My issues with KOTCS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look man. There is no denying kotcs is a disgrace to Steven Spielberg's other three masterpieces.

There should be no discussion at all. It should not and cannot be compared to the other 3 movies.

Its a tough call. I actually think they tried to make it too much like Indie THEN instead of Indie NOW. It has this very slapstick , unbelievability about it, which both Doom and especially Last Crusade also had in bags but get away with because those things were epic back then plus Indie just steals the show in every movie.

Problem is that stuff doesn't quite work now, not with Ford in his current state. I think Pirates of the Caribbean (the original) was the last movie that pulled of the right balance of comedy, slapstick, adventure, mystery etc etc

Look man. There is no denying kotcs is a disgrace to Steven Spielberg's other three masterpieces.

There should be no discussion at all. It should not and cannot be compared to the other 3 movies.

LAST CRUSADE is far from a masterpiece and is not that much better than KOTCS. It does play really well in the theater with an audience, though, so that puts it over the top. But it's hardly a sacred cow and KOTCS doesn't tarnish it.

The only true masterpiece in the series is RAIDERS, which is only one of the very best films of all-time.

I wonder how many people would accept a James Bond style reboot to the series. Some Bonds are better than others. It took a long time to get from Connery to Craig but I'm glad they did.

Hard to say. On the one hand, HF literally owns the role. He helped mold the character to who we know in Raiders. Bond existed as a character before Connery (and Niven) played him.

On the other hand, everyone involved, and I mean everyone--from HF to Lucas to Spielberg to the screenwriters, have tarnished the original Raiders character and world in one way or another, that they should all be banned from any future installments.

I'd be willing to see a Bond type of reboot if it meant they went back to the Raiders tone--gritty, blunt, serious, with real practical stunts.

I just don't see the need for any Indy sequels or reboot. If I want perfection I've got Raiders, if I want a hella fun time with a darker leaning I've got TOD. If I want a subpar Raiders rehash with a dash of sentimentality I've got Last Crusade.

If this were 1986 and Ford were still in his early/mid 40's I'd say make 10 Indy movies back to back. But that's not what they did and nothing else now with "Indiana Jones" in the title will ever fill those shoes.

I say make more of them. I people don't want to see them don't. If kotcs offends them, don't watch that either. I hate reboots. To admit, some worked out great, but a lot didn't. Reboot is the new word for remake. Hf is old but as stated by almost everyone, He IS indiana jones. Don't reboot it. Make sequels and stop. Start a new adventure franchise w/ o the name indiana jones.

You know what's funny? A lot of people want a reboot cause kotcs offended them. Well people, an indy movie without harrison ford? That's offending!

When they made Raiders, the idea was to have an action scene every 10 minutes. They got away from that formula with TOD, but went back to it with LC. That's why the motorcycle chase scene was added in post production on LC. KOTCS had little or no rememberable action scenes, that's why it did not feel like an IJ movie. My two cents.

The main problem is Spielberg and Lucas are way past their prime, and really don't have that spark anymore. Ford seems like he's just stopped caring enough to want to act anymore. They tried to recapture the magic, and cash in, and just fell flat on pretty much all levels. There could've been a great Indy movie somewhere in KotCS, but it got buried between all the characters, bad pacing, bad writing, etc.

Like someone posted above, the last 'true' adventure movie that I saw with the spirit of 'Raiders' was the first POTC film. Of course they rode that franchise off the cliff real quick. I also really enjoy the first Mummy flick as well.

Eh, at this point just make Uncharted movies and put Ford in as Sully.

I wouldn't say Spielberg is past his prime, but he definitely has 2 modes: brilliant and hack (and sometimes in the same movie!). He can direct brilliant movies like Schindler's List, Minority Report and WotW, but he can also create utter utter crap like Hook, Lost World and the Terminal.

I find it particularly sad because I used to practically worship him, before the dark times...before Last Crusade.

He used to have a fairly consistent brilliant record til then (1941 notwithstanding), then he went down hill for a good long time, and then went back to brilliant again. Nowadays it's a little hit and miss.

I wouldn't say Spielberg is past his prime, but he definitely has 2 modes: brilliant and hack (and sometimes in the same movie!). He can direct brilliant movies like Schindler's List, Minority Report and WotW, but he can also create utter utter crap like Hook, Lost World and the Terminal.

I find it particularly sad because I used to practically worship him, before the dark times...before Last Crusade.

He used to have a fairly consistent brilliant record til then (1941 notwithstanding), then he went down hill for a good long time, and then went back to brilliant again. Nowadays it's a little hit and miss.
:goodpost: I agree on this in so many labels !

Back