SDCC 2011 Preview Night Passes Already SOLD OUT?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly my point. What some people fail to understand is that BOTH Comic Con and it's attendee have changed. Do you really think if this convention was just about comics, writers, authors, publishers, etc etc. we would be having this discussion? No.

And with that comes a broader demographic and a bigger audience and that's why SDCC is having the problems it's having now. I don't care where you move it to there simply isn't an indoor venue big enough to hold all the people that want to get into some these panels to see their favorite celebrity. People that could give a snot about comics I might add.

Even Marvel, one of the biggest comics publishers in the U.S has relegated it's comic book artists and writers to ONE side table as an after thought in their massive booth to hawk their movies!

Comic Con has become a Pop Culture Con hiding under the guise of a Comic Con, plain and simple. That's why it's the biggest show of it's kind. Other Cons are starting the see the light (read: $$$$$) especially the ones run by Gareb Shamus and his goons and are inviting more and more Celebs to their special guest roster. Go to their website https://www.wizardworld.com/ and what do you find? it's not about comics anymore, it's a Convention page! and this from a magazine that COVERS COMICS!

I love SDCC and have attended EVERY year since 1993 and I would be greatly saddened to see it go but somethings gotta give. Maybe Darklord Dave is right and they should start charging like 500$ a ticket :lol

:goodpost: Well said, IC. I agree with everything you've stated.

Comic con has been more of a Pop Culture Con than a Comic Con for the past 10 to 15 years.

I say get rid of the exclusives. A huge chunk of people going to SDCC are probably just attending to buy stuff to flip.

I say get rid of the exclusives. A huge chunk of people going to SDCC are probably just attending to buy stuff to flip.

That would help with preview night. A lot of the local flippers get 4 day pass go grab everything they can and put it up that night. I would help some overall but I dont think its as big of deal. A lot of people get the EX just to help pay for the trip and likely would still try and go.

I think the best thing they could do is not allow whatever teeny film is coming out to be at the con. This year was much better with no twitards there this year. I remember thursday felt like a sat that year and only got worse, this year didnt feel no where near as crowded.

Doing anything with the Ex won't help much at all. One night which like Marc said PV night but the rest of the show not so much.

I didn't notice any real relief this year limiting PV night at all. So I don't get why they're limiting it unless they are really going to do so plus like I said people where getting in easy this year and it was supposed to be limited. So I'm not totally buying that PV night is sold out until it goes up on the site.

Maybe I should clarify that no exclusives should be sold on preview night. That way preview night tickets might not sell out as quickly.

How about not sell any of the Exc on PN? That would help. I know alot of people go to PN just to buy the rare EXCs to put on eBay. Sad thing too is some bring their kids on PN soley as a means to purchase more. Thus less PN tickets for the rest of us.

Actually, all four days seemed really packed this year. Sunday, I dunno how many stand still lines in halls I came across.

Maybe I should clarify that no exclusives should be sold on preview night. That way preview night tickets might not sell out as quickly.

It was like that kind of the first year or two I went 05-06 I think. PV night wasn't as bad then. However, at the time we only hit 80-90k people at the Con.

Vegas would be waay to hot in the summer and anaheim is run by disney...I also hear they want to keep it in CA...so Los Angeles seems to be the next wise choice. I like SD but its just not working out as the con seems to grow...:lecture

Las Vegas, not a chance.

Thing too is that the con would be alot closer to the "BIG studios" who have taken over SDCC pretty much. Easier access for the stars' n such. I wouldn't be suprised if CC gets moved to Anaheim* or LA.

How about not sell any of the Exc on PN? That would help. I know alot of people go to PN just to buy the rare EXCs to put on eBay. Sad thing too is some bring their kids on PN soley as a means to purchase more. Thus less PN tickets for the rest of us.

Actually, all four days seemed really packed this year. Sunday, I dunno how many stand still lines in halls I came across.

It wouldn't matter because if you bought a 4 day pass it automatically came with the PN until they sold 15,000.

Doing anything with the Ex won't help much at all. One night which like Marc said PV night but the rest of the show not so much.

I didn't notice any real relief this year limiting PV night at all. So I don't get why they're limiting it unless they are really going to do so plus like I said people where getting in easy this year and it was supposed to be limited. So I'm not totally buying that PV night is sold out until it goes up on the site.

Supposedly there were only 15,000 PV night passes this year too...so the number is the same. I think the problem is you have a lot of people who sneak in.

The quote I posted earlier is from the Head of PR/Marketing for Comicon - so I believe that if he says it's sold out - it probably is.

No preview night means picking up the ticket on Thursday with thousands of other people. :gah:

Is there a reason why they don't mail tickets like Star Wars Celebration? Seems like it would be a big time-saver for attendees.

If they do in-person check-in for the sole purpose of making sure people don't resell the tickets, then they need to get over it.

Supposedly there were only 15,000 PV night passes this year too...so the number is the same. I think the problem is you have a lot of people who sneak in.

The quote I posted earlier is from the Head of PR/Marketing for Comicon - so I believe that if he says it's sold out - it probably is.

Yeah, lots of people snuck in. :lol Which might explain why they checked a bit harder the rest of the con.

That may be. I could see them opening up more pv night passes though.

I am sad to miss preview night, but it wont stop me from going and getting 4-day passes. Only thing that could stop me is if everyone buys them up before I get a chance to grab a couple.

This logic makes little sense. You're going to let the fact that you won't get in for a couple of hours on Wednesday night ruin the 4 other full days? :cuckoo:

I go to conventions to meet artists and SDCC is were alot of artist go too. Most artist have a limited supply of stuff (like prints) and therefore run out. This year alot of stuff sold out in Preview Night. Therefore there really isnt a reason to spend $1000+ to go to an overcrowded show and still have to buy the items on ebay. Is that a better reason? you bastard.:lol

This is BS. I was planning on travelling next year and preview night was a must. Will have to rethink now.

No preview night means picking up the ticket on Thursday with thousands of other people. :gah:

Is there a reason why they don't mail tickets like Star Wars Celebration? Seems like it would be a big time-saver for attendees.

If they do in-person check-in for the sole purpose of making sure people don't resell the tickets, then they need to get over it.

I think you can still get you ticket on Wed just cant get in. Not sure. Yeah mailing passes would make sense, its not like they check IDs at to pickup all the time. I know last year I used someone elses reservation and picked it up no problem.

The only thing I can think of why to do it would be forged passes but then they did check passes for hologram this year so maybe that was testing to be able to mail them.

I go to conventions to meet artists and SDCC is were alot of artist go too. Most artist have a limited supply of stuff (like prints) and therefore run out. This year alot of stuff sold out in Preview Night. Therefore there really isnt a reason to spend $1000+ to go to an overcrowded show and still have to buy the items on ebay. Is that a better reason? you bastard.:lol

That seems pretty dumb to sell out of anything thats limited in the first night unless its a big ticket with only a handful of them.

Back