining him after this picture.

Anywho, back on topic, Let's give the new kid a chance, he might actualy be good. I wonder, if they do go that Route, what the next film would be named? heh. :monkey3

It's ashame that Sean Connery did not come out of Retirement for this too, but I get the feeling that Harrison will be joining him after this picture.

His role will be filled by someone else equally interesting who will add a lot more to the Indy mythos than simply rehashing Indy's dad again. Someone familiar yet someone new...

I think the only way we'll see Harrison as Indy again after KotCS is in a cameo role, which is better than nothing.

I've heard Actualy that Connery ALLMOST came out of retirement for a Cameo, but decided against it in the end.
I do know that he was quoted a few years ago saying " If anything could pull me from retirement, indy would be it."

why not just create a new series? it can be similar but different.

i don't think every adventure/treasure hunting/nazi fighting movie has to be an Indy movie. i realize for making money purposes putting the title Indina Jones will bring out more people on opening weekend but if it's a good movie it will still be a success.

i sometimes feel that movie studios just take scripts and replace the main character with a known movie/tv charter in it just so it'll get more attention and more money on opening day whether or not the movie is any good. I’d hate to see that happen with Indy.

As far as Shia having movies after this one if the story is good enough and warrants and he does a good job then I don’t see the problem but wouldn’t the moive be named after his character and not Indian Jones unless Marion had the foresight to name him after Indiana’s dog as well.

I respect your point of view, but didn't people have a similar opinion of Connery as Bond? Like many others I think Connery is the best Bond too, but I think that some of Brosnan's films are just as good. I'm even more encouraged by the direction of the latest Bond film. Why can't Indy be handled with the same care and respect by a different actor? I'm a fan of both the actor and the character. I hate to think that Indy's adventures will end just because Harrison Ford wants to, or needs to move on.

Begin the flames.

I hope to "god" that Indy doesn't go the way of Bond.... So many of those Bond movies are so truly, terrribly awful in so many ways they became cliche'd parodies of themselves. :monkey4 A tired, old joke. Don't know how anybody can watch some of them! (New guy excluded! Hope Craig can make it work)

As much as I love Indy, don't let him linger. Let him die with dignity!

I agree that Harrison IS Indy, and personally I wouldn't be interested in seeing any new films with Indiana played by anyone else.

Franchises like Bond or Batman are different in that it's actors filling the role of the characters that fans are already familiar with. With Indy it's a character being defined by the actor portraying him. Replacing Harrison to continue the franchise would be much harder to accept for most fans.

If they did try to pass the torch to the son character, not sure if a more modern day 1960s era movie would be as fun.....

Indy without Ford = pass

Re: the idea of recasting the character with another actor, I think the fact we haven't had anything since Last Crusade is indicative that that won't happen. For another Indy movie to have been made it's been contingent on all three key players (Ford, Spielberg and Lucas) coming together. The difference between Indy and the Bond films is that the only real Bond constant has been the Broccoli famiy - directors and actors have always come and gone.

That said, I can believe that they may choose to use KOTCS as a launch pad for a spin-off series with Shia - whether that would be successful or not remains to be seen.

And for all the hating on Shia that's been going on, at least the guy has a sense of humor about his name

The only thing Indy I would probably not mind seeing without Harrison is a CGI version with a sound alike voice in a series. So far the newer video game versions have been pretty good so I think they MIGHT be able to pull that off. Another actor playing Indy? No way, couldn't stand Sean Patrick as Indy in the series, wasn't too keen on Phoenix playing the young Indy in Crusade. No one else is able to capture the look, feel, and mannerisms that Ford ingrained in the character.

Speaking of which, I'm sure others have but, anyone else notice the whole Henry Jones Jr.s dog's name was Indiana and Shia's character is named Mutt. Interesting.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's never been an animated series. I'd love to see what Tartovsky would do with the franchise.

Back