My issues with KOTCS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp_carrie_fisher_yo_yo_wm_nt_120509_wmain.jpg

I think I see what she's aiming for...

hJuMV.jpg

Yeah, I think you have to go all the way to Kathleen Turner to see a more shocking example of what 25 years can do (helped by booze - though to be fair, she was ill for a few years.) Except Carrie's is more about what booze AND drugs can do when used for decades.

kathleen.png

What an awesome (and different) Willie Scott Kathleen Turner would have made though...

Dead alien body in a warehouse is ok, living aliens that make angry faces at Spalko is George going overboard and no one having the balls to tell him to shut his whore mouth and sit in the corner.Biggest things I'd like to change are :

End the prologue w/ the Rocketsled, transition back to Marshall w/o nuke or interrogation

Fix/shorten the swordfight w/ Mutt and Spalko so it's more brief and believable and w/o any nutshots or straddling the 2 cars

No monkies or swinging, Mutt gets hung up we don't see him again until he just swings out of nowhere into Spalko's car

1 waterfall instead of 3 and not as long a drop

add fight between russians and Ugha

Fix Mac's death to look more believable

No living aliens, no wedding, just change all the dialogue at the end between Marion/Indy/Mutt "Why didn't you stick around dad?" "Somewhere Grandpa is laughing" "Knowlege was their treasure" all of those lines are attrocious.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Good post though.

What an awesome (and different) Willie Scott Kathleen Turner would have made though...

Oh man don't even get me started on that, Kate was the classic stupid bimbo even in real life, If you watch the special features in the old dvds (and I'm sure its in the new blue rays as well) she admmits she didn't even read the script for TOD. She didn't know there where going to be bugs, or snakes, or giant bats lol, she was learning the script as they whent along. THat's very unprofessional for actors...

Oh man don't even get me started on that, Kate was the classic stupid bimbo even in real life, If you watch the special features in the old dvds (and I'm sure its in the new blue rays as well) she admmits she didn't even read the script for TOD. She didn't know there where going to be bugs, or snakes, or giant bats lol, she was learning the script as they whent along. THat's very unprofessional for actors...

By the early 80's movies had already shifted into the mode where they didn't let actors see the whole script to prevent blabbermouths from blowing the ending. Combine that with the black hole in Capshaw's head and you have a powerful form of stupid. Apparently Speilburg thought she had other talents that were appealing.

I like the fact that TOD is the last big film ILM did where there's not digital effects BUT I think a special edition is in order. Here's what I would change:

At the beginning of the film all of her lines would be interupted by Short Round telling her to shut up.

When they bail out of the airplane on the raft, the camera cuts to the wide shot. Have Willie fall out of the raft in mid-air and bounce all the way down the mountain.

Digitally remove her from the rest of the film.

Some things don't make sense any more, such as the falling ceiling scene, but who cares? Willie isn't screaming "Ind-yyyyyyyyyy" every five seconds. People will occasionally talk to open air, objects will move by themselves and float - it will still be worth it.

...and not nearly as annoying.

Actually, thanks for pointing that out, Khev. Turner managed to play a semi-helpless damsel in distress without having to resort to being whiny, whimpery and obnoxious.

I think Willie Scott was awesome and is easily me 2nd favorite character in the series.

Sure she was annoying, brain dead and obnoxious but that was the whole point of the character. Indy and Shorty were annoyed by her throughout the movie ....but just like all through out history and all around the world, guys will put up with annoying obnoxious women if they're attractive :D

And its actually one of the more realistic portrayals of how anyone - man or woman - would act in insane situations like that :D

TOD Willie > KOTCS Marion

Willie is absolutely essential to TOD. She's the person riding behind you on a roller coaster screaming her lungs out. Annoying? You bet, but it wouldn't be a roller coaster otherwise.

Good God, I love Temple of Doom.

TOD Willie > KOTCS Marion

Willie is absolutely essential to TOD. She's the person riding behind you on a roller coaster screaming her lungs out. Annoying? You bet, but it wouldn't be a roller coaster otherwise.

Good God, I love Temple of Doom.

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Yes!!!! All this complaining about Willie must stop!!! Kate actually pulls off a rather hard character to do. She is the slap stick comic relief of the film and she does it while managing to still be attractive.

Kathline Turner, Blah!!!

I'll be objective.

Kate Capshaw was attractive and with better fortunes might have made a decent leading lady. Her performance is probably hurt by the bad dialogue George is famous for. I don't know if any actress could have made all of those screams and "IIIInnnddyyyyyyy"s work. Willie might have been more likable if somone had the guts to point stuff like that out to George and Steven.

-- BUT --

Her character was irritating in TOD. Her character was also irritating in Dreamscape. Her character was also irritating in Space Camp (but so was everything else).

I'll be objective.

Kate Capshaw was attractive and with better fortunes might have made a decent leading lady. Her performance is probably hurt by the bad dialogue George is famous for. I don't know if any actress could have made all of those screams and "IIIInnnddyyyyyyy"s work. W

The TOD script was actually written by Willard Huyck & Gloria Katz, who wrote "American Graffiti" and added the good dialogue to "Star Wars" (i.e. Han/Luke/Leia banter, Han in the Detention Center, etc). Then again, they also wrote "Howard The Duck", so... :monkey1

That said, I still don't understand why more people don't get why Willie is that way in TOD. She's right out of the serialized radio show adventures.

Also, Capshaw did not play the same annoying character in "Black Rain".

There are a lot of people here that can make better movies then spielberg and lucas. Amazing, i hope ya'll make the next indy. It would be perfect hahaha.

Pretty funny that everyone bashes lucas for bad dialogue while he isn't the only one writing. I said it before and i'll say it again. Without lucas: no star wars (and many other fx movies), no indiana jones

Back