Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16)

War movie set in the Star wars universe?
Reshoot to lighten up the mood?
Way to go to **** up an interresting project.
Godzilla and monsters had cool tones, direction was pretty cool.
The big mistake is that we get to follow soldier boy instead of his father who was far more interesting.
**** Disney.

Until somebody at Disney or Lucasfilm either officially states that as true or (in the very least) somebody in the know is willing to come forward and put their name and reputation on the line to confirm it, it's all rumor.

Reshoots are nothing new in big budget movies, nowadays I'd say it is quite common, just most films aren't put under the Internet microscope like Star Wars is.

It's kinda different when the studio publicly announced they are not happy with what the director has done and that at least 4 weeks of additional shooting is added 6 months before release. 4 weeks... Of actual shooting, not prep. That's a LOT of screen time.

It's kinda different when the studio publicly announced they are not happy with what the director has done and that at least 4 weeks of additional shooting is added 6 months before release. 4 weeks... Of actual shooting, not prep. That's a LOT of screen time.

True, 4 weeks is quite a bit. True or false, I'm just saying that at this point, without somebody willing to admit openly and stake their reputation on it, that it's just rumor. If its true, it will eventually come out, it always does, but it might take years. Eventually the beans are either spilled by the Director or writer, someone who's feelings got hurt in the scramble.

Yeah, **** Disney! Trying to make their movies all good and stuff.

Yeah seriously, they have 6 months til release, they should be spending that time lamenting that the movie is no good instead of doing something about it!

No matter how good or bad it is, there will always be complainers about the finished product, but don't complain about them trying to make sure it is good.

tumblr_inline_o1l26lcvpS1r79k32_500.gif

What they think they're doing and what they're actually doing MAY be two different things.

We won't know until December (if ever... the original cut may be buried forever).

What they think they're doing and what they're actually doing MAY be two different things.

We won't know until December (if ever... the original cut may be buried forever).

Of course. But considering the director's track record of paper-thin humans running from widely spaced out, if well done, creature appearances - my gut says they are probably trying to flesh it out in addition to whatever cross-pollination add-ons they've hatched. There were rumors from the start that the script was not top notch.

I know, Evil Disneyblahblah, but even when they eat the curb it's not for lack of trying. They are a money making beast but their way of reshaping usually involves getting the most talented people they can and throwing more money at them. It's a franchise, no, Captain, it's THE franchise. :lol

I'm worried the rumors of them wanting to add "levity" and mess with the tone are the real reason behind these reshoots. If so, that COULD turn out to be a damned shame, because an actual, gritty war movie without the usual Jedi stuff that we were sold on at Celebration last year promised to be a nice breath of fresh air.

in addition to whatever cross-pollination add-ons they've hatched.
That notion, frankly, scares the crap out of me. These don't need to be like the Marvel films in that way.

There were rumors from the start that the script was not top notch.
Yes, but Christopher McQuarrie (perhaps the best script doctor in the business right now) was brought in to tighten it up just prior to filming.

The main thing here is I hope they're putting their trust in Kathleen Kennedy and the talent involved more than their own fears over what they (as executives) think a Star Wars film should or should not be. If not, then just fold up Lucasfilm entirely and cut the damned pretense.

I'm worried the rumors of them wanting to add "levity" and mess with the tone are the real reason behind these reshoots. If so, that COULD turn out to be a damned shame, because an actual, gritty war movie without the usual Jedi stuff that we were sold on at Celebration last year promised to be a nice breath of fresh air.

That notion, frankly, scares the crap out of me. These don't need to be like the Marvel films in that way.

Yes, but Christopher McQuarrie (perhaps the best script doctor in the business right now) was brought in to tighten it up just prior to filming.

The main thing here is I hope they're putting their trust in Kathleen Kennedy and the talent involved more than their own fears over what they (as executives) think a Star Wars film should or should not be.

I wasn't aware of the gritty war-movie line they were towing since I haven't followed this too closely but it is of course present in the teaser. Adding levity makes me think of the additional Thor/Loki scenes in Thor2. So I will agree that could be a concern.

I have to say, I can't imagine them NOT trying to emulate the Marvel model. Particularly in this sort of "new frontier" of original characters running around the beloved tropes of the SW OT heyday. That doesn't really bother me. But as you say the proof will be in the pudding.

To JYE's post about tone, Star Wars has also got the nostalgic farm living Luke, funny robots, wise-cracking humor from Han, spitfire Leia, etc. I think I see what the producers are saying about the tone of Star Wars overall, and it's certainly not primarily one of dread and suspense, though that is obviously in it. It's first and foremost a fantasy adventure yarn. Seems like they're trying to fit Rogue One into that peg, though I'm not sure if it's needed or even appropriate.

Yeah seriously, they have 6 months til release, they should be spending that time lamenting that the movie is no good instead of doing something about it!

No matter how good or bad it is, there will always be complainers about the finished product, but don't complain about them trying to make sure it is good.

I wasn't aware of the gritty war-movie line they were towing since I haven't followed this too closely but it is of course present in the teaser. Adding levity makes me think of the additional Thor/Loki scenes in Thor2. So I will agree that could be a concern.

I have to say, I can't imagine them NOT trying to emulate the Marvel model. Particularly in this sort of "new frontier" of original characters running around the beloved tropes of the SW OT heyday. That doesn't really bother me. But as you say the proof will be in the pudding.

In Anaheim last year, Kennedy and Edwards played a special "sizzle reel" trailer that was full of dread and more than once said the film was basically a cross between gritty modern war films like Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan and Star Wars.

Disney knew this. It's what they greenlit. So if it's true that they're swooping in in the 11th hour to change it because they fear it might not make a gazillion dollars then that's some wretched ********, imho. Especially after Kennedy & company delivered unparalleled success with TFA.

In Anaheim last year, Kennedy and Edwards played a special "sizzle reel" trailer that was full of dread and more than once said the film was basically a cross between gritty modern war films like Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan and Star Wars.

Disney knew this. It's what they greenlit. So if it's true that they're swooping in in the 11th hour to change it because they fear it might not make a gazillion dollars then that's some wretched ********, imho. Especially after Kennedy & company delivered unparalleled success with TFA.

I'm sure it's just because the Wampas weren't up to snuff.

giphy.gif

Back