Shia Trashes Indy IV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is Shia in every film, same exact person. Even in Tru Confessions, it's still the same Shia.

I always laugh when I read comments about actors like this, we don't know Shia so we don't know if he is playing himself. Now if you are saying he plays a "type" well can you blame him there are a ton of actors who make millions upon millions playing the same type just in different environment and dress: Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Will Smith and the list continues. I don't understand the Shia hate, then again if he wasn't in either of those films he may not be hated but he certainly wouldn't be known.

So wait... the movies are about the artifacts? Hm.. better go tell Lucas that because he's been calling them MacGuffins for years!

Anybody who thinks KOTCS is any campier than the other Indy films is delusional. I love Indy movies because of the campiness.

So wait... the movies are about the artifacts? Hm.. better go tell Lucas that because he's been calling them MacGuffins for years!
Yea, becuase clearly Lucas today is a expert on moviemaking.

And yes, the movies are about the search for artifacts. You also use the word macguffin as if it is a negative thing. All a macguffin is is just an object that drives the story. Nothing wrong with that.

Because its not about thier plausability, but rather how well they fit into the universe already created. After 3 movies and countless EU material firmly established Indy in the public's mind as a series about the search for mystical artifacts, having a movie that was so sci-fi was jarring and out of place.

It would be no different than making another Aliens movie and having it be about the search for Jesus's grave.

There's a few cool Alien comics that deal heavily with religion.

I have never watched the movies for the artifacts. I've always watched them to see Indiana Jones.

And I watch the show House becuase I find the main character intriguing.

But that doesn't mean it wouldnt be stupid if they made an episode where he searches for aliens.

That was already an episode.
No it wasnt. The kid was having hallucinations that he was being abducted by aliens caused by chimerism. House immediatly recognized these as disease induced dillusions and the episode remained 100% grounded in "reality" (despite some stretches in medical logic).

This is one case where my opinion is probably pretty common. I like them in order of their release date: Raiders, Temple, Crusade, and Skull. But similarly, I thought Crystal Skull was alright. It did have its dumb moments, and of course it doesn't stack up to the originals. But was anyone honestly expecting that it might?

BTW, I don't know why ghosts, ancient dead knights, and other mystical forces are OK whereas aliens aren't?

Agreed, I never understood that either.

Bah humbug to you. There were Aliens.

And btw, House looking for Aliens would be far more interesting then some lame sickness.

No it wasnt. The kid was having hallucinations that he was being abducted by aliens caused by chimerism. House immediatly recognized these as disease induced dillusions and the episode remained 100% grounded in "reality" (despite some stretches in medical logic).

Except that's all medical and crime drama shows are are stretches in their respective logic. And the point of the movie was to put Indy into the B movies of the 50s where aliens were huge, just as the point of the first three movies were to replicate the adventure serials of the 30s.

I always laugh when I read comments about actors like this, we don't know Shia so we don't know if he is playing himself. Now if you are saying he plays a "type" well can you blame him there are a ton of actors who make millions upon millions playing the same type just in different environment and dress: Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Will Smith and the list continues. I don't understand the Shia hate, then again if he wasn't in either of those films he may not be hated but he certainly wouldn't be known.

I don't know Shia, but he went to school with one of my friends. She hates him. I don't. I just think he has no range. She hates him because he was a jerk in school. Everyone you listed has range, except for Adam Sandler.

Except that's all medical and crime drama shows are are stretches in their respective logic.
I know that. And I have no problem with that. I just didn't want anyone to call me out on using the word reality when there were a few medical errors.

And the point of the movie was to put Indy into the B movies of the 50s where aliens were huge, just as the point of the first three movies were to replicate the adventure serials of the 30s.
Thats the problem. It took a character that was tied to one genre, and plopped him right into another. It might as well have been an entirely new series starring the same character. When people go to see a sequel, they want something that feels like the old movie(s).

Robert Zemeckis said it best when he said that "Sequels should feel like hanging out with old friends".

It took a character that was tied to one genre, and plopped him right into another.

Indiana Jones wasn't tied to one genre - just look at the first two films! Even when there were only three, the middle one always stuck out. The fourth film is right in line with the spirit of the first three (especially the two original sequels). Of course it had aliens in it, for the same reason the second one had Indian death cults in it. They're period pulp, and once you get to the '50s that means flying saucers.

And anyone moaning about aliens while accepting ghosts, superpowers and magical knights goes straight to the back of the line. :)

Indiana Jones wasn't tied to one genre - just look at the first two films! Even when there were only three, the middle one always stuck out. The fourth film is right in line with the spirit of the first three (especially the two original sequels). Of course it had aliens in it, for the same reason the second one had Indian death cults in it. They're period pulp, and once you get to the '50s that means flying saucers.

And anyone moaning about aliens while accepting ghosts, superpowers and magical knights goes straight to the back of the line. :)

I wish we would get more period pulp movies. Stuff like the Indy movies, a more well done Phantom, a new Tracy movie (I hate that his name is censored so why bother?). So much potential instead of remakes.

Nope. The first 3 were all done in the same genre. The search for mystical artifacts in a foreign land done in the style of 30s serials. Granted Temple took this concept a bit darker, but it is still the same genre. One that Indy has always been tied to.

Sci-fi is a seperate genre completly.

I'm convinced that the real problem some people have with KOTCS isn't as much about aliens vs religious artifacts as it is the time period. Indy is so identified with the 1930's that to suddenly see him 2 decades later in the atomic age is too jarring.

Back