Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the size will be bigger than the other maquettes but so was the SSW statue for that matter.

That's true Josh, the SSW Sauron was about twice the size of the human characters of the same line, but it did fit in with the others because it was 1/6 scale, just like the rest of the SSW statues. A 1/4 scale PF would be three times larger than any of the 1/6 scale humans of the maquette line and I'm afraid it would stick out like a sore thumb when displayed along side them.

I thought in the Q&A regarding Sauron that it was pretty much hinted at by SS that this would be a duel line type of piece.

I think this is the question you're thinking of where SS remarked it might not 'officially' be a PF statue. Clearly, with today's announcement that Sauron is indeed 1/4 scale, any questions as to what it is have been taken care of.

Monday, January 10th, 2011

Question : Is there any possibility of a Sauron Premium Format and/or a Saruman? I was unfortunate enough to miss all of your previous Sauron products because I just recently discovered Sideshow.

Answer : Yup. Saruman and Sauron have just officially graduated from the candidate list to the confirmed, planned, product line-up for 2012. We’ll be collaborating with Jerry Vanderstelt on Sauron, who may or may not end up “officially” in the PF classification, but will be BIG.

I can easily see Sauron being comprised almost exclusively of PVC, similar to what was done with the Boba Fett PF, especially because of the huge size. The base could be the only part made of Polystone. Cloth cape and metal weapons would round out the "PF" materials. Plus having it made of hollow plastic would allow easier access to any "lighted" features, such as the ring, as well as keep shipping costs from being exhorbitant.

I seriously hope you're wrong. Personally, I think a 'plastic' Sauron would go over like a lead balloon and I just can't see it happening....why not just add some articulation and call it a doll? :monkey3

That's true Josh, the SSW Sauron was about twice the size of the human characters of the same line, but it did fit in with the others because it was 1/6 scale, just like the rest of the SSW statues. A 1/4 scale PF would be three times larger than any of the 1/6 scale humans of the maquette line and I'm afraid it would stick out like a sore thumb when displayed along side them.

This will tower over the maquettes for sure but until or unless we see a "maquette" sauron this will stand in just fine.

I think this is the question you're thinking of where SS remarked it might not 'officially' be a PF statue. Clearly, with today's announcement that Sauron is indeed 1/4 scale, any questions as to what it is have been taken care of.

Yeah, it being 1:4 scale being said that it will be true to the PF line does lean it that direction.

This will tower over the maquettes for sure but until or unless we see a "maquette" sauron this will stand in just fine.

No doubt, having to 'make do' with the PF until a maquette is produced isn't excatly a bad thing....though I do think it morely likely I'll display my SSW Sauron alongside my maquettes, as opposed to the PF. :)

Not a bad option either. If I still had it I'd probably do the same but I'll go for the biggest version yet.

Not a bad option either. If I still had it I'd probably do the same but I'll go for the biggest version yet.

No doubt, this will easily be the largest Sauron ever produced. :google: The SSW version is an excellent statue with very few flaws, but I know there are collectors out there who would have been happier with it had it been a bit larger....

I seriously hope you're wrong. Personally, I think a 'plastic' Sauron would go over like a lead balloon and I just can't see it happening....why not just add some articulation and call it a doll? :monkey3

I understand but I can still see it happening.

The Boba Fett PF was an initial fiasco with the fans but it still sold out because of the character. I see the same thing happening here with Sauron. Just in size alone, it will be impressive (yeah, yeah, "...that's what she said...") ;) and I think people will be willing to overlook the use of plastics because of this. Plus, they can throw in some metal in some of the armor and it would provide additional heft to the piece itself.

No doubt, this will easily be the largest Sauron ever produced. :google: The SSW version is an excellent statue with very few flaws, but I know there are collectors out there who would have been happier with it had it been a bit larger....

Right as great as that piece is this done correctly could be even better which is mind boggling in and of itself.

Awesome news!! At 1/4 scale this is going to be a masterpiece. Let's hope NO detail will be spared in creating this. I dont mind any price just make this THE BEST Sauron out there. No cutting corners!

Right as great as that piece is this done correctly could be even better which is mind boggling in and of itself.

Josh just run away and don't look back. These nerd talks can become quite scary. You been going so far! That or you can up your already insane post count discussing scale sizes, because we as collectors never spend a 100 pages worth discussing that topic to death. :monkey3

hehe

(( (_l_) ))

Comparing statue prices within a specific licence is hard enough, comparing prices using different licences as a benchmark, even moreso......for a variety of reasons. I don't have a clue as to what this is going to cost, but my gut feeling tells me it'll be closer to the $800-1000 range though granted, that could just be wishful thinking on my part. :dunno

And if it has a light up ring and exclusive parts...price goes up...If it had an es of say 5000...yeah maybe then it will be under a thousand....otherwise no way...Dont forget the fabric cost/ labor and freakin shipping cost of a 3 ft statue...remember this is bigger then a cinemaquette size...cost cutting means hollow like Boba Fett.....In my opinion anyone who thinks this will be under a thousand is nuts or just plain dreaming..

Last edited:
I understand but I can still see it happening.

The Boba Fett PF was an initial fiasco with the fans but it still sold out because of the character. I see the same thing happening here with Sauron. Just in size alone, it will be impressive (yeah, yeah, "...that's what she said...") ;) and I think people will be willing to overlook the use of plastics because of this. Plus, they can throw in some metal in some of the armor and it would provide additional heft to the piece itself.

Interestingly enough, on Nov. 10/2005 when SS announced the PF line this line was included their statement :
"Detailed portrait likenesses, expert fabric tailoring, film accurate props and the use of genuine leather and real metal for armor and weaponry will breathe new life into the The Lord of the Rings characters."

SS finally followed through on that promise somewhat when they produced a metal sword for the Berserker PF, but they've never provided real metal armour. As much as I'd love to see metal armour on this one, if given the choice of a plastic Sauron with metal armour or a polystone Sauron with polystone armour....I'll go for the latter.

Name one quality 3ft statue that was under a thousand taller than any Cinemaquette...this is a PF here...real cloth...maybe lightup volcano base with light up ring...metal added if lucky...I cant believe guys think it would be that cheap...hopefully it will be a solid piece...3ft Iron Man and 3ft Endo were 2000 bucks remember

Last edited:
All of a sudden that Alien Big Chap looks like a freakin bargain!...Compared to this one anyway...In my opinion of course

And if it has a light up ring and exclusive parts...price goes up...If it had an es of say 5000...yeah under a thousand....otherwise no way...Dont forget the fabric cost/ labor and freakin shipping cost of a 3 ft statue...remember this is bigger then a cinemaquette size...cost cutting means hollow like Boba Fett.....In my opinion anyone who thinks this will be under a thousand is nuts or just plain dreaming..

Maybe you're right....only time will tell. All I know is that SS has always managed to keep the prices of their LOTR PF statues reasonable. Amazingly, they haven't really gone up in price for 6 years now, and while no doubt the RWOS and Sauron will both test the limits of LOTR collectors it still remains to be seen whether or not they will cross the $1000 barrier. :dunno

Maybe you're right....only time will tell. All I know is that SS has always managed to keep the prices of their LOTR PF statues reasonable. Amazingly, they haven't really gone up in price for 6 years now, and while no doubt the RWOS and Sauron will both test the limits of LOTR collectors it still remains to be seen whether or not they will cross the $1000 barrier. :dunno

What I'm basically trying to say is THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL PREMIUM FORMAT STATUE!...BOTTOM LINE!...PREDATOR PF was 999 bucks at 2 ft...THIS SAURON CROSSES ALL THRESHOLDS IN REGARDS TO PF's!..SIZE! SCOPE! and yes even PRICE!...Can you imagine the awesome rocky base that might come with this one...Hell it might even have the Shards of Narsil or Elendil's Helm on the Floor...Maybe even a whole Numenorean dead body!...Think of the EXCLUSIVE expensive possibilities!...LOL

Last edited:
Name one quality 3ft statue that was under a thousand taller than any Cinemaquette...

Speeder Bike and Scout Trooper PF....$800 :lecture

this is a PF here...real cloth...maybe lightup volcano base with light up ring...metal added if lucky...I cant believe guys think it would be that cheap...hopefully it will be a solid piece...3ft Iron Man and 3ft Endo were 2000 bucks remember

I assume by real cloth you are referring to the cape....the only piece of cloth on the entire statue. :lecture

Maybe a light up base, maybe a light up ring, maybe real metal....I see alot of maybe's so far, but that's about it. Now it's my turn...maybe you're wrong and it won't feature any of these things. :lecture

Are we talkiing about the 1:2 scale Iron Man and the 1:2 scale T-800 Endoskeleton...neither of which was produced by SS? Surely you're aware the Legacy [Iron Man] usually charges a fortune for their products and HCG [T-800] isn't much better. Surely you are also aware the Iron Man statue has been available for almost two years now and the T-800 has been sitting around for over 5 years now! Considering both of these characters are more popular than Sauron just how many years do you think SS wants to have a pile of Sauron's taking up space on their warehouse? And again, why are you comparing products from different licences?....unless you are aware of the licencing agreements SS has with these individual companies any comparisons are meaningless. :slap

This will come in at least $800 if not more.

Man, this piece along with a RWoS p.f. ? I might have to go back and get the GTG piece and just have a couple of p.f.'s that I can call "center pieces" and then keep up with my maquette line.

This will come in at least $800 if not more.

Man, this piece along with a RWoS p.f. ? I might have to go back and get the GTG piece and just have a couple of p.f.'s that I can call "center pieces" and then keep up with my maquette line.

No doubt, 2011 and 2012 are shaping up to be very expensive years where LOTR collectors are concerned. :lecture

Are we talkiing about the 1:2 scale Iron Man and the 1:2 scale T-800 Endoskeleton...neither of which was produced by SS? Surely you're aware the Legacy [Iron Man] usually charges a fortune for their products and HCG [T-800] isn't much better. Surely you are also aware the Iron Man statue has been available for almost two years now and the T-800 has been sitting around for over 5 years now! Considering both of these characters are more popular than Sauron just how many years do you think SS wants to have a pile of Sauron's taking up space on their warehouse? And again, why are you comparing products from different licences?....unless you are aware of the licencing agreements SS has with these individual companies any comparisons are meaningless. :slap

I agree, I think thats a good reason why SS has pretty much come to a halt with the 1:2 pieces for awhile. I do think this will run under 1k, but I would guess it's gonna be in the $700-800 range. The fact that they are doing this piece in house drops the price considerably.

Back