Screen Used Predator 2 Costume with Elder Head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfPredatorAVPR

Super Freak
Reaction score
I did not see this posted but I thought some of you might find this interesting. I am a fan of the new series on SYFY called Hollywood Treasure's that shows the business Profile in History and how they operate. Highly Recommend the show.

One day on the show I noticed what looked like a full size statue of a predator in their office building. Ive seen it I think 2-3 times in the show and never got a good look at it. After searching around the other day on google, I happened to stumble upon the site by accident in discovering they had pictures and information on what the predator actually was.

Happens to be an actual Predator 2 costume screen worn with the Elder Predator Mask. See pictures below and here is explanation on exactly what the costume is.

957. Original Screen-Used Hero Predator Animatronic Mask and Costume from Predator 2. (TCF, 1990) (TCF, 1990) This iconic trophy-hunting extraterrestrial stands an impressive 6 ft. 9 in. (7 ft., 7 in. on base). Featured is the hero animatronic mask of the elder leader of the Predators seen congratulating Danny Glover’s Lt. Mike Harrigan for a battle well done. Servos inside the mask actuate the mandibles and brows. Crafted of foam latex with fiberglass under-structure, painted to the finest of detail, complete with dreadlocks with a grayish hue to signify age and adorned with different ornaments and detail. The hero Predator full body suit was worn by actor Kevin Peter Hall, who is significantly taller than the other Predators in the film. This suit was worn in the sequence when he patches his stomach wound (a silver appliance is still attached to the suit where he repairs himself). Created of foam latex backed with spandex and is complete with trademark netting, two removable weapons: a Predator Flying Disc and Steel Wire Shooter. Both hands are hero—the right is a foam latex glove worn throughout the film and the left hand is from the roof sequence when it is severed from battling with Mike Harrigan. The two hero feet were worn by Kevin Peter Hall. Two gauntlets are present: the left is a hero fiberglass unit with an opening cover when the Predator activates it for self destruction (electronics have been removed); the right gauntlet is made of polyurethane with two vacu-metalized blades extended in “attack mode”. Also present is the hero cod armor, distinctive to the main Predator, as well as various leather pouches and accessories that adorn the costume, some of which are accented with pieces resembling human bones. The costume has been professionally mounted on a custom oversize form matching the enormous size of the actor who wore it. It stands on a custom display with foliage and rocks, adding to the realism of this fantastic piece. An incredible piece of science fiction film history. $60,000 – $80,000

If only I had 80k :)

kinda wish i didn't just get a car. i'd take the bus to work every day and ride wearing that thing.

I think its the body of the "Snake Predator". Dunno, maybe its from another one :)

The hippie predator is in possesion of a private collector, with some visible wear has he said. Since these guys are made from latex, rubber and other non durable materials, they are severely _____*ed up after all these years. Indeed, is almost miraculous finding one in lets say "good" condition like the one of this auction.

Dear Bill Gates would you lend me 80K. Im a good guy :dunno

IMO this isn't a "Hero" costume like it's being billed as. It's a "Stunt" costume.

This iconic trophy-hunting extraterrestrial stands an impressive 6 ft. 9 in.

Kevin Peter Hall was 7 ft. 2 in. without the costume on. All geared up he was at a minimum 7'5".

The hero Predator full body suit was worn by actor Kevin Peter Hall, who is significantly taller than the other Predators in the film. This suit was worn in the sequence when he patches his stomach wound (a silver appliance is still attached to the suit where he repairs himself).

Another reason why I think it isn't a "Hero" costume: KPH didn't wear the suit in that scene. It was stunt double R. David Smith who was specifically brought in because he's actually an amputee.

Here's a pic of him with KPH (notice the size difference) and another pic of R. David Smith on-set in the costume.

24688585.jpg

predator_2_disc2-70.jpg

two removable weapons: a Predator Flying Disc

And this is another problem. The suit that KPH wore didn't have a removable Disc. It was actually a solid piece of latex and the "Disc" shape was considerably smaller than the actual prop Disc size. You can see KPH sitting in a chair here to see what I mean about it being smaller and a single flexible piece:

predator_2_disc2-66.jpg

I think they were billing the actual mask as the Elder Hero Mask but I do agree that the actual costume is not the main Hero Costume used. However it does specify in the description that it is in fact a huge costume. I do not know for sure as I have never seen it up close and in person...and the mere fact I am no expert :( but I will say that they seem to throughly try to make sure everything is exactly what they say it is before offering an item for sale.

I think its the body of the "Snake Predator". Dunno, maybe its from another one :)

The hippie predator is in possesion of a private collector, with some visible wear has he said. Since these guys are made from latex, rubber and other non durable materials, they are severely _____*ed up after all these years. Indeed, is almost miraculous finding one in lets say "good" condition like the one of this auction.

Dear Bill Gates would you lend me 80K. Im a good guy :dunno
seems like a private collector would be able to send it to a FX shop to restore the deteriorating parts. latex is pretty easy to patch up.

Why not include then information then? "Screen Used" and "Screen Used But Restored" is two different things.

Just in general though, the majority of costume pieces/props from Predator 2 are iffy IMO since no one really kept track of them which is evident in the majority of suits being trashed and certain props (like the screen used Spear) being stolen. So there's really no way to authenticate most of this stuff.

Interesting find nonetheless, its always fun to see props (be they hero or stunt). Is that a Terminator exo in the left hand corner for a split second? Surely its not one of the chest/up back-carried puppets! :horror

Its funny when people talk about props being in bad shape "now", when in reality a LOT of these never looked good "then". Movie "magic" has a great way of hiding the actual crudeness of many props. :D

Its funny when people talk about props being in bad shape "now", when in reality a LOT of these never looked good "then". Movie "magic" has a great way of hiding the actual crudeness of many props. :D

Nah what people mean by "bad" is, a few people over at the Hunter's Lair posted up costume pieces from Predator 2 and they were all seriously deteriorated and almost falling apart. That's not "crudeness" that's just the suit materials deteriorating naturally over time.

So when you see this suit that looks considerably better and almost pristine it's kinda confusing.

Personally from watching the show "Profiles in time" are pretty hard core on making sure anything they sale is the real deal. I think I noticed a few times on the show where they would not sale something they could not verify. They get lots of experts that actually worked on the sets of movies and things to make sure this stuff is the real deal. I really dont believe the actual suit was probably the main suit used in the film. I do however believe it was used in the film at some point. If someone who really cared about the suit got there hands on it and kept it out of light, did not move it very much, etc....I dont see why it could not still be in good condition, even being that it is 20 + years old. Most of the props probably were not considered that valuable to people 20 years ago and were trashed or not cared for very well. I think watching film and matching up certain parts of the suit is really the only way to truly tell which suit this was in what part of the film and I am certain that they probably did that.

In either case I just think its a cool find and wanted to share it with some true pred fans on here.

Back