Scarlett Johansson to star in GHOST IN THE SHELL feature film from Dreamworks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2017 is going to be such a great year for mature Sci-Fi.

Yes, GOTG and the MCU will be great.

MvwGTdJ.gif

I can't stop listening to KI Theory's Enjoy The Silence.

Man, did they get this trailer right.

**** annoys me though.

put donnie yen in star wars, and people freak here.

cast motoko kusanagi as scarjo, and its fine, and people who disagree are just a bunch of SJWs!

Kay.

Casting purposes on both accounts are for the same reason, appeal to markets for $$$... but one is worse than the other for some reason.

**** annoys me though.

put donnie yen in star wars, and people freak here.

cast motoko kusanagi as scarjo, and its fine, and people who disagree are just a bunch of SJWs!

Kay.

Casting purposes on both accounts are for the same reason, appeal to markets for $$$... but one is worse than the other for some reason.
Nobody freaked out because they cast Donnie Yen, they "freaked out" (although there was barely any reaction at all), and with good reason, because he was cast as a generic martial arts dude, It's not the same scenario or even a mirror scenario, not even close. One's actually racist, and it's not ScarJo's case.

And yes, ScarJo as Kusanagi is fine, and yes, anyone who disagrees is either a poor SJW or doesn't have a clue about GITS, which are often one and the same, sjw are generally clueless.

If you freaked out because they cast Scarjo and didn't freak out because Donnie Yen is generic martial arts dude, then you don't even know what you're freaking out about and you're contradicting yourself beyond reason.

I'm all for Johansson leading GITS and Nat Wolff & Dafoe starring in Death Note.

The only reason these films are getting the budgets they're getting is that the studios get to sell them through Western re-envisioning. The material isn't affected and the overall product is better because the budgets allow for the stories to be stylistically realized.

studio execs were all like, "Hey, chill, we can cast white-pointers Johansson 'cause Kusanagi is a cyborg yo!"

...and producers be like, "woot yeaaaaww, ain't nobody gonna go all SJW on our ass 'cause we're faithful to source"

...and sycophants be like, "Genius, Malu, pure genius! She be white, but Asian-White... or White-Asian! Doesn't matter! Peen-trembling manboys from L.A. to Tokyo gon break the box office!"

I'm all for Johansson leading GITS and Nat Wolff & Dafoe starring in Death Note.

The only reason these films are getting the budgets they're getting is that the studios get to sell them through Western re-envisioning. The material isn't affected and the overall product is better because the budgets allow for the stories to be stylistically realized.

I wonder what they'll go with Akira, now Akira is a special case because its Japanese roots are a pivotal part of the story, if you take away the Japanese culture of Akira you're taking away half of what makes it relevant and half of it's depth and soul, I suppose you can always repurpose something for a western culture, or make it lighter and focus of just technology instead of Japanese nationalism, but it's gonna lack personality.

studio execs were all like, "Hey, chill, we can cast white-pointers Johansson 'cause Kusanagi is a cyborg yo!"

...and producers be like, "woot yeaaaaww, ain't nobody gonna go all SJW on our ass 'cause we're faithful to source"

...and sycophants be like, "Genius, Malu, pure genius! She be white, but Asian-White... or White-Asian! Doesn't matter! Peen-trembling manboys from L.A. to Tokyo gon break the box office!"

Exhibit A. Beautifully put, couldn't have thought of a better contradiction example myself :lol

I'm more annoyed about attitudes towards everything being SJW. I can't name one hollywood movie that's not martial arts based where the main character is asian. They can't handle that kind of RISK, and it's sad that it's all that it boils down to.

I mean if it wasn't based in JAPAN, it might make a little more sense. But I won't be surprised if most of the main cast is white in this movie with 1 old asian dude or something. The "villain" is probably asian.

You're not going to convince me Motoko Kusanagi is actually in a white woman's body in the anime. She was made to not stick out in a crowd. A white woman sticks out in Japan.

I see people complaining that the Asian theme not fitting star wars more than people having issues with there being a stereotypical martial arts master character. But whatever, who's to gauge how everyone feels about this ****.

Last edited:
I'm more annoyed about attitudes towards everything being SJW. I can't name one hollywood movie that's not martial arts based where the main character is asian. They can't handle that kind of RISK, and it's sad that it's all that it boils down to.
You've said it yourself, it's all about $$$ and that demographic is not big enough.

Can you name one single Asian celebrity who can drive home one of these big Hollywood movies? It was hard enough to find a female lead with enough star power for this one.

I see people complaining that the Asian theme not fitting star wars more than people having issues with there being a stereotypical martial arts master character. But whatever, who's to gauge how everyone feels about this ****.
Well, there is a difference between Japanese and Chinese influence.... Star Wars has the former.

I mean if it wasn't based in JAPAN, it might make a little more sense. But I won't be surprised if most of the main cast is white in this movie with 1 old asian dude or something. The "villain" is probably asian.

You're not going to convince me Motoko Kusanagi is actually in a white woman's body in the anime. She was made to not stick out in a crowd. A white woman sticks out in Japan.
Because they don't pursue a western ideal of beauty in Japan, in a clearly cosmopolitan futuristic city, with a very painfully obvious white looking character, to the point that another body of the same model has blonde hair by default, with clear caucasian features when other characters have distinct Asian features, in a movie there are no weird anime hair colors. in a sci-fi setting.

I don't want to convince you, if you don't want to see it you don't want to see it, but it's there.

Last edited:

Chinas influence is rapidly growing. They will have more control over what hollywood does in the future.

Now. If we could only get a hollywood superhero with a latino actor in the role. Wheres my puerto rican batman???

Back