Shia Trashes Indy IV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm convinced that the real problem some people have with KOTCS isn't as much about aliens vs religious artifacts as it is the time period. Indy is so identified with the 1930's that to suddenly see him 2 decades later in the atomic age is too jarring.

I absolutely LOVED KOTCS until they got into the jungle; the 50's Indy was really cool (esp the Red Scare interrogation and even the "Fridge Scene") - the wheels fell off after that.

I'm convinced that the real problem some people have with KOTCS isn't as much about aliens vs religious artifacts as it is the time period. Indy is so identified with the 1930's that to suddenly see him 2 decades later in the atomic age is too jarring.

I wouldnt really say so. Aesthetically there isnt much of a difference between the 30s and the 50s. Especially in the bits of civilization in the jungle wilderness, where much of the film takes place.

It really isnt until you get into the 60s that there would be a jarring change to the look of things.

No, the movie has some weird story, pacing, and acting issues throughout. I have no problem with people who dont like it...only those that dont like because of the following

A) Fridge
B)Swinging
D) Aliens

If that's the only reason why you hate the film, you can fudge off. :D

Nope. The first 3 were all done in the same genre. The search for mystical artifacts in a foreign land done in the style of 30s serials. Granted Temple took this concept a bit darker, but it is still the same genre. One that Indy has always been tied to.

Sci-fi is a seperate genre completly.

No, it's not really - at least, not any more than TOD is removed from ROTLA. And the actual plot for KOTCS is more or less interchangeable with the originals, which is half of what makes these kind of myopic complaints so hilarious.

More to the point, this line of argument is completely irrelevant. The entire point is that the first films were a throwback to the serials/pulps of the '30s. If you're going to make the gimmick work with an older Ford, it's only natural to look to the movies/pulps of the 1950s. What do we find there? Spaceships and the Red Menace. Right bang in line with what the Indiana Jones movies were all about in the first place (and incidentally, this approach extends to the TV show as well, which generally told stories in styles relevant to the setting).

southparkindy2.jpg

No, the movie has some weird story, pacing, and acting issues throughout. I have no problem with people who dont like it...only those that dont like because of the following

A) Fridge
B)Swinging
D) Aliens

If that's the only reason why you hate the film, you can fudge off. :D

Why? I think those are valid reasons. Maybe they shouldn't be the only reasons, but I definitely don't think any of those added anything positive to the movie.

The alien thing threw me right out of the movie - Indy is an adventure movie series with a hint of fantasy. That sequence at the end with the alien and the ship took it too far into sci-fi land. I know many people who felt exactly the same way.

I don't think the movie was bad, but it was average at best. And IMO, Shia was actually one of the better things about the movie, and shouldn't feel too badly about his performance.

the problem with kotcs wasn't that they used aliens. the problem was the WAY they used aliens. it was simply poorly written and poorly executed.

the problem with kotcs wasn't that they used aliens. the problem was the WAY they used aliens. it was simply poorly written and poorly executed.

:lecture Yup. The prior movies were adventure movies based on religious artifacts. KOTCS was about....Aliens?? Ok, I'll believe the Nazis are trying to get Alien artifacts, but the last sequence was pure ridiculous. Yes I know Temple of Doom has us believing the guy survives having his heart ripped out and shown to him, but at least Mola Ram had a sweet hat.

Yeah, a magic cup that lets your live forever guarded in a cave by an ancient ghost or a magic box that melts the faces off of Nazis is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more believable than inter-dimensional beings hanging out in some Mayan temple. :slap

Actually, haven't they found Mayan crystal skulls? They look more human, but I think there's some websites talking about them.

Yeah, a magic cup that lets your live forever guarded in a cave by an ancient ghost or a magic box that melts the faces off of Nazis is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more believable than inter-dimensional beings hanging out in some Mayan temple. :slap

Its not about believability. Its about how well the concept meshes with the type of films done earlier in the series.

Not hardly. I'll admit it was odd at first, but I didnt mind the change. I still stand by, if that was your only issue with the movie, you suck. :D

Not hardly. I'll admit it was odd at first, but I didnt mind the change. I still stand by, if that was your only issue with the movie, you suck. :D

No. Not my only issue with the movie. But it definatly was a major one. And considering the huge number of people that feel the same exact way, it is a incredibly valid one aswell.

Actually, haven't they found Mayan crystal skulls? They look more human, but I think there's some websites talking about them.

yes they have. those skulls were carved out of various types of crystals and precious stones. most of them were smaller than life-size and typically meso-american in their styling, but the most famous one, the so-called mitchell-hedges skull (named after the brit lady who supposedly found it in an ancient temple), is an almost perfect 1:1 rendition of the human skull. and the basis for the idea in kotcs. apparently the m-h skull was carved from a single block of quartz crystal and against the crystal's flow of natural grain, which is impossible because it would shatter. these discoveries were made after being scanned at the hewlett-packard laboratory in the 70s, but that's never been conclusively proved.

Its not about believability. Its about how well the concept meshes with the type of films done earlier in the series.

Exactly. Krystal Skull just took it too far at the end.

I've spoken to many Indy fans who share the same opinion, several in real life alone.

Not if that's the ONLY reason it's not.

LOL! Why not? Did not the whole film revolve around aliens? So if you don't like that it's perfectly acceptable to not like the film based off of that.

Personally I found it just plain boring. The warehouse scene was awesome! Felt just like an Indy movie of old. The rest was just meh for me. There really wasn't a point IMO. In Raiders he had to save Marion, Temple enslaved children and collect the stones, Crusade his father and also was after maybe the most desired artifact in all of history to boot. In this one it just seemed like a waste of time. Take alien skull to temple so aliens can fly home. LOL! Who cares about that? The villian was just plain boring as well. She just seemed, well, boring. I tried to like this movie for what it is. I just can't and don't see how it holds a place in the series. It just felt like a hot mess.

I just find it silly that you would hate that in a movie from a series with ____ing God Arks. GOD ARKS.

I agree about the waste of time...I still dont get the final outcome. They got nuthin out of the deal.

Back