Should Hot Toys "RE-DO" their AVP & ALIENS lines?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd get the Dog Alien. Wish they wouldn't have screwed up the mouth like they did, but he's on my Want list... even though the Dog's mouth looks worse than the Big Chap's mouth IMO.
i own the dog alien.
and let me tell you, the mouth is far from the only inaccurate part of that figure.
if you'd like a comprehensive list, just read through the thread devoted to it.
haha, So because YOU think the films are lame they shouldn't be remade? look on ebay, not everyone shares your thoughts.
so, your premise is that some of the HT AVP figures sell for about the same price the Kenner Alien on ebay because everyone likes AVP more and NOT because collectards and scalpers on ebay just buy $#!+ because it's rare.

no....my thing is he is basing off wither they should redo the figures purely based on his own personal biases, not the fact that there is a market for the figures. And please stop with the scalper thing, it's getting old and just doesn't even make sense here. If people weren't willing to buy the avp preds at the prices they're going for no one would make a cent. they go for that price because they're in demand and there is money to be made on them, and last I checked hot toys was a business.

I must have missed that.

And D-Chaos, I do recall that Biehn got a boatload of cash for Alien 3. Whose not to say he might ask for less now? That was over 20 years ago when he was still in the spotlight.

Anyways, the debate about HT's items could go on and on. So if you want a more accurate sculpt of some of the Aliens they might still happen! But it's best said that if you don't like it, don't buy it.

How many of you hate the Big Chap sculpt and still have the figure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefused
right. and that goes back to my first post about HT getting rid of their design/tech team.

i don't mind when McF makes "interpretations" of Alien figures.
nobody had high expectations for them. and the figures were dirt cheap.
HT is another story all together. they can do much better and choose not to.
because "interpretation" is an excuse for lazy sculpting.
and so long as that mindset exists, we'll keep getting funny looking alien figures.

basically, i don't want HT re-doing anything if they're just gonna put out the same inaccurate/flimsy stuff i didn't want the first time around.
give the license to a company that gives a damn about accuracy.
Do you mind giving a clear explanation of what you're looking for?

Yeah, the overall quality of the materials on the old ALIENS and AVP Aliens was crud, but HT itself was just learning.

Consider that there might not even be a plausible rubber and plastic that is long-lasting and damage-resistant that can be produced at a reasonable price.

There ya go.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I think the only reason to re-do the aliens and human characters from the franchise would be to get them accurate and with better materials. Otherwise, what would be the point?
I do believe they would sell well.

@Denger4000:

Totally true.
I got my Celtic off here for $430, and let me tell you, I've got no regrets. What's more, I'm never trading him or selling him. He'll remain the most expensive HT figure I will ever buy, so he's basically my grail. Plus it seems he's even harder to find than Scar nowadays... The value of these babies is goin' up. Hell, I saw a Cleaner Wolf go on auction today for over $200. But a lot of us buy these just because they're cool and we legitimately want them. It's nice to know we own something of value (as always lol), but there's no reason to bash them when plenty of people buy purely for keeps.

no....my thing is he is basing off wither they should redo the figures purely based on his own personal biases, not the fact that there is a market for the figures. And please stop with the scalper thing, it's getting old and just doesn't even make sense here. If people weren't willing to buy the avp preds at the prices they're going for no one would make a cent. they go for that price because they're in demand and there is money to be made on them, and last I checked hot toys was a business.
what?
Hot Toys does not have an ebay store and have no incentive to cater to the secondary market.
they are not in the business of scalping toys on ebay. that's what scalpers are for.
so what are you even talking about?

anyway, you're the one who brought up ebay prices as a metric of the fanbase.
so, do you think ebay is just full of rabid AVP fans trying to make an honest buck?

No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

The only figure I can see really being worth doing is a Scar Predator with the same quality of head sculpt - interchangeable mandibles, loose dreadlocks etc - as the more recent Predators.

But from their business model POV, it wouldn't really make sense. If Hot Toys don't scalp on Ebay, they certainly benefit from it; fear of (or hope for?) rapidly-inflating secondary market prices helps sell the production run quickly. Undermining that by going back and redoing older figures would not really make sense. They've kind of tried it, and I think that the relatively slow sales of the Battle Damaged P2 and Cleaner Kit Wolf Pred led to the "once only" approach they adopted for the original Predator.

In my last post, I mentioned an MIB Cleaner going for $215+ on feeBay. Slowly, but surely... I think the Lost Pred, though, will never go up in value (at least not for a while). He's cool and unique, but a little too unique if you get my drift.
Most entry-level Pred fans/HT collectors wouldn't really be familiar with the character.

Would not b so sure about that Barboon,
Great actor that michael Biehn, but he always wants more cash,
did you know that for Alien3 he got more money for the use of his picture ,then he got for the whole ALIENS movie, now thats ridiculous.

I could be wrong but im sure i heard he only demanded loads of cash cos his character had been killed off, off screen, and then they used his picture, all without telling him or asking his permission for the use of his image. So i think it was more just cos he was pi$$ed off.

Like i said, i could be wrong tho.

Also, i'd love a DX Hicks. I do have the original (and only i suppose lol), but a DX with a proper likeness and more accurate armour, ie the extra little bits of graffiti and a better body would be pretty cool.

Last edited:
I'd kill for a new Hicks and Ripley.
it's definitely a shame that we never got a real Ripley figure.
but if HT can't (or won't) get the likeness, there's really no point in re-doing it.

like i said earlier - give the license to a company that can do it right.
HT had their chance and blew it.

what?
Hot Toys does not have an ebay store and have no incentive to cater to the secondary market.
they are not in the business of scalping toys on ebay. that's what scalpers are for.
so what are you even talking about?

anyway, you're the one who brought up ebay prices as a metric of the fanbase.
so, do you think ebay is just full of rabid AVP fans trying to make an honest buck?

um, really?
I wasn't implying hot toys would sell their stuff on ebay, nor did i mean ebay is a way to judge the fan base. I used ebay as a demand for the figures and i think that's a fair assessment. To make it very clear...I meant hot toys would make money from remaking the preds from AVP because a lot of people want them and still don't have them.

it's definitely a shame that we never got a real Ripley figure.
but if HT can't (or won't) get the likeness, there's really no point in re-doing it.

like i said earlier - give the license to a company that can do it right.
HT had their chance and blew it.

my thoughts exactly , perhaps enterbay could re-do the whole line.
just don´t give it to medicom , i don´t want cartoonish versions of the marines.

then there´s always a posibility of a DX-04 Hicks

um, really?
I wasn't implying hot toys would sell their stuff on ebay, nor did i mean ebay is a way to judge the fan base. I used ebay as a demand for the figures and i think that's a fair assessment. To make it very clear...I meant hot toys would make money from remaking the preds from AVP because a lot of people want them and still don't have them.
if that's what you meant, it isn't what you said. so, sorry if i didn't get it.
and ebay isn't a fair assessment of demand for AVP figures.
it's just an assessment of demand for rare figures.
if you could walk into walmart and buy HT AVP figures today, nobody on ebay would give a damn about them.
my thoughts exactly , perhaps enterbay could re-do the whole line.
just don´t give it to medicom , i don´t want cartoonish versions of the marines.
Enterbay is probably the best choice. nobody beats them on likenesses.
it's just a question of getting the license.
then there´s always a posibility of a DX-04 Hicks
no there isn't.

The marines could use a redo considering the other figures were hideous and I think theres more of a possibility of a dx-04 alien warrior than a Hicks. Instead of movable eyes you can move their little inner mouth watchamacallit.

I still have faith in HT. It's all about finally getting those darn licenses, that's all. Look at the stuff they've been coming out with lately! When those guys get a license, they deliver. No question. If they don't get a license, they can still totally do better. Blond hair was a stretch and they could've legally released the figure even after darkening it up a bit.

@Hysteria: The Aliens already do that. All of them have inner-mouths that come out and snap into place, with the push of a lever :).

ebay is a very fair assessment on the value of something, not what people ask, but what auctions go for. Sorry if this bothers you but the hot toys predators are worth a lot of money and in demand.

ebay is a very fair assessment on the value of something, not what people ask, but what auctions go for.
that's not the argument. you said it's an assessment of demand, not value.
and i just explained to you why that isn't true... twice.

here, watch me explain it again...
Sorry if this bothers you but the hot toys predators are worth a lot of money and in demand.
because they're rare.

i don't get why you think ebay is full of rabid AVP fans.
but i don't care, and i'm sick of going in circles with this. agree to disagree.

Back