Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue one: Spoilers confirmed! You are warned do no read these are real

Anyone else like and noticed the presence of Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba? I love those small connections to Ep IV. They really showed some love for the OT.

If anyone missed that, they are not a true SW fan. :lol

But I agree. Alot of little nods and they didn't feel forced.

Funny thing, that was one of the stuff that irritated me most and I found it extremely forced, just like Jango-Boba or Anakin building 3PO in the PT. :lol Maybe it was because they tried to fill this kind of nods in every scene: the blue milk, the Yoda lantern, the prison cell with Death Star walls, the Saw crew with both Imperial and Rebel helmets and so on...

I can't believe they actually DID the Vader brawl at the end like all the fanboys wanted. That was pretty frickin' cool I have to say.
This movie is very rich with a ton of callbacks. In all, it was amazing to see Vader, Tarkin and so many OT characters back on the big screen. I felt the story moved quickly. However, I'm not sure I cared about anyone of the "heroes". Cassian kept me curious after he kills a guy in his opening scene, which was good. Jyn... well, she's cute, but I had no vested interest in why she was getting pulled around in so many directions. Maybe if she tried to get away in the beginning instead of just going along with whatever the rebels told her to do she'd have been more interesting. Not sure why Saw was even in this, nor his 'truth octopus'. But I did really liked the underused "Two Tubes". Now he was a true OT type character. But the movie around the heroes was eye-popping magic and totally the kind of Star Wars movie I have been waiting for them to make for decades. It definitely has its pluses AND minuses though.

We HAVE to get a Tarkin figure from this movie. He was even more evil here than in ANH. He looked CGI'd half the time but not in a bad way. But his "acting" was excellent.

You pretty much summarized what I feel about the main cast. And while I enjoyed Tarkin, I think it's still way too early for this kind of CGI actor performance. I'd prefer a shorter cameo (Leia style) or some wiser camera angles to hide the blatant special effects.

Rogue one: Spoilers confirmed! You are warned do no read these are real

Funny thing, that was one of the stuff that irritated me most and I found it extremely forced, just like Jango-Boba or Anakin building 3PO in the PT. :lol Maybe it was because they tried to fill this kind of nods in every scene: the blue milk, the Yoda lantern, the prison cell with Death Star walls, the Saw crew with both Imperial and Rebel helmets and so on...

You pretty much summarized what I feel about the main cast. And while I enjoyed Tarkin, I think it's still way too early for this kind of CGI actor performance. I'd prefer a shorter cameo (Leia style) or some wiser camera angles to hide the blatant special effects.

I'm sure there was major discussions on how much to add and take away. Probably why some the reshoots were done. You are right though too much gets to a point where you "eye roll and yell we Get It! This is a Star Wars movie! Stop with all the nods and callbacks!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there was major discussions on how much to add and take away. Probably why some the reshoots were done. You are right though too much gets to a point where you "eye roll and yell we Get It! This is a Star Wars movie! Stop with all the nods and callbacks!!"

The worst for me was Bail Organa saying that "his Jedi friend" served him well during the Clone Wars. :slap

Rogue one: Spoilers confirmed! You are warned do no read these are real

I'm going to say it again. Do not watch the Vader scene that has leaked online!! I repeat do not watch it! I wish I had waited till tonight. Damn spoilers!

Someone should insert it into the last trailer and release it with an Added Footage tag and ruin it for everyone who watches it. Now that would be a Spoiler scandal!! LOL. (I'm only joking, no one do it for real, as it would piss a lot of people off from fanboys to Disney executives!!)

Yeah, just ran a search and it's all over the net about the scene being released. I'm sure Disney is not happy right now!

Last edited:

The worst for me was Bail Organa saying that "his Jedi friend" served him well during the Clone Wars. :slap

I really don't mind these little things. The milk, lanternin etc. It's supposed to be the same universe, and I can buy that Bail conversation and him sending Leia to get him. Makes sense to me.

I really don't mind these little things. The milk, lanternin etc. It's supposed to be the same universe, and I can buy that Bail conversation and him sending Leia to get him. Makes sense to me.

To each his own. :)
Anyway the movie has its moments. Apart from the Vader scene (tha was great) I really liked alla the starfighter action we got and some of the environment is much more visually interesting than what we saw in TFA. Jedah with the giant Jedi statues, the refinery planet, Scarif...everything was pretty much great. I also liked the nods to ANH early draft, like the Force of the Others and the Blue Squad. :lol

And where exactly is Vader castle? In the italian version that was the only location without a caption. Was it Mustafar?

To each his own. :)
Anyway the movie has its moments. Apart from the Vader scene (tha was great) I really liked alla the starfighter action we got and some of the environment is much more visually interesting than what we saw in TFA. Jedah with the giant Jedi statues, the refinery planet, Scarif...everything was pretty much great. I also liked the nods to ANH early draft, like the Force of the Others and the Blue Squad. :lol

And where exactly is Vader castle? In the italian version that was the only location without a caption. Was it Mustafar?

I agree.

Also, is Jedha named after Jedi, since they had such a large prescence there?

The enviroment were great, I liked the city that Cassian is in at the start. And him killing the contact to eliminate traces was a nice introduction, made me consider that he would actually kill Galen. And gave me vibes of the Han/Greedo scene with Han shooting first.

No captions here in Sweden for the planet, but I assumed it was Mustafar.

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED*

Seeing it tonight in IMAX 3D, yay. Going to be about -5 outside where I'll have to wait in line, not so yay. My theater doesn't have assigned seating yet. I know, it ridiculous. Last year the line for TFA was over 3 miles long. Thank the Lord I was very close to the front of the line. Hopefully my boss will let me leave early enough to get there at a decent time.

Seeing it tonight in IMAX 3D, yay. Going to be about -5 outside where I'll have to wait in line, not so yay. My theater doesn't have assigned seating yet. I know, it ridiculous. Last year the line for TFA was over 3 miles long. Thank the Lord I was very close to the front of the line. Hopefully my boss will let me leave early enough to get there at a decent time.

What! That's crazy!

I think that instead of a new SW movie I'm going to go see La La Land tonight, you know it's the smart thing to do because it's Oscar material.....

ThCiZAH.gif

Last edited:

Seeing Saturday.

With a buddy that is in full on fanboi hype mode. Keeps texting me, dying to share all the spoilers he has read for the last year. I keep telling him it will suck and already know Vader is in it.

Oh noes, usually with big blockbusters like this i always try to request half a day off work a month before to prevent issues in my case such as holiday traffic, but its all up to my work to see what jt does for me.

In other news strolling by my local Walmart, saw the new black series just put up, but i was thinking about spending the 19.99 they usually run for, but the store still rang them up with the sale they got going on with the previous series for 15.99, i got krennic so far but i want them death troopers bad!!!
40a54411a21fb72e9f717334e89b055a.jpg

Seeing Saturday.

With a buddy that is in full on fanboi hype mode. Keeps texting me, dying to share all the spoilers he has read for the last year. I keep telling him it will suck and already know Vader is in it.

lololol

Soundtrack has leaked for those who want to hear it....

Gah!! Go see this movie :panic:

My Spoiler Free Review:

Plot:
This is Star Wars, literally.....Wars. You get to see for the first time a glimpse into the reality of galactic civil war, the despair, desperation, violence and tension, the good that comes from it, and the bad that follows. The plot for the movie is simple, its good vs evil, but with a lot of layers to it. Theres a lot of interesting characters and sub plots, and its all fleshed out nicely and placed among the back drop of something big. The films plot is very well paced and doesn't feel long or short but just perfect. There are tense fast paced moments and slow dramatic moments that grip you, draw you in to the very final scene.

Action:
This is a Star Wars movie, and it has everything that you want and none of what you don't. no trade agreements or boring scenes debating, every scene that slows the pace is gripping as if it were action, and the action is jam packed into the rest of the film, you get space battles, ground skirmishes, small tense battles and epic character moments, as well as space battles on a much smaller, but grander scale. The action really captures the essence of war.

Characters:
They grow on you, from the get go, there wasn't one character I didn't like in some way, even if I had reservations before, everyone was great, down to the acting and the writing, everyone has a part to play and they play it well. You feel for the characters and pick up on subtle things like their internal struggles and what drives them, no ones story is left unexplored as much as it needs to be. One thing this movie does well is blur the lines between being good and bad, many characters motives might be good but their morals are questionable at times, this is another way it shows the reality of war, both sides do harm and theres only allegiances to causes

Cinematography and SFX:
This gets a special mention, because I don't think I've ever been this impressed by a Star Wars movie, the space views, landscapes, atmosphere on the planets and in the action sequences are jaw dropping, whether its the view from a spaceship or a landing craft, or even a dramatic shot overlooking a cliff or platform, its very well shot. You actually get a great idea of the scale of things small or big. The Special effects and CGI are also top notch, Star Wars is known for its colorful alien characters, well they are so well done in this it makes them look like practical characters or effects, and some you'll think traveled through time

Overall:
Go see this. Even if you don't like Star Wars or follow it the story is amazing on its on merits, as is the directing and acting. Theres action, drama and just an overall satisfaction to what you get to experience. Its just that good and well worth the price of a ticket. 9.7/10
I can't give it a 10, but it's close to perfect for a Star Wars movie, if you want to feel nostalgic about the OT this will please you, if you were hoping to see something, chances are it happens, and if you just want to be entertained then this is the movie for you. I dropped the .3 points because theres some inconsistency with some characters choices and some small pointless scenes that I felt could have been cut

TL;DR: This is a great movie and I recommend seeing it if you can

Favorite thing in the movie: K-2SO

Gah!! Go see this movie :panic:

My Spoiler Free Review:

Plot:
This is Star Wars, literally.....Wars. You get to see for the first time a glimpse into the reality of galactic civil war, the despair, desperation, violence and tension, the good that comes from it, and the bad that follows. The plot for the movie is simple, its good vs evil, but with a lot of layers to it. Theres a lot of interesting characters and sub plots, and its all fleshed out nicely and placed among the back drop of something big. The films plot is very well paced and doesn't feel long or short but just perfect. There are tense fast paced moments and slow dramatic moments that grip you, draw you in to the very final scene.

Action:
This is a Star Wars movie, and it has everything that you want and none of what you don't. no trade agreements or boring scenes debating, every scene that slows the pace is gripping as if it were action, and the action is jam packed into the rest of the film, you get space battles, ground skirmishes, small tense battles and epic character moments, as well as space battles on a much smaller, but grander scale. The action really captures the essence of war.

Characters:
They grow on you, from the get go, there wasn't one character I didn't like in some way, even if I had reservations before, everyone was great, down to the acting and the writing, everyone has a part to play and they play it well. You feel for the characters and pick up on subtle things like their internal struggles and what drives them, no ones story is left unexplored as much as it needs to be. One thing this movie does well is blur the lines between being good and bad, many characters motives might be good but their morals are questionable at times, this is another way it shows the reality of war, both sides do harm and theres only allegiances to causes

Cinematography and SFX:
This gets a special mention, because I don't think I've ever been this impressed by a Star Wars movie, the space views, landscapes, atmosphere on the planets and in the action sequences are jaw dropping, whether its the view from a spaceship or a landing craft, or even a dramatic shot overlooking a cliff or platform, its very well shot. You actually get a great idea of the scale of things small or big. The Special effects and CGI are also top notch, Star Wars is known for its colorful alien characters, well they are so well done in this it makes them look like practical characters or effects, and some you'll think traveled through time

Overall:
Go see this. Even if you don't like Star Wars or follow it the story is amazing on its on merits, as is the directing and acting. Theres action, drama and just an overall satisfaction to what you get to experience. Its just that good and well worth the price of a ticket. 9.7/10
I can't give it a 10, but it's close to perfect for a Star Wars movie, if you want to feel nostalgic about the OT this will please you, if you were hoping to see something, chances are it happens, and if you just want to be entertained then this is the movie for you. I dropped the .3 points because theres some inconsistency with some characters choices and some small pointless scenes that I felt could have been cut

TL;DR: This is a great movie and I recommend seeing it if you can

Favorite thing in the movie: K-2SO

Thanks for that review !! looking forward to see it tonight !!!

Back