Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16)

Come to think of it his battles with you were probably the last ones I remember before he stopped posting.
He probably realized the world was lost to the millennials and ended it all right then and there.

Not only me though, he had one nemesis in each thread, I was just the MoS thread keeper.

Poor ol' chap, he was a trooper.

Quit bringing up memories of ROTS and "Nooooooooooooo":gah:

:lol I'm sorry.

Unless he's here under some other name he's been gone for ages.

difabio? :lol

He probably realized the world was lost to the millennials and ended it all right then and there.

Not only me though, he had one nemesis in each thread, I was just the MoS thread keeper.

Poor ol' chap, he was a trooper.

yup, every thread was a battle with him, it was fun sometimes.

Not funny enough! Try again!

Sgt.Hartman.png
:monkey3
"Rough One: A Disney Story"!

thumb.png

Sir.

I gave it a read because as a fanboy any discussion on Star Wars is interesting to me, so thanks for posting it, but I'm not buying the arguments presented.

From the article:

“[The repeated patterns] also allow, through variations, an emotionally and intellectually complicating emphasis upon difference and change. The broad pattern of human life, from youth to maturity to death, remains constant, but individual circumstances within the pattern inevitably differ, creating different possibilities and problems.”

To me, this passage literally says "Life is the same but different for each person."

Recognitions of broad patterns in human history aren't new either. Regardless if Lucas came up with his narrative structure independently or via the generous over-analysis of critics, fans and intellectuals, it fails to elevate Star Wars with some hidden artistic and dramatic cachet reserved for those who can recognize it.

I would also like to add that even if you're following the shot-by-shot analysis at face value, the comparison between ROTS and ROTJ is a wild stretch in both tone and structure.

Also from the article:

"It also allows us to gain a much greater understanding and appreciation for the films, and gives us a deeper sense of the magnitude of Lucas’s accomplishment."

Even if I accept that he carefully composed the films as such, his materials were still poor. Like constructing a mansion out of styrofoam and bubble-wrap. Impressive structure, lousy materials.

Interconnectivity be damned, he failed to make good films. For myself, this doesn't detract from the two *great* films he made, or the cultural event that was the OT; but I'm not swallowing all this post hoc, pseudo-intellectual praise I see heaped on the "complex, hidden structure".

What has me stoked for ROGUE ONE:

1. Ben Mendelsohn
2. Darth Vader
3. Gareth Edwards

Finally, though, I’d be remiss in not pointing out perhaps the most significant correspondence that exists between The Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi.

The bodily function humor.

Yes, fans who decried the inclusion of both a “poop gag” and a “fart joke” in a Star Wars film may now find some solace in the fact that they were meant to serve, at least in part, a greater purpose: to connect the beginning of the ring to the end—or more accurately, the other end. Because Jedi, if you’ll recall, includes two “burp jokes.”

It’s nice to see Lucas isn’t taking this whole affair too seriously.

S-see! There's a good reason why Lucas had toilet humor in TPM! There's hidden artistry in that pile of poodoo Jar Jar stepped in!

I gave it a read because as a fanboy any discussion on Star Wars is interesting to me, so thanks for posting it, but I'm not buying the arguments presented.

From the article:

“[The repeated patterns] also allow, through variations, an emotionally and intellectually complicating emphasis upon difference and change. The broad pattern of human life, from youth to maturity to death, remains constant, but individual circumstances within the pattern inevitably differ, creating different possibilities and problems.”

To me, this passage literally says "Life is the same but different for each person."

Recognitions of broad patterns in human history aren't new either. Regardless if Lucas came up with his narrative structure independently or via the generous over-analysis of critics, fans and intellectuals, it fails to elevate Star Wars with some hidden artistic and dramatic cachet reserved for those who can recognize it.

I would also like to add that even if you're following the shot-by-shot analysis at face value, the comparison between ROTS and ROTJ is a wild stretch in both tone and structure.

Also from the article:

"It also allows us to gain a much greater understanding and appreciation for the films, and gives us a deeper sense of the magnitude of Lucas’s accomplishment."

Even if I accept that he carefully composed the films as such, his materials were still poor. Like constructing a mansion out of styrofoam and bubble-wrap. Impressive structure, lousy materials.

Interconnectivity be damned, he failed to make good films. For myself, this doesn't detract from the two *great* films he made, or the cultural event that was the OT; but I'm not swallowing all this post hoc, pseudo-intellectual praise I see heaped on the "complex, hidden structure".

Yeah, I don't think the writer is trying to argue the movies (any of them) are good or bad, but the argument for what Lucas was trying to do seems solid to me.
I agree that the comparison between ROTS and ANH are the thinnest of the three (according to the theory ROTS is coupled with ANH), but they are still quite clear when laid out the way he did.
Also, his argument for the role that TPM plays in such a ring structure makes sense when looking at the themes of the movie and what it sets up.
Of course it's a stretch to think Lucas had a six-part ring structure in mind when he started working on Star Wars, but, at the very least, once he started thinking of the prequels it's quite obvious he must have been setting up the structure very deliberately. The oft-mocked "it's like poetry" quote clearly shows his intentions.
So, while this doesn't make the prequels (or any of the movies) better or worse, it does show what a visionary Lucas is, and the depth and care of his artistry. I find it quite remarkable.

Yeah, I don't think the writer is trying to argue the movies (any of them) are good or bad, but the argument for what Lucas was trying to do seems solid to me.

I worked in independent film for a while, with directors of varying stripes. Many of them saw themselves as great artists (the best amongst them did not but viewed it more as a trade) -- and carried a particular conceit that they were executing an esoteric narrative code, which served to elevate their work.

I have no problem believing Lucas found this narrative structure and tried to apply it to his work; but I've always seen him as a visionary whose creative growth was stunted by circumstance and ego. He is as flawed (and arguably as great) as his films.

So, while this doesn't make the prequels (or any of the movies) better or worse, it does show what a visionary Lucas is, and the depth and care of his artistry. I find it quite remarkable.

If he had grown and matured as a creative, he may have done something great with it, but I think he failed. But credit where credit is due, what a spectacular, world-changing failure, with moments of sheer brilliance. I'd be lucky to ever fail like that.

Back