Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16)

I see a young female in trendy outfits and armor who is gunna take on a big bad empire by working with a rebel group, maybe even as a less than willing participant... sound familiar? probably lost some family too

Couldn't be Star Wars without that, now could it?

So, you liked her outfit, I didn't really notice it.

Who in Star Wars hasn't lost family?
Luke is an orphan
Leia is an orphan
Anakin is an orphan
Han's not exactly an open book, so who knows.
Wait! Chewie has family! Remember life day? That worked out great.

So where did the idea that Rey is overpowered and a "Mary Sue" type of character come from? Did someone online just will the idea into everyone's consciousness or something?

When I saw it in theaters for the first time, I thought the same thing (without the Mary Sue term obviously), it was pretty evident and eye rolling on the first viewing. I go on to post my thoughts and lo and behold I find thousands of like minded individuals, some on this very forum. There must be something to it, don't you think? Where would people get this idea in their heads if it wasn't atleast partially true.

I think everyone thought the same thing.

Never heard the "Mary Sue" term before. Then watched the Redlettermedia review and Mary Sue was brought up. Ever since then, I see and hear it all the time.

Couldn't be Star Wars without that, now could it?

So, you liked her outfit, I didn't really notice it.

Who in Star Wars hasn't lost family?
Luke is an orphan
Leia is an orphan
Anakin is an orphan
Han's not exactly an open book, so who knows.
Wait! Chewie has family! Remember life day? That worked out great.

its like that show "the 100", trying to pander to a demographic of young adults/teens and directing it toward hot female leads cause it makes the women feel empowered and the men get some eye candy and action

I seriously don't understand why so many on here feel so offended by having 2 female leads over the course of 8 movies.

The Katniss remarks don't strike me as being terribly valid either, or is it just your experience with a lead woman in an action film is limited to The Hunger Games? She could be just as much a Ripley as a Katniss. If anything, she's neither, as both Katniss and Ripley were thrust by external forces over the course of the films to become tha type of character, it appears the Rogue One girl is already kind of a bad ass to begin with.

I just tire of the whole Females can kick as much if not more butt then the males thing... Imagine if Black Widow had some super powers... The Avengers would not stand a chance :lol

I like watching films with strong woman ( Fury Road / Salt / Black Widow / Wonder Woman / Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon etc... ) I just don't think every action film needs one and they all seem to have that. Probably why I loved the Raid and Raid 2 so much :lol. But if it's putting butts in the seats then who am I to argue. :lol

So I got this wrong, thought this was supposed be about the Battle of Jakku

But this takes place before ANH and these are bothan spies?

I thought the bothans got the plans for the second death star?

I think Bothans were for the second deathstar, but yeah this is a prequel to a new hope

Only ever heard the "Mary Sue" reference here, but maybe I'm just not in the loop.

The very first person I saw using the term "Mary Sue" was Max Landis not long after the film came out. After that, people started using it to describe Rey, but I felt she was too perfect when I saw the film, even though I wasn't necessarily familiar with that term.

I think Bothans were for the second deathstar, but yeah this is a prequel to a new hope

Is Whitaker supposed to be like Darth Malgus

Why are they doing this? Thought Rogue was Canon and Disney didn't want Canon

Rather see a Jakku battle film

She can't be Rey's mom if Luke wasn't even in the Rebellion yet?

The very first person I saw using the term "Mary Sue" was Max Landis not long after the film came out. After that, people started using it to describe Rey, but I felt she was too perfect when I saw the film, even though I wasn't necessarily familiar with that term.

This guy is either a geek or gay. Sounds like he has no life, Rey's hair looks better than his

Is Whitaker supposed to be like Darth Malgus

Why are they doing this? Thought Rogue was Canon and Disney didn't want Canon

Rather see a Jakku battle film

She can't be Rey's mom if Luke wasn't even in the Rebellion yet?

are you drunk? :lol

This line of questioning is confusing me...

disney wants cannon. A prequel can be cannon, theres really no issue. Katniss is not reys mom, though I could see her hooking up with obiwan to be grandparents. Jakku battle film could be alright but its been covered (or being covered) in Battlefront

I like that the old sound effects are used.. The blasters sound like Star Wars blasters. One of the things that I was really disappointed in with TFA was the lack of using those original sound effects.. The Blasters where different and the Falcons guns were different also. Took me out of the SW Universe a bit.

Wtf is up with Guyver? his little sister "hack" his account? what a ****

I'm not seeing a Katniss connection with this girl other than the fact that they're, well, girls, and in a tough situation, and fighting bad guys, which is the same for about every character in every movie ever created.

So far I'm liking her way more than Rey, the super-powered messiah Jedi with zero depth/substance.

I don't get why so many people are whining about female heroines when we barely have any as it is.

This guy is either a geek or gay. Sounds like he has no life, Rey's hair looks better than his

Maybe that true! But he's still 100% right. IMO :stormtroo

Back